Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 07:09 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

I used to like Stephen King's writing very much, but I haven't liked any novels written by him in at least ten years -- at least nothing I have read. The last book I read by him was 11/22/63 which I absolutely HATED -- don't even get me started! -- and I could not get into the Dark Tower series at all. (I dislike almost all sci-fi fantasy, btw.)

So, because I have been so disappointed in all the novels that he wrote after 2000 that I read, I have actually read only a few -- so I am wondering if I might have missed something that I actually might like. (I did like the Just After Sunset collection of short stories, though, for the most part.)

My favorite Stephen King novels (and novellas) are The Dead Zone, The Green Mile, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, and The Body -- and, to a lesser extent, Carrie, The Shining, and The Stand. (Obviously, I like his work with strong psychological themes more than just his horror stuff.)

So, any suggestions? -- and if anyone would like to suggest any other books or authors, based on the above, I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by katharsis; 06-05-2015 at 08:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 07:40 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Dr. Sleep is a good one, IMO.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:11 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
If you liked The Stand check out Justin Cronin's The Passage and The Twelve. It's a trilogy, and the third book should be released sometime this year. Also, I'm guessing you have read him, but I have always liked Dean Koontz better than King.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:17 AM

414 posts, read 911,452 times
Needful Things by King

Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
(Obviously, I like his work with strong psychological themes more than just his horror stuff.)
Try BAG OF BONES or DUMA KEY. BoB is a better book, but they are both strong on psychological themes in addition to the horror elements.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:28 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,399 times
Did you try Dolores Claiborne? I found it to be quite different from his other works. Here's a wiki article.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:29 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
If you liked The Stand check out Justin Cronin's The Passage and The Twelve. It's a trilogy, and the third book should be released sometime this year.
I tried reading THE PASSAGE and couldn't finish it. It started out great. The first half of the book is actually very Stephen Kingish. But then about halfway through the book, the story takes a big turn (you know the one I mean), and the latter half of the book is totally it different.

Whereas the first half of THE PASSAGE was a great horror thriller with some very touching human elements, the latter half of the book turned into THE HUNGER GAMES WITH VAMPIRES.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
I don't like horror stories. I don't like sci-fi. That means that I'm not a Stephen King fan, which is too bad because whenever I read an article about him, I love the way that he writes (or speaks, I guess).

I enjoyed his book On Writing, mainly because I write and edit for a living. His style of talking about writing is fabulous. I had never before gotten through a book about "how to write" -- it's more boring than I can even explain in words. (If you saw my facial expressions, though, you'd get it.)

I enjoyed two of the "short" stories (SK's short stories are other authors' full-length novels) in Full Dark, No Stars, but the best part of that book is the Afterward.

I *really* enjoyed his novel Dolores Claiborne as is evidenced here: //www.city-data.com/forum/36919803-post12851.html. That was good stuff and, I think, totally up your alley.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:01 AM

Thanks to all who answered! I did read both Duma Key and Needful Things, but I thought both of those were just so-so. I think I might try the other suggestions, though!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
If you liked The Stand check out Justin Cronin's The Passage and The Twelve. It's a trilogy, and the third book should be released sometime this year. Also, I'm guessing you have read him, but I have always liked Dean Koontz better than King.
I haven't read anything by Koontz for ages. Which is your favorite novel of his that you would recommend for me, please? (I'm not sure, but I think the only one of his I have read so far was Intensity, and I think I remember thinking it was good -- it was a long time ago.)

Btw, I also don't like graphic novels at all. (When I was looking over the list of Koontz's books, I noticed he has written quite a few of them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books