Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:35 PM

296 posts, read 315,854 times

Advertisements

After reading a really good book by an author you hadn't previously read before, do you then go back and read all of their published works in chronological order? Or do you read their most notable works first and then get to their less known ones?

I'm just curious as to what others do, because for some reason I don't feel right unless I read an author's books in order, even if they are standalone books that aren't a series. I can't explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 02:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,864,197 times
You're not crazy. Or maybe I'm just as crazy as you are. I read them in order, unless one (or more) is just totally not my cup of tea, in which case I skip it altogether.

PS. I never read series (serieseseseses, as I call them).

Old 12-12-2014, 03:05 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,732,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterojunction View Post
After reading a really good book by an author you hadn't previously read before, do you then go back and read all of their published works in chronological order? Or do you read their most notable works first and then get to their less known ones?

I'm just curious as to what others do, because for some reason I don't feel right unless I read an author's books in order, even if they are standalone books that aren't a series. I can't explain it.
Typically, no.

Normally, I'll just cherry-pick those that are considered the cream of the author's crop, and work my way 'down' the list from there, going until the 'quality' (ie, the appeal to my tastes) drops off enough that I'm no longer interested.

This method is not foolproof. However, considering that the number of works I would immensely enjoy is many orders of magnitude more vast than I could hope to read in my lifetime, it is a useful strategy for good reads.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 PM

995 posts, read 1,108,931 times
When I find an author I like, I start at the beginning and read them in order. Author's 'voices' change over time, and I like seeing that develop and change with each passing book. If it's a series, I always find and read the books in order, especially when the author writes 'out of order'. The storyline is paramount to me then. Stuff happens in the characters lives and it's jarring when I read something happened in a book I missed or just didn't bother with.

ie. Robert Crais, one of my favorite mystery authors. His first 6-7 books were very good basic who-dun-its. Enjoyed them very much starting with Monkey's Raincoat. Then he changed, becoming more suspenseful and the books had a lot more depth. I read that over time as it actually happened, so I became more invested in the author. Haven't missed one ever, and got a lot of new readers for him when I worked at Borders.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:53 PM

15,468 posts, read 15,438,667 times
I've never done that yet, with discovering a new author. I have, however, started that with Charles Dickens...but got side-tracked.

No need for you to sound apologetic. It makes sense. That way you see an author develop.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 AM

108 posts, read 113,960 times
If I like some author then I start on reading all the books by that author and do not rest until I read all of them. I am just crazy about the books love the literature and fiction and modern fiction. I started reading Agatha Christie when I was in my 9th Grade and then read all of her novels. Then same with Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, Robin Cook, Paulo Coelho , Sidney Sheldon , Dan Brown , Geoffrey Archer and many many more.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:26 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,279,001 times
I usually don't read them in any particular order. I just read the one that is made available to me, whether I buy the book or borrow it from the library or a friend.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:49 AM

95 posts, read 101,089 times
if I pick up a book and see that it is part of a series I will put it back and go and have the libraian print out a list that will put that series in order then I start with book 1 of the series. I don't know how many times I would be at a thrift store or a garage sale and pick u a book read the back and bring it home only to find out its part 2 or 3 etc of a series of books lol

Old 01-06-2015, 08:26 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,318,516 times
Funny, I was just organzing my series of this aurthor. It's the Cousin's War series by Philippa Gregory. I found book 3 and read it and realized it was part of a series. I was a bit ticked as I really like to read them in order. But I will survive!!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,498,360 times
The only problem with reading books out of their chronological order is the possibility of reading the writer's best craft (usually the later works) and then going to an earlier book where the author was not so developed.

When I start to notice the "writing" rather than just being "in the book," I generally put that book down and never return to it. So as a rule, I'll take them in chronological order, lest I end up in that situation. The problem is, as always, everything is relative....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books