Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 07:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen the movie "The Road" but I hope to heck it's better than the book.

I slogged through that depressing book thinking the whole time, "Something redeeming will happen in the end."

Well, I won't say anything more but damn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And in the more recent version, Leonardo di Caprio as Jay Gatsby just didn't cut it (IMO).
Haven't seen it but I can't imagine anyone better than Robert Redford in his prime playing Jay Gatsby. It was a beautiful sight. The whole movie was so elegantly done.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:24 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I haven't seen the movie "The Road" but I hope to heck it's better than the book.

I slogged through that depressing book thinking the whole time, "Something redeeming will happen in the end."

It's not any better. It just gives you more explicit visuals for all of the disturbing events that you read about in the book.

Terrible book and a terrible movie.

I do not know what has compelled Cormac McCarthy to write the most depressing stories. I read All the Pretty Horses, which I loved. But then he wrote The Road and then, far worse, the screenplay for The Counselor, which is like The Road in that you keep waiting for a redemptive moment that never comes.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It's not any better. It just gives you more explicit visuals for all of the disturbing events that you read about in the book.

Terrible book and a terrible movie.

I do not know what has compelled Cormac McCarthy to write the most depressing stories. I read All the Pretty Horses, which I loved. But then he wrote The Road and then, far worse, the screenplay for The Counselor, which is like The Road in that you keep waiting for a redemptive moment that never comes.

Tried to rep you but couldn't - but thanks for the warning!

Old 08-17-2015, 04:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
I can't say the movie was BETTER - but the Great Gatsby (the original movie with Mia Farrow and Robert Redford) certainly did a fine job of translating the feel of the book to the silver screen. Very well cast.

Same with Lonesome Dove.
I prefer the Redford Gatsby to the DiCaprio Gatsby. I don't think either was better than the book. But I agree the earlier Gatsby was good. I liked Sam Waterston better than what his name too.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I prefer the Redford Gatsby to the DiCaprio Gatsby. I don't think either was better than the book. But I agree the earlier Gatsby was good. I liked Sam Waterston better than what his name too.
To me, the first movie captured the mood of the book and was perfectly cast. Mia Farrow was exquisite as Daisy, and even the more minor characters were cast well.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The Maze Runner better than the books.
That is easy to imagine. What a worthless movie!

psik

Old 08-21-2015, 10:23 PM

389 posts, read 422,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
My Sister's Keeper. The book had a very contrived and almost unbelievable ending, but the movie was very realistic. Plus, all the actors were very, very good in their roles.
Just the opposite for me. That is one of my favorite books, and the ending caught me completely off guard. I did not like the movie at all, and I hated that they changed the ending.

As for liking a movie better.... I loved one of Minnie Driver's first movies "Circle of Friends." (Maeve Binchy) I saw the movie first, and learned it was a book later. I thought I would love the book more, but it was painful to read. I tried reading a few of her other books, and disliked them just as much.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:58 PM

424 posts, read 430,502 times
Quote:

The Shawshank Redemption!! It's my favorite movie ever, but it was based on a short story by Stephen King.

Oddly, another choice for me is "The Green Mile" as it was also based on a series of novellas by King.

This might not count, since its a series on HBO, but man, they fo SUCH a good job on Game of Thrones that I dont think anybody really needs to read the books. I only read the first one, and asked a buddy of mine who's a GOT nerd--read all the books. I asked him if I should read the books, since I live the series. He said no, and even though he's a huge bookie, he admitted HBO does such a great job its not necessary.

Silence of the Lambs was also a movie better than the book.

Oh, and the movie Sleepers I think was better than its original novel.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:04 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
This might not count, since its a series on HBO, but man, they fo SUCH a good job on Game of Thrones that I dont think anybody really needs to read the books. I only read the first one, and asked a buddy of mine who's a GOT nerd--read all the books. I asked him if I should read the books, since I live the series. He said no, and even though he's a huge bookie, he admitted HBO does such a great job its not necessary.
Nah. As much as I enjoy the TV show, the books not only have far more depth and complexity, but much better character development and epic scale. At least in regard to the first 3 books. In the past couple of books, I really do think Martin needs an editor more willing to use the red pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
Silence of the Lambs was also a movie better than the book.
Ehhh ... I dunno. That's a very close call. I love both. The movie is indeed a masterpiece in every way. But I think I still have to go with the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books