Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:35 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times

Advertisements

Have you read the 200 'best American novels'? | Art Beat | PBS NewsHour

I have read some and own several more that I have yet to read. Interesting list though. A lot of them I do not recognize, but if a book description does not interest me, I'm likely to forget all about it shortly thereafter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 08:54 AM

2,322 posts, read 922,879 times
It is an interesting list. I also didn't recognize a lot of those titles. I checked off the ones the I was absolutely positive that I had read and it was probably less than 10% of those books.

I was surprised to see Fahrenheit 451 in the top 10 above Moby Dick, The Sun Also Rises and Catch-22 in the results when I took the survey. Probably need to move F451 up my to-be-read list

Thanks for sharing the list.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Thanks for posting this!

As you and I have discussed before, "best" is so subjective. Well, no, we never talked about "best" -- just "good." Same thing. That's not to say that I don't like these lists -- I do! I do! I always find new books to add to my list of books to read. As if I need more. Ha!

The list is in chronological order, by date written. I wonder why it ends in 1987. There must be at least one "best" that was written in the last 27 years, no?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Thanks for posting this!

As you and I have discussed before, "best" is so subjective. Well, no, we never talked about "best" -- just "good." Same thing. That's not to say that I don't like these lists -- I do! I do! I always find new books to add to my list of books to read. As if I need more. Ha!

The list is in chronological order, by date written. I wonder why it ends in 1987. There must be at least one "best" that was written in the last 27 years, no?
I love these list specifically for their (the ) subjectivity. Give this assignment to 10 people and some titles would overlap but some entries would probably appear in less than 25% of the list while still others would probably be unique. I too need no more books to add to my list, which is why I will be closing the tab shortly

If I read the article correctly it appears that the list that we see is actually a combination of two individual lists. One person decided to list the top 100 books between 1770-1985. A second person had issues with the first person's list and decided to add to the list extending her time period to 1987 to include Toni Morrison's Beloved.

The author engages readers by asking:

What are the novels you would add to this list that were published since the mid-80s?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
I love these list specifically for their (the ) subjectivity. Give this assignment to 10 people and some titles would overlap but some entries would probably appear in less than 25% of the list while still others would probably be unique. I too need no more books to add to my list, which is why I will be closing the tab shortly

If I read the article correctly it appears that the list that we see is actually a combination of two individual lists. One person decided to list the top 100 books between 1770-1985. A second person had issues with the first person's list and decided to add to the list extending her time period to 1987 to include Toni Morrison's Beloved.

The author engages readers by asking:

What are the novels you would add to this list that were published since the mid-80s?
I'm terrible. I scrolled right past the article and went to the list.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I'm terrible. I scrolled right past the article and went to the list.
You are too funny FWIW I didn't read the article either. I just assumed the author didn't want to make the list any longer than 200 titles. I noticed the cut-off but didn't question it until you did That's when I went back, read the article and came back here like a know-it-all

Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this!

We sure have! Lists are fun for the pure entertainment factor. Unless there is clear data to back it up (which I probably wouldn't bother reading anyway), I chalk it up to whatever that particularly person or group came up with. Lists for fact make me think of how studies show this...blah, blah, blah. You read the study and find out only like 1000 people were involved in the study. Well that sure indicates that to be fact then...

There was some list that came out from the BBC that got altered a bit that was on FB a few years ago, and I liked that one. I liked it because it had a lot of books I had read and would be interested in reading on it. My sister asked me why I was keeping that list as the list to follow so I told her that - I like it.

I used to have a lot of books with lists that I read for fun. Haven't gotten one of those in years though.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
You are too funny FWIW I didn't read the article either. I just assumed the author didn't want to make the list any longer than 200 titles. I noticed the cut-off but didn't question it until you did That's when I went back, read the article and came back here like a know-it-all
Hahahaha! You're still better than me -- I noticed the cut-off and STILL didn't bother to read the article.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Hahahaha! You're still better than me -- I noticed the cut-off and STILL didn't bother to read the article.
I didn't read it either!! I also didn't read the one on FB that was mentioned in another thread, where you tag 10 people to list 10 books off the top of their heads that have stuck with them. That was an interesting one to look at too. A lot of recent fiction on that one, stuff I'm probably more likely to go "investigate".

Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I didn't read it either!! I also didn't read the one on FB that was mentioned in another thread, where you tag 10 people to list 10 books off the top of their heads that have stuck with them. That was an interesting one to look at too. A lot of recent fiction on that one, stuff I'm probably more likely to go "investigate".
I see those "tag 10 people" book lists on FB and I think, "Just move on by, Dawn! Keep walking! You don't want any more ideas!" But then you know EXACTLY what happens. Sure you do. I can't help myself. I go back and look at them all. ALL OF THEM. And on each list, if there's a title that I've never heard of, I LOOK IT UP ON AMAZON. Yes. Yes, I do. And that's why I have 43 million books on my "to read" list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books