Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:06 PM

210 posts, read 393,954 times

Advertisements

I'm mostly interested in the Kindle, but I'd be willing to try out the other brands if they were available to sample. I'm guessing maybe Future Shop and/or Best Buy? I tried 2 Wal-Marts in my area with no luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 05:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Best Buy I believe has them on display for a hand's-on look.

Barnes and Noble no doubt has the Nook...

Old 11-20-2014, 05:30 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
I tried the different Kindles at Staples.
Then went home and bought a Paperwhite.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:01 PM

210 posts, read 393,954 times
Thanks. We don't have Barnes & Noble where I am, but I can check at Staples and Best Buy. I assume Chapters must have them as well, and for sampling?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I'm guessing that you're in Canada. When I lived in the States, my local library (at least the one in MA; I don't know about the one in CT) had them for loan. Maybe call your local library and ask?

Edited to add: Hey, Wal-Mart has a 90-day return policy, I believe. I'm guessing that Staples and Best Buy do, as well. Why not buy one and see if you like it? If you don't, return it to the store.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:22 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Chapters doesn't sell the Kindle though. They have their own version of an e-reader, called the Kobo. I would vote for a Kindle based on the fact that Amazon rules the world and I wouldn't want to waste my money on another kind of e-reader only to find I can't get the books I want.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Chapters doesn't sell the Kindle though. They have their own version of an e-reader, called the Kobo. I would vote for a Kindle based on the fact that Amazon rules the world and I wouldn't want to waste my money on another kind of e-reader only to find I can't get the books I want.
I have both -- the Kindle and the Kobo. When I moved back here (Montreal) from the States, I discovered that my local library lends out e-books, but they weren't readable on the Kindle, but they were on the Kobo. So I bought a Kobo Mini.

OP: Now you have to buy BOTH! Sorry!

Old 11-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I have both -- the Kindle and the Kobo. When I moved back here (Montreal) from the States, I discovered that my local library lends out e-books, but they weren't readable on the Kindle, but they were on the Kobo. So I bought a Kobo Mini.

OP: Now you have to buy BOTH! Sorry!
Could that be because your Kindle is US?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Could that be because your Kindle is US?
My Kindle *is* American, yes, but it's the format of the books that make it not work, I think. (I tried once.) It's EPUB or whatever.

Can you load books onto your Canadian Kindle for any source other than Amazon? I thought that Kindle and Amazon were totally interconnected and proprietary.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
My Kindle *is* American, yes, but it's the format of the books that make it not work, I think. (I tried once.) It's EPUB or whatever.

Can you load books onto your Canadian Kindle for any source other than Amazon? I thought that Kindle and Amazon were totally interconnected and proprietary.
I googled Kindles and it seems that at least at some libraries the Kindle Fire works at libraries here.

Me, I've always preferred to own my books but I also don't belong to a library since the one nearest me jacked the rates up way high. I was very irritated based on the fact that the town in which the library is wouldn't even exist if not for the outlying business from the farmers. That was about 15 years ago. And last night I googled their website (I remember the rates as going up to around $300 back then) and they seem to have dropped their out-of-town rates to a much more reasonable price. ($90 with a rebate applied on the spot from the municipality). So obviously other people must have been similarly outraged.

But in any event, I always preferred to own my books and I'm not likely to rejoin the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books