Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:24 PM

560 posts, read 849,178 times

Advertisements

Some of my favorite type of reads lean towards post-apocalyptic stories. End of the world, end of civilization as we know it, leaving the planet to start a new civilization, etc.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Stand by Stephen King
Alas Babylon by ... can't remember
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Swan Song by Robert McCammon
Rendevous with Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke

Just to name a few...

What reads have you enjoyed that go down those paths? Always looking for something new to read, so would love to hear from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:18 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank is my personal favorite.
My second favorite is A Gift Upon the Shore by W.K. Wren. (Thanks, Netwit, for that one.)

Old 05-04-2015, 06:27 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
Alas Babylon
One second after

Old 05-04-2015, 06:28 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
The Stand by Stephen King. No doubt in my mind whatsoever--it was epic.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Reading Zombie Fallout my Mark Tufo right now but off the top of my head

Lucifers Hammer
The Stand
The Road ( about the most depressing book and movie I ever read or saw)
Out of the Ashes series William W Johnstone
The Last Rebel William W Johnstone
Death Lands series James Axler
Wanted by Jason Halstead

Old 05-04-2015, 06:46 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Fun thread, OP -- thanks (and reps) for starting it!

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought "It's got to be Stephen King's The Stand," but I also knew that others would say that (and they did ). Here's another one. Not sure if it really qualifies as "post-apocalyptic," but given how it ends I THINK it does: Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. I had to read it in 6th grade and I found it a bit hard to understand way back then, but it stuck with me so I tried reading it again a few years later and I "got" it much more at that time. Now it's one of those books (like The Stand, The Little Drummer Girl, The Charm School) that I pull out and read again every couple of years. It just, well, stays with you. (And I say that as someone who reads 2-3 "fun" books a week, in addition to all the academic stuff I read for my job -- I have to admit that as much as I love my "fun" books, a month later I don't remember most of the plots. So when I find a book that I remember so well years later, that says something!)

Thanks too to the other posters for giving me some titles to add to my "read-this-summer" list!

Old 05-04-2015, 06:47 PM

364 posts, read 277,475 times
One Second After hands down! Nothing comes close.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:09 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
Some of my favorite type of reads lean towards post-apocalyptic stories. End of the world, end of civilization as we know it, leaving the planet to start a new civilization, etc.

Alas Babylon by ... can't remember
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Swan Song by Robert McCammon
Rendevous with Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke

Just to name a few...

What reads have you enjoyed that go down those paths? Always looking for something new to read, so would love to hear from you!
Makes note of the 3 on your list that I haven't read (The Road, Alas Babylon, Canticle). Surprised that The Mote in God's Eye by Niven & Pournelle didn't make your list.

How about The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:07 AM

682 posts, read 718,586 times
As I said in a post that I started, I enjoyed "Zoo" by James Patterson.

I have enjoyed all the books already mentioned, but I wanted to add a few..

The Postman...book is better than movie
Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan... its classified as a young adult book, but I still liked it.
The Going Home series by A.American
Emergence by David Palmer

I'm going to add The Conqueror Worms by Brian Keene. Its an end of the world book... just not from a nuclear war.

Last edited by beckerd2; 05-05-2015 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: added

Old 05-05-2015, 11:11 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
McCarthy is such a master of the English language, as well as an intense storyteller. But the words 'bleak and 'horrific' are far too little to describe the emotional impact of this book. Still, it is utterly brilliant.

The Pelbar Cycle by Paul O. Wiliams
A little-known series of five novels set mostly in the upper valley of what was once called the Mississippi River approximately a thousand years after a late-twentieth century nuclear war. The scattered groups of humans, who have developed in the intervening years into their own tribes, are growing and increasingly coming into contact, conflict, and to some extent cooperation. The prose is all but non-existent, some of the storylines trite, with the occasional deus ex machina - but the world is one of great imagination, and the books are worth it for their faults.

The Last Ship by William Brinkley
The USS Nathan James is a guided missile cruiser at sea when a global nuclear war breaks out between the U.S. and the USSR. It sails the world, looking for a place to permanently put in where the crew can survive, while dealing with conflict among the crew along the way and the occasional presence of a Soviet nuclear submarine. Recently, it was made into a television series, which I've never seen.

The post-apocalyptism is brilliant - but the supernatural stuff is mostly a yawner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books