Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:51 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Your E-Book Is Reading You
By Alexandra Alter
Wall Street Journal

Your E-Book Is Reading You - WSJ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 10:56 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I read most books the old fashioned way, but maybe 1/4 of the book I read, I read on Kindle. I always wondered about those "highlighted passages"--why should I care what other people highlighted, and why is that showing up in my copy of the e-book, which should be "clean" in my opinion?

I keep the wi-fi on my kindle turned off at all times, except when I download a new book. Can Amazon still read my info during that short period of time? Yeah, that's kind of creepy to me. I guess most of us don't read the fine print in the user agreements. But I think it was not clear about whether Amazon can get your reading information if you just turn on the wi-fi just to download a book, rather than leaving it on all the time.

They probably don't understand my reading habits if they looked at them anyway. I tend to buy a hard copy of a book AND a kindle version. Then I might read some of it with the regular book, like when reading in bed, but then pick up where I left off and continue reading parts of it on kindle, in the bath tub or if I take my kindle to some place where I'll have to wait (like a dentist office). Then I go back to the hard copy at night and find the page where I'm at, and pick up reading that again. Amazon might think I only read pieces of books!

What worries me is the part of this article that says:
"Pinpointing the moment when readers get bored could also help publishers create splashier digital editions by adding a video, a Web link or other multimedia features..."
Um, no, I will stop buying e-books if they start inserting flashy multimedia things at places in my book where other people might have gotten bored. Just because other people might have a shorter attention span doesn't mean I need sparkly shiny things to keep my interest.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:48 AM

12,169 posts, read 2,959,937 times
That is creepy. Am I understanding correctly that you get an e-copy that is the equivalent of a messy textbook covered in highlighter? Oh brother!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Am I understanding correctly that you get an e-copy that is the equivalent of a messy textbook covered in highlighter? Oh brother!
Yes, every e-book I've ever bought for my kindle has a LOT of highlighted passages. I poked around on Amazon looking for a way to buy clean copies or to delete all highlights, but didn't see anything. If anyone here knows anything about this, please share your wisdom.

At first I found it in a lot of "classics" which I had downloaded for free, so I figured it was a necessary evil that goes along with free book downloads. But I also see lots of highlights in newer books I've bought--both fiction and non-fiction. I kind of think if I'm paying full price for a book, it should be a clean copy.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:15 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
It is a feature easily turned off, if one bothers to read the manual (included in the Kindle). I don't have ads, "suggested titles" or highlighting on any of mine.

Or, in 0.04 seconds, googling "turn off highlighting Kindle" gets you

https://www.google.com/search?q=turn...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 03-02-2015, 12:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I can't imagine it taking 7 hours to read a book.

Also, I have never once seen anything highlighted in any of my books.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:22 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yes, every e-book I've ever bought for my kindle has a LOT of highlighted passages. I poked around on Amazon looking for a way to buy clean copies or to delete all highlights, but didn't see anything. If anyone here knows anything about this, please share your wisdom.
I have all that junk turned off and don't see any of it. I'm sure I found how to do it in the User's Guide. But it was a long time ago ... maybe this? ...

"If several other Kindle users have highlighted a particular passage in the book you are reading, you will see that passage underlined. To turn off these highlights, select Settings from the Home screen menu, then tap Reading Options, Notes & Highlights, and change the Popular Highlights setting.

You can also display notes and highlights from people that you follow on https://kindle.amazon.com. To turn off this option, select Settings from the Home screen menu, tap Reading Options, Notes & Highlights, and change the Public Notes setting.

The Popular Highlights and Public Notes features are not supported in all countries. Notes and highlights are added to a file on the Home screen called My Clippings. When Annotations Backup is set to On, these items are stored in the Cloud for you so they won’t
be lost."

Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 PM

Most of what I found on the amazon site (the FAQs, the info on "Public Notes" and "following" people) only applies to the newer kindles. I have the old-fashioned on with the buttons. I'll have to see if it has a user's guide loaded onto it. I actually never looked, since using it is more "intuitive" rather than requiring instructions.

PNW, oh, thank you for letting me now about Google and how I can Google it in 0.04 seconds.

Silly me, I decided to actually look on Amazon's own website. I kind of think if the answer is only out there on a non-Amazon site, then it's a) crappy customer service on the part of Amazon, and b) not always reliable. Besides, whenever I think about the highlights, I'm nowhere near my computer. Like I said, I'm only reading on the kindle when I'm in the tub or out some place and not home. then when I'm in front of my computer, I'm not even thinking about how I was annoyed last night in the tub by kindle highlights.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:08 PM

12,169 posts, read 2,959,937 times
Glad to learn it can be switched off. That would be annoying.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:08 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Boy, would they have a headache with me, trying to figure out what was going on, given that I use different modes to read a book.

From the ultra high speed (where it takes 2 months or more for it to be processed through the subconscious before I can tell you what I read) to high speed 1 where I'm reading to report to someone to high speed 2 where I'm reading with the emotional interaction turned off to high speed 3 which is how I often read the Net, including most people's posts, to avoid TLDR to moderate speed where the emotional interaction can be turned on to reading for leisure.........

......................assuming, of course, that I used a kindle at all...............WHICH I DON'T!

Long story short, is the person one is trying to read actually being honest all the time or is what one is reading actually a false impression?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books