U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 PM

471 posts, read 1,405,255 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what people are reading out there...

Any page-turners you couldn't put down?

Something that's inspired you?

A favorite book you'll always remember?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 02:49 PM

3,568 posts, read 3,503,546 times
The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana - by Umberto Eco is what I am reading right now. Unusual, has kept my interest for the most part. I admit I have gotten bored during the main characters recount of Italian war propaganda songs. So I wouldn't call it a favorite, just an intriguing dalliance into someone else's psyche.

I liked The Professor & the Madman (can't remember the author). The Devil Wears Prada (the movie lacked sooooo much). No way to Treat a First Lady - Christopher Buckley was funny.

When I am bored I like looking at old dictionaries & thesauri. My favorite has been Sam Johnson's. I also like those word/phrase origin books they have available now.

What's on your side table?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 PM

3,943 posts, read 5,775,876 times
I just read "World Without End". It was a definite page turner. I'm about to read 1000 Splendid Suns for our book club right here on CD.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:39 PM

Default 1000 Splendid Suns

heavy duty.

did you read "The Pillars of the Earth" prior to "World Without End"?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:49 PM

20 posts, read 42,326 times
I've read some good non-fiction, if you're into that...

Self-help/Psychology: "Rage: a Step by Step Guide to Overcoming Explosive Anger" by Ronald T. Efron-Potter. This is an excellent and very helpful book. It surprised me because I usually do not like self-help books.

Science: "Astronomy: A Beginner's Guide to the Universe" by Eric Chaisson and Steve McMillan.

I don't read much fiction unfortunately, because I'm never sure what would be good out there...and don't have much time to read every book to see if it's good...as much as I really wish I could read every book out there :-) So I'm looking forward to looking at the suggestions here.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:52 PM

a guide to explosive anger...

are you explody? well, maybe not now since you finished the book...WERE you explody? Or did it help you deal with an explody person?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 PM

20 posts, read 42,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
a guide to explosive anger...

are you explody? well, maybe not now since you finished the book...WERE you explody? Or did it help you deal with an explody person?
Hehe, good question.

But in fact, that question enraged me! How dare you call me explody?! I'm just kidding

Yes, I was explody. But indeed, this book did actually help me become much LESS explody. So, I'd say I still have much to work on, but this book offered some very good, practical tips on what to do when you're angry. And it doesn't offer simplified "just calm down!" lecturing. The best part is that it puts ALL the responsibility on the person who is angry in a way that DOES NOT BLAME the person! It's very non-judgemental...it doesn't treat the angry person like they're pure evil! Rather, putting all the responsibility on the angry person means they can implement strategies that are independent of whatever/whomever made them angry: that there IS hope for people who need help with anger like myself.
P.S. I'm praising this book so much you'd think I'm advertising it, lol.. but I borrowed it for free at my local public library

Old 01-05-2008, 10:49 PM

Smile to the "Explody book" girl,

Good thing you didn't have to pay for that book... those self-help ones are expensive. I would be all explody 'bout that!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 PM

Default Yes, I read "The Pillars of the Earth" many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
heavy duty.

did you read "The Pillars of the Earth" prior to "World Without End"?
I don't really know why they are calling "WWE" a sequel to it. They also call it a stand alone book, and really, it doesn't refer to many characters in "Pillars" at all. "Pillars" was one of my favorite books, and "WWE" is much better!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:26 PM

I usually don't care for self help books either. I find them boring, and I never read anything I haven't already heard or read. But, I haven't read that one. I can think of quite a few people it might benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or