Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 05:58 AM

22,930 posts, read 28,302,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I was aware there was a Tom Clancy ghost writer franchise, but I thought it started after his death in 2013. I think Rainbow Six came out in the late 90s.
You may be right. I am not a Clancy expert. But I thought even before he died he would come up with the basic idea and let a hired gun do most of these actual writing while he enjoyed spending his money. But again, I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Either way, I'm not a fan of a book franchise like that. Seems 'fake' somehow.
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 09:11 AM

1,093 posts, read 583,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I loved the Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley novels up until she wrote "What Came Before He Shot Her."

She should have had a warning on the jacket saying that it wasn't an Inspector Lynley story but was about the poor disadvantaged hooligans who shot his wife on a whim/dare and it had nothing to do with him.

I never trusted her again and never read her later novels.
This post reminds me of another author who gravely disappointed me. Stephen White, now retired from writing novels, wrote twenty books about a psychologist who got involved in mystery plots. Several of the later books in the series barely featured the main character at all. One focused on his best friend, and another focused on a patient who only appeared that one time. And still another late-series novel had such a ridiculous plot that it was hard to keep caring what happened.

But the worst thing this author did was the way he ended the series. It would require many paragraphs and several spoilers to explain just how badly he screwed that up.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:49 PM

26,757 posts, read 26,856,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
This post reminds me of another author who gravely disappointed me. Stephen White, now retired from writing novels, wrote twenty books about a psychologist who got involved in mystery plots....

But the worst thing this author did was the way he ended the series.
You are so right. I was very let down by White's last book; I couldn't believe that he ended his series like that.

Alan Gregory’s Goodbye: PW Talks with Stephen White:
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...hen-white.html

Old 11-09-2023, 04:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I loved the Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley novels up until she wrote "What Came Before He Shot Her."

She should have had a warning on the jacket saying that it wasn't an Inspector Lynley story but was about the poor disadvantaged hooligans who shot his wife on a whim/dare and it had nothing to do with him.

I never trusted her again and never read her later novels.
I was disappointed in some of the books before that but the ones after were so bad they seemed written by a ghost writer—-so many character reverses that I just couldn’t justify wasting the time to read

Old 11-13-2023, 04:56 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,721,873 times
George RR Martin. Nobody wants to wait half a decade or more for the next book in the series. When the TV show finishes the story before you write the final book, perhaps you should engage in some self-reflection.

Dean Koontz. Loved his early stuff, but after a while it felt like all of his stories were retreads of previous work with the names changed.

Stephen King. Somewhere along the way he went off the rails. His early work was good, The Stand is still one of my all-time favorites, but he hasn't written anything worth reading in two decades.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:57 AM

26,757 posts, read 26,856,992 times
I had to return James McBride's The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store to the library after more than one attempt to read it. I never got beyond about page 40. I really enjoyed his book The Color of Water.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:36 PM

686 posts, read 722,635 times
Danielle Steel
I read her a long time ago and decided to check out her book Neighbors. It was the worst book that I have tried to read in a long time. She kept repeating the same thing over and over. It got so ridiculous that I thought it was a joke. I can not figure out why there were good reviews on that particular book....people must not know any better...lol.
These reviews are what I feel about her...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/1984...r&pageNumber=1

Old 03-13-2024, 05:32 AM

8,054 posts, read 10,647,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

The writer that's disappointed me the most is Stephen King. What a strange person. He can write some great books and some pretty stupid ones as well.
Me too. I devoured his earlier works - they were books I couldn't put down, and would stay up until all hours reading. But I can't get into any of his later works or stick with them for more than a few chapters. I've heard others say the same thing.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:05 AM

4,148 posts, read 3,066,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Me too. I devoured his earlier works - they were books I couldn't put down, and would stay up until all hours reading. But I can't get into any of his later works or stick with them for more than a few chapters. I've heard others say the same thing.
Add me to the list. Stephen King can continue his obsession with 1960s politics, but I will not be reading his books.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

5,032 posts, read 7,236,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Add me to the list. Stephen King can continue his obsession with 1960s politics, but I will not be reading his books.

I'm with you. He's gotten so verbose and frankly, a lot of his stuff is like it was written by a horny 13 year old boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books