Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 08:34 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times

Advertisements

I read on several of the threads that many of you do the audio books. I am really wondering about this- can you share what you do while you are listening?
I tried it once or twice, and learned about me that certainly I am not meant to do this while driving but I wonder what else people do.
I am looking for tips to try this again.
I do love reading, but as I work at the computer all day long, at night I tend to surf the web but I guess it's less stress on my eyes than actually reading a book. I feel like I am too tired to focus on a book at night. Sometimes in the early morning I can sit and read before work, but I though I might try the audio books. thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
For me, I listen to them ONLY while driving. Since that doesn't work for you how about while doing boring chores like cleaning the bathroom or folding clothes? My neighbor listens to them at night while she's in bed but I know I would fall asleep and then have to hunt next time for where I left off. That sounds annoying.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
I only listen to them if I am driving alone or doing a household activity that is going to take a while and could get monotonous. I always listen to audio tapes when I paint a room or refinish a piece of furniture. Choosing my audiobook is part of my "prep" work. It also keeps my husband and kids from bothering me while I'm working because they HATE audiobooks!

Old 11-03-2014, 04:49 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,886 times
I agree with both responses posted. I started listening to audiobooks while taking long walks but soon started listening to audiobooks while driving and while doing household chores and/or yard work.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:28 PM

461 posts, read 509,213 times
I love audio books. I have a job that requires a lot of driving to far away places and I am also stuck in traffic alot. The book helps keep my sanity during the traffic. Intstead of getting impatient with it, I can destress with my story. Traffic is usually pretty slow so I don't have to worry about listening and paying too much attention to the road. If traffic is moving along at a good clip I don't listen. For my long drives it is great as it relieves the boredom and the repetitveness of the same songs being played over and over. This also helps as I almost never have time to read anymore but like a good story.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:14 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Yep, I started listening to audio books as a relief from my 45-minute commute home from work every night. I'm "driving" but not very fast, haha.

I also listen to them while exercising, be it on a walk or on an elliptical, something like that.

Cleaning house or yard work. Makes the task SO much more enjoyable while listening to a good book.

I listen on my iPhone, so I don't have to worry about missing texts or phone calls. I can really just get lost in a book while puttering in the yard.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I'm a terrible listener. I don't think audio books are for me. But, I have a question. How do you know where you left off if you don't listen to the whole thing in one day? You know, suppose I listened to an audio book on a long road trip but then I wanted to play some music for awhile so I removed the CD. When I put the book CD back in, how would I know where I need to start?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:21 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
CDs are broken into chapters. You just forward to the chapter like you would forward through songs.

I listen on my iPod via Audible.com and OverDrive (public library). Both of those apps remember where you left off.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 AM

120 posts, read 167,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm a terrible listener. I don't think audio books are for me. But, I have a question. How do you know where you left off if you don't listen to the whole thing in one day? You know, suppose I listened to an audio book on a long road trip but then I wanted to play some music for awhile so I removed the CD. When I put the book CD back in, how would I know where I need to start?
You need a MP3 player with bookmarks capabilities.
I listen book when I have lunch, when I have running, when I can't sleep ... I love to read and I love to listen audiobook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books