U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:39 PM

13,907 posts, read 8,525,466 times

Advertisements

I need to find a new mystery writer; I've about "exhausted" James Lee Burke, Michael Connelly, Ace Atkins, Robert Crais, Stephen Hunter, Sue Grafton and James Ellroy; have recently been exposed to (and disappointed by) James Patterson, Stuart Woods, Nora Roberts, Lisa Scottoline and Nelson DeMille. Elmore Leonard and Ridley Pearson are so-so.

As I think is apparent, I prefer regional settings over the major cosmopolitan cities, domestic rather than foreign, ad something that goes back i time a little, but not to much (1930-1959 us about right).

Suggestions are welcomed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 AM

18,689 posts, read 22,435,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
As I think is apparent, I prefer regional settings over the major cosmopolitan cities, domestic rather than foreign, ad something that goes back i time a little, but not to much (1930-1959 us about right).
It's not a series, but check out THEY CYPRESS HOUSE by Michael Koryta. A crime thriller set in the Florida Everglades at the height of the Depression. It does have a supernatural element.

Another great stand-alone by Michael Koryta is the new FOR THOSE WHO WISH ME DEAD. Great crime story set primarily in the wilderness of Montana.

And while I'm recommending Koryta, check out THE PROPHET, set in a small Midwestern town. It's been described as one part Friday Night Lights, ten parts great crime thriller. Not a bad summary. Main characters are the local high school football coach and his bail bondsman brother who were marred by a traumatic event in their past.

Try C.J. Box's Joe Pickett books. Start with OPEN SEASON. Great adventure mysteries set in smalltown/wilderness Wyoming. The main character is a Wyoming game warden.

Try William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connor books. Start with IRON LAKE. Set in a tiny north woods town in Minnesota. The main character is a former sheriff turned fry cook. Really good bringing in the local cultures of the area, both white and Native American.

I just finished A KILLING IN THE HILLS by Julia Keller. It's the first in a series, the first two of which are out, and the third is imminent. It's really good. Set in a small town in West Virginia coal country. The main character is the local prosecuting attorney.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:49 AM

19,699 posts, read 17,676,186 times
There are some good suggestions here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/books...ler-crime.html

Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 AM

3,948 posts, read 2,456,233 times
Try Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series set in Three Pines, Quebec -- very charming.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 AM

214 posts, read 198,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I need to find a new mystery writer; I've about "exhausted" James Lee Burke, Michael Connelly, Ace Atkins, Robert Crais, Stephen Hunter, Sue Grafton and James Ellroy; have recently been exposed to (and disappointed by) James Patterson, Stuart Woods, Nora Roberts, Lisa Scottoline and Nelson DeMille. Elmore Leonard and Ridley Pearson are so-so.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Wow! We appear to have very similiar tastes in crime novels, as James Lee Burke is my all-time favorite author, and I also enjoy Crais' Elvis Cole books; James Elroy; and of course the "old master" Elmore Leonard.
Having said that, I think you would enjoy a guy named Linwood Barclay. He's a canadian and has been around awhile and write crime novels/thrillers. One of his recurring protagonists is an ex-cop turned private dick named Cal Weaver. Cal sometimes reminds me of Elvis Cole. I am reading a Weaver story right now, in fact, entitled "A Tap on the Window." I'm about 3/4 of the way thru and am enjoying it very much.
Greg Iles is another writer you'd probably like; a lot of his stories are set in the South, as are JLB's. For Coben, home is Natchez, MISS instead of New Iberia, LA, and he does an excellent job of setting the atmosphere for the reader (almost as good as JLB).

Lastly: Harlen Coben's Myron Bolitar novels are cool too. Myron is a sports agent who often ends-up getting in dicey situations where he has to help people, and he has a nasty, enigmatic sidekick named Win. Those two remind me a lot of Elvis Cole and Joe Pike sometimes.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 AM

12,270 posts, read 10,030,249 times
Check out the Virgil Flowers series by John Sandford, author of the excellent Prey series. Dark of the Moon is the first title in the series. Virgil Flowers works for Lucas Davenport but he's not stuck in an office and the series has a lighter feel to it than the Prey books. A highly recommended summer read. FictFact - Virgil Flowers series by John Sandford

Also, Michael Sears is quickly turning into one of my favorite authors. He writes the Jason Stafford series, starting with Black Fridays, about an ex-Wall Street trader turned convict attempting to connect with his autistic son after two years in prison. An investment firm asks him to look into possible problems left by a junior trader who died recently in an accident, and all hell breaks loose. Michael Sears is not only a good mystery writer, he creates incredibly interesting characters. He has a third book coming out in 2015. FictFact - Jason Stafford series by Michael Sears

Last edited by Dockside; 08-01-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 04:26 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,436,796 times
How about Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series? It's set in almost-contemporary Trenton, NJ.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 AM

18,539 posts, read 11,611,152 times
I second John Sandford. I like the Prey books and they're mostly in a city. I prefer the Virgil Flowers books but he travels a bit and ends up in rural setting sometimes.

Robert Parker's Spencer series might be something you'd enjoy, as well as his Jesse Stone books.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:02 AM

6,549 posts, read 9,980,496 times
I have read all of the Dr. Alex Delaware series, written by Jonathan Kellerman. Some are great; some ok.
He tends to fade out in the end, but they entertain me before nighty night.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:19 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,849,657 times
I don't generally care for series mysteries...they get a little formulaic.

I don't know if you said you've read Patricia Cornwell. I like her a lot! Very smart. She writes about Richmond VA where I used to live.

I've been reading Peter Abrahams mysteries, very good, not serial in nature but I love the way he writes.

How about Tony Hillerman? I really like the Indian Reservation Setting, I suspect because it is so foreign to me. I don't know about native american culture so it makes the mysteries themselves less predictable. And he has two detectives he uses together but they take the forefront in different books, so you get two points of view.

Alexander McCall Smith? He has a few different series in different locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or