Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:50 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

I have pretty good sized to-be-read piles (shelves actually), one for fiction and one for non-fiction. Most of them are books I decided to buy because I had an interest. But a few of them, I only bought because people in my life kept raving about them, and they seemed to get wonderful reviews online.

Here are two that are still there on the shelf, and I keep passing them over. They are gathering dust. They were also raved about by people here on C-D, but I still can't bring myself to ever choose them as my next book.

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Vergese

The Kite Runner by Khaled Housseini

I pick them up, read the dust jacket (after brushing off the dust) and nothing appeals to me, so I pick another book.

Do you have books like this?
What are they?
How long to you keep them in your TBR pile before giving them away or donating them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I have had Cutting for Stone on my Kindle for ages. I started it once, when it first came out. It felt too soap opera-ish for me, so I stopped reading. Then I read all the rave reviews and figured that, eventually, I'd try it again. Eventually.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:53 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Cutting For Stone was a long book but by the time I finished it I really liked it. Now I don't know if I would do it again though, lol.

There are only two that I own that I have been putting off.

Come, Thou Tortoise
The Secret Life of Bees

The others that have been on my To Read list the longest that have been recommended are:

The whole J.D. Robb In Death Series…I'm only 41 behind, lol.
Wool
Outlander
Aviator's Wife
Outlander

Some day I will get to them.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Come, Thou Tortoise
I was the pusher of this book. It's fantastic.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:28 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I agree about Come, Thou Tortoise. That's definitely one I'll re-read. (Thank you Dawn).

With Cutting for Stone, it's definitely not the length that turns me off. I love a good thick heavy book. It's just that nothing in any of the descriptions interests me at all.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Cutting For Stone was a long book but by the time I finished it I really liked it. Now I don't know if I would do it again though, lol.

There are only two that I own that I have been putting off.

Come, Thou Tortoise
The Secret Life of Bees

The others that have been on my To Read list the longest that have been recommended are:

The whole J.D. Robb In Death Series…I'm only 41 behind, lol.
Wool
Outlander
Aviator's Wife
Outlander

Some day I will get to them.
read secret life of bee's

Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I was the pusher of this book. It's fantastic.
And it was worth the push. I enjoyed that one too!

Cutting For Stone was on my pile too but I think I passed it on to my mom and figured when (if) I get around to reading it, I'll get it from the library. Henrietta Lacks is in that pile as are some others like the Jean Auel series. I've been getting less books as I'm trying to read what I already have, so maybe I'll get to these...maybe.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:47 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
I remember back in the '90s, everyone was raving about A.S. Byatt's POSSESSION. I tried to read it. Really tried. I kept falling asleep. Total boredom. I gave up.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I've had Plainsong by Kent Haruf next to the bed for a while. I figure I'll like it, so I'm saving it for a real reading drought.

I envy those of you who haven't read Cutting for Stone or Come, Thou Tortoise yet, because I loved them so much. I'd like the experience of discovering them again.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:25 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Life of Pi. I tried; just could not get into it.

Outlander was picked for a book group that I was in a few years ago. The person who picked it had raved about it for so long that I was expecting something amazing. I read about 100 pages and couldn't stand it.

I LOVED both The Secret Life of Bees and The Kite Runner.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books