Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,834 times

Advertisements

Thanks - I may look into locating WWE when I get finished w/ Eco's book. It sounds intriguing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 AM

20 posts, read 44,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post

Good thing you didn't have to pay for that book... those self-help ones are expensive. I would be all explody 'bout that!
Haha....And thanks, you have a good sense of humour yourself!
Enjoy your reading.....It's great that you (and others) like reading! (though being in a library technician's program in college, I'm heavily biased )

Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 AM

I got to be a "fill in" for the Librarian where I grew up one summer when she had some doctor's appointments (I was already such a good little volunteer ) I had a ball.

Slight deviation of topic....
what, exactly, is a Library "tech"?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 AM

20 posts, read 44,698 times
That's awesome! That does sound like a blast.
I hope it's okay to veer off topic, but here's the answer. The difference lies in education.
A library technician is a paraprofessional who works alongside (and usually under the supervision of) the librarian(s). Librarian's have master's degrees (and the prerequisite undergrad. bachelor's degree) from an accredited university, while library techs. have college diplomas (it's a 2 year program). Library technicians will typically handle all the day-to-day technical tasks performed in a library (acquisitions, cataloguing)...Basically we're trained to carry out the orders (typically laced with lots of library lingo) librarians might give us. To give an analogy, paramedics are to doctors what library technicians are to librarians (not the best analogy, but I tried).
Oh, and this is how it is in Canada, btw. I'm not sure if it's the same in the U.S. I don't know if they have library technician programs there.
Hope this helps (sorry for the off-topic!).

Old 01-06-2008, 12:25 AM

474 posts, read 1,416,841 times
I just finished "90 Minutes in Heaven"! Couldn't put it down.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:35 PM

Default 90 Minutes in Heaven

How did you feel when you finished it? What was your motivation for choosing to read that book?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:20 AM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Default Lee Iacocca

I just finished Lee Iaccoa's book, "Where Have All The Leaders Gone?" I liked the book because Lee Iacocca feels that he is old enough to NOT care whose toes he steps on.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM

That's how my G'ma felt - maybe that's why senior tend to be "snitty" sometimes.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:08 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
"The Samurai's Garden" by Gail Tsukiyama

I have read and re-read this book several times over the past couple of years, and I have given it to friends. It is a lovely and touching story told with the skill and artistry of a water colored painting. I can't recommend it enough to you. It is a fast read, because the story is so compelling and personal. It is as if you found a journal that told of great love, set in a time of fascinating history (the brink of WWII) and provided a glimpes into a complicated culture.

As a gift I recommend it to you!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 AM

471 posts, read 1,508,392 times
Fun to read what people are reading... thanks.

droimnin, yeah, we all have things 2 work on. I pick up self help books every now and then too. I have lots to improve on ....

90 Minutes in Heaven - Is that about near death experiences? I have read a few books on that lately, having lost 3 family members in 2007. Just gets you thinking...

I think I will have to check out The Samurai's Garden by Tsukiyama.

For me...

My favorite book/series of all time: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. The only thing, looking back, I wish she'd been kinder to Gilbert. Poor Gilbert. But what laughs and adventures...

A book I have never forgotten: The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. How brave those 2 sisters were. And what they did to help their Jewish friends during WWII. I'll never forget what happened to them when they arrived at (well, I can't give things away, huh). Just unforgettable.

And a page turner series I couldn't put down recently: The Twilight series (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse) by Stephenie Meyer. I've never been interested in anything before about vampires. But after 3 different people recommened it to me I thought I better take a look. Very pleasantly surprised. I do like YA books...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books