Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

I waited and waited for it to come to me from the library. (There were 85 people ahead of me on reserve).
I finally got it, sat down and read the first couple chapters (actually more than that) and then quickly lost interest. His writing has gone downhill with every book, I think. It's like he starts off really well, then loses his way because the story gets too confusing, too muddled up, and really unbelievable. It just is not exciting or scarey, the way he used to write.

I am not going to finish it. At this point, I could care less if the sniper kills anyone or not. Jack Reacher, you are on my yuk list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 11:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I think that happens when authors write so many in a series. I am still fairly new to Jack Reacher so I have a bit to go before I burn out.

Try Robert Crais. You might like his Elvis Cole and Joe Pike novels. Joe Pike reminds me a little of Jack Reacher.

Robert Crais: Novels in Order

Old 10-13-2014, 01:59 PM

Yes, I have read all of Robert Crais.
I need another "hero" to get my juices going again.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, I have read all of Robert Crais.
I need another "hero" to get my juices going again.
LOL…too funny. If you want some man candy you can try Suzanne Brockmann's Navy Seal "Troubleshooter" books. The characters are not as intense as Jack and Joe but they are fun reads
SuzanneBrockmann.com Troubleshooters - SuzanneBrockmann.com

I like Noah Bishop also…very mysterious, lol.
New York Times Bestselling Author Kay Hooper

Old 10-14-2014, 06:39 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Lee Child's stuff is VERY hit and miss. I've enjoyed the Reacher books written in third person, but those written in first person tend to lose me in the first few chapters.

Since it's getting near Halloween, you should check out THE TOMB by F. Paul Wilson. I would describe it as if Jack Reacher was a lot less Rambo and more Charles Bronson --- and he fought monsters.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 AM

Yes, I agree with the hit and miss part. When I first discovered Lee, I could not get enough of his books and read one after the other, falling in love with Jack Reacher! Then the horried film came out (I really dislike Tom Cruise anyway) and after that nothing about Jack Reacher was the same for me.

Do you think Child's talents have diminished because he is getting older? Or is he just writing so fast to get something out there, that he doesn't care anymore? So disappointing.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 PM

90 posts, read 128,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I think that happens when authors write so many in a series. I am still fairly new to Jack Reacher so I have a bit to go before I burn out.

Try Robert Crais. You might like his Elvis Cole and Joe Pike novels. Joe Pike reminds me a little of Jack Reacher.

Robert Crais: Novels in Order

I love Crais' Elvis & Joe novels. You get the best of both worlds: Elvis' wry humor and Pike's bad-azz stoic "Reacher-Like" persona.

Other great crime writers I enjoy:

James Lee Burke and his Dave Robicheaux/Clete Purcell books

Harlen Coben's Myron Bolitar series

Most of what Linwood Barclay writes is page-turning excellence!

Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffin_Ready View Post
I love Crais' Elvis & Joe novels. You get the best of both worlds: Elvis' wry humor and Pike's bad-azz stoic "Reacher-Like" persona.

Other great crime writers I enjoy:

James Lee Burke and his Dave Robicheaux/Clete Purcell books

Harlen Coben's Myron Bolitar series

Most of what Linwood Barclay writes is page-turning excellence!
All good ones

Michael Connelly is also good.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:25 AM

So I finally finished it, after having just about 70 pages left to read.

Lee Child has become too wordy for me, I determined. I love snappy, precise dialogue, little description, and more surprise. Whatever happened to Child in his writing career ? This was the worst of his series and if they make a movie about this one, I won't be there.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:09 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Lee Child has become too wordy for me, I determined. I love snappy, precise dialogue, little description, and more surprise. Whatever happened to Child in his writing career ? This was the worst of his series and if they make a movie about this one, I won't be there.
I've read them from the beginning and recommended them to so many customers over time. I think this happens to many authors who ride along on a single trajectory to success, they've just used everything up. There's nothing new to explore. Maybe he needs a new character, a new series.

I won't be at any Jack Reacher movies...the thought of Tiny Tom being in my head whenever I read one of the books makes me wanna barf. So yes, while Personal was a bomb for me too, I will get the next one which will probably be the deciding factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books