Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 02:27 PM

47,545 posts, read 6,389,335 times

Advertisements

I recently finished reading "America, 1908" by Jim Rasenberger.

He describes how that year was pivotal in so many ways.

While the Wright brothers first flew in 1903, it was in 1908 that they made flying more routine and sustained (lasting for hours sometimes, rather than just minutes) and even overcame a plane crash that killed one of the Wright brother's passengers.

The book also describes how the Model T originated that year and would revolutionize American society by offering relatively cheap, durable cars.

It focuses on the rivalry between polar explorers Frederick Cook and Robert Peary, and the different approaches, triumphs and setbacks they experienced.

I found the focus on the last days of President Theodore Roosevelt's administration interesting, especially his sending a fleet of American battleships in a voyage to different places around the world.

There was some fear even in 1908 that the voyage might spark a conflict between America and Japan, but the American fleet was welcomed in grand style and given a very warm and celebratory reception by the Japanese.

Finally, the book describes an ill-fated Great Race (for automobiles) that was to have gone from New York City to Paris via a western route and over a frozen Bering Strait. The route had to be significantly modified, and was sponsored by the New York Times.

It was an interesting read, and 1908 was the year my great-grandmother, who lived to be 100, was born, so it has added meaning for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 05:58 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Sounds very interesting indeed! As for the race, I guess that was the basis for the wonderful movie "The Great Race". I shall check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books