Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid I used to love to read the encyclopedia! So much trivia and knowledge.

Now I read a lot of types of books, not just trivia.

However I just picked up an Uncle John's Reader (bathroom reading, lol). It's been great.

Does anyone have any other trivia books they like? I'm always looking for more, though I probably read them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
I love the Time Magazine Almanacs. I'm always looking up facts, and it's actually quicker than turning on the computer and going online to look it up. These books are updated every year.

Want to immediately know who the US Senators are from Alaska?
Want to immediately know who Millard Filmore's Vice President was?
Want to immediately know the primary religion in Ghana?
Want to immediately know which horse won the Triple Crown in 1973?

I'm always looking up random stuff on a whim, when I hear about something on TV, or if an idea just pops into my head for no reason at all.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 AM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
I love these books. Amazon.com: ben schott

I once ran a trivia game in an on-line forum, for 3 hours one night, using just the original. This is truly interesting trivia.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 PM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times
A really good magazine (I know this is not about magazines) for trivia buffs is Mental Floss.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:38 PM

341 posts, read 678,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I love the Time Magazine Almanacs. I'm always looking up facts, and it's actually quicker than turning on the computer and going online to look it up. These books are updated every year.

Want to immediately know who the US Senators are from Alaska?
Want to immediately know who Millard Filmore's Vice President was?
Want to immediately know the primary religion in Ghana?
Want to immediately know which horse won the Triple Crown in 1973?

I'm always looking up random stuff on a whim, when I hear about something on TV, or if an idea just pops into my head for no reason at all.

Me too!!!!

I love reading almanacs!

The Time Magazine Almanac is good but I prefer "The World Almanac And Book Of Facts." Every Christmas my brother buys me the current edition. I love looking up population facts, facts and figures about countries, presidential election results by state and county, data about the economy, current Nobel Prize winners, and the list goes on, ad infinitum. There is so much useless (and not so useless) information jam packed into about a thousand pages. Awesome bathroom reading!

Also, it allows me to know a little bit about a lot of things. For example, if I ever run across a person from the country of Palau, I could start a conversation with them by mentioning that I would love to learn Sonsorolese, which is one of the languages spoken by the people of Palau.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,478 times
My favorites are the Straight Dope books by Cecil Adams.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,312 times
The David Feldman books veer toward humorous trivia -- but things you wonder about anyway. Like the title of one book, "When do fish sleep?" and of another, "Do penguins have knees?" (The books aren't all animal-oriented, tho!) He has several books out.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
I think I got hooked on these kinds of books when I was a kid and had a book called "The Charlie Brown Super Book of Questions and Answers." It had all kinds of facts about animals of the world:
Amazon.com: Charlie Brown's Super Book of Questions and Answers About All Kinds of Animals (9780394832494): Charles M. Schulz: Books
Here it is!

I was always looking up facts in there, before I moved on to mom's set of Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedias and year books. As a kid, the things I looked up always had to do with animals. Now it's all sorts of random stuff I MUST know immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books