Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 01:36 AM

23,562 posts, read 12,535,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Never before published in English, the first edition of the Brothers Grimms’ tales reveals an unsanitised version of the stories that have been told at bedtime for more than 200 years.
Grimm brothers

Princeton University Press..
Grimm, J. and Grimm, W., Zipes, J., et al., eds. and trans. Dezsö, A., et al.;: The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm: The Complete First Edition. (eBook and Hardcover)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 01:49 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I'm not sure where she got it from, but when I was a small one, Mom got a copy of Grimm's fairy tales. I suspect it was from the neighbor next door where she grew up since she'd been a midwife in Baveria. But she started reading and stopped and said we were listening and wanted her to finish... She did but I would guess it was highly edited. The version she'd gotten was the translated German version of the origional stories. She got the sanitized version and we weren't nearly so interested.

When I took German in high school the special readings in the book were folk tales, some printed, some not. Some of the language was archeic but we liked getting through it, since it was ever so much more interesting than what' we'd heard. they had the original Cinderilla too.

I think a lot of parents would be surprised at how interested their kids would be in the origional tales. Might be a book to add to my library......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books