Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:37 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I just thought of another author who disappointed me terribly: Jean M. Auel.

I read and re-read Clan of the Cave Bear, and I liked several of the subsequent novels pretty well too. But the last two or three were just horrible. I kept thinking, "This can't be the same author, it is as if someone who never read the original books found the author's notes and just cobbled something together." The result was pretty much random and just felt odd. I wondered if she had some sort of contract to write a certain number of books and she just lost her enthusiasm.
You might enjoy our thread we had on Jean M Auel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
You might enjoy our thread we had on Jean M Auel.
I would enjoy that. I credit Jean Auel for teaching me how to make going down on a woman as unsexy as possible: use over and over the words 'tangy salt' and 'nodule.'

Imagine: "Now, my love, I'm going after all the tangy salt around your nodule." I can imagine a million wisecracks from my wife:

"That's even less sexy than ze benis unt za fagina on Dr. Ruth."

"Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a tangy salt shaker?"

"You make it sound like I have nodular furniture. Jeez. Either get to chomping or don't, but don't overcomplicate this."

"You are denied to read Jean Auel any more."

"With lines like that, how do you keep the packs of women away? Water cannon? Flashbangs?"

Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
OMG, you will definitely agree with us in the other thread!

//www.city-data.com/forum/books...an-m-auel.html

Old 05-26-2015, 02:22 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Checking back, I already did. It had just been long enough for me to forget.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:44 PM

10 posts, read 8,656 times
I enjoyed Dean Koontz until his stories became so dark that they were simply weird and offered nothing fresh.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:45 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Having loved Anne Tyler's The Accidental Tourist and Ladder of Years, I picked up her newest one from the library, French Braid, and couldn't get past page 40. Really disappointing.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:38 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Admittedly the only Fitzgerald I've read but The Great Gatsby left me wondering what all the hoopla was about.

And J D Vance's Hillbilly Elegy didn't strike me as being much more than 'Oh boo-hoo, I had a tough life.'

Old 12-02-2022, 05:09 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Two of my favorite writers...Jennifer Weiner and Laura Weisberger...have obviously gone "woke" in their past couple of books. Jennifer Weiner has put more "gay love " into her plots. When I read for escape, it has to be something I relate to...characters I can relate to. "Little Earthquakes", "Best Friends Forever". Not that I'm homophobic, I don't want to read about someone's other "life style" when I'm looking for some fun laid back reading. I liked her early stuff.

I don't want to sit down to read a "fun" book and find out it is a lecture about how white privileged I am.

Old 12-03-2022, 12:54 AM

1,936 posts, read 700,911 times
I enjoyed Wally Lamb's first two novels; She's Come Undone and I Know This Much Is True. The third one, The Hour I First Believed was a turn-off. He went overboard throwing in "issues" and "tragedies"
as well as sneaking in his own political views. P.U. On top of that, there were spelling errors - as if the novel was never proof read.

I agree about Stephen King. He needs to temper the sex, violence, supernatural and politics so you can
get more wrapped up in the story and the characters and not the author's pervy mindset.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:11 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Just about every one of my favorite writers.
Writers with contracts usually get paid an advance and that also usually(?) comes with a deadline.
That makes me wonder how that might affect the output, especially of a book that was good up until a crummy ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books