Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading The Silence Of The North, The Incredible Story Of A Woman's Fight For Survival In The Wilderness (Northern Alberta) by Olive Fredrickson.

With 3 kids, early 1900's onwards. What are these people made of!!!!

Bad enough to survive the winter's with frozen rivers, below zero weather, battling the wildlife, and the many hours of darkness of winter in a one room cabin. And then along comes summer and it can be even more torturous than winter with the army of flies, mosquito's. And miles from any form of civilization. And? She mostly loved it!

She'd quarter a moose right on the spot, drag it back to the cabin to dry it all to last the winter, unless a bear came along and crashed/trashed the cabin and ate all the dried food!

I never wanted this book to end!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 02:38 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default Angry young men

Age of anger : a history of the present / Pankaj Mishra, c2017, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 909.8 MISH.

Subjects
• World politics -- To 1900.
• World politics -- 1989-
• Civilization, Modern.
• Civilization, Western.
• Anger -- Political aspects -- History.
• Social change -- Political aspects -- History.
• Youth -- Political activity -- History.
• Nationalism -- History.
• Terrorism -- History.
• Religion and politics -- History.

Notes
• Prologue: Forgotten Conjunctures -- Clearing a Space : History's Winners and their Illusions -- Loving Oneself Through Others : Progress and its Contradictions -- Losing My Religion : Islam, Secularism and Revolution -- Regaining My Religion : I. Nationalism Unbound; I I. Messianic Visions -- Finding True Freedom and Equality : The Heritage of Nihilism -- Epilogue: Finding Reality.
Summary
• "One of our most important public intellectuals reveals the hidden history of our current global crisis. How can we explain the origins of the great wave of paranoid hatreds that seem inescapable in our close-knit world--from American 'shooters' and ISIS to Trump, from a rise in vengeful nationalism across the world to racism and misogyny on social media? In Age of Anger, Pankaj Mishra answers our bewilderment by casting his gaze back to the eighteenth century, before leading us to the present. He shows that as the world became modern those who were unable to fulfill its promises--freedom, stability and prosperity--were increasingly susceptible to demagogues. The many who came late to this new world or were left, or pushed, behind, reacted in horrifyingly similar ways: intense hatred of invented enemies, attempts to re-create an imaginary golden age, and self-empowerment through spectacular violence. It was from among the ranks of the disaffected that the militants of the 19th century arose--angry young men who became cultural nationalists in Germany, messianic revolutionaries in Russia, bellicose chauvinists in Italy, and anarchist terrorists internationally. Today, just as then, the wider embrace of mass politics, technology, and the pursuit of wealth and individualism has cast many more billions adrift in a literally demoralized world, uprooted from tradition but still far from modernity--with the same terrible results. Making startling connections and comparisons, Age of Anger is a book of immense urgency and profound argument. It is a history of our present predicament unlike any other"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
• ix, 406 pages ; bibliographic essay, index

Brilliant writing – history from a different POV. Well worthwhile.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:13 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default How many were lost?

The great escape : nine Jews who fled Hitler and changed the world / Kati Marton, c2006, Simon & Schuster, 940.5318 Mart.

Subjects
• Jews -- Hungary -- Budapest -- Biography.
• Jews, Hungarian -- United States -- Biography.
• Exiles -- Hungary -- Budapest -- Biography.
• Exiles -- Hungary -- Budapest -- History -- 20th century.

Summary
• Journalist Marton brings to life an unknown chapter of World War II: the tale of nine men who grew up in Budapest's brief Golden Age, then, driven from Hungary by anti-Semitism, fled to the West, especially to the United States, and changed the world. These nine men, each celebrated for individual achievements, were actually part of a unique group who grew up in a time and place that will never come again, shaped by Budapest's lively café life before the darkness closed in. She follows the lives of four history-changing scientists who helped usher in the nuclear age and the computer (Edward Teller, John von Neumann, Leo Szilard, and Eugene Wigner); two major filmmakers (Michael Curtiz, who directed Casablanca, and Alexander Korda, who produced The Third Man); two immortal photographers (Robert Capa and Andre Kertesz); and one seminal writer (Arthur Koestler, Darkness at Noon).--From publisher description.

Length
• 271 pages : photos, chapter notes, index, selected bibliography, photo credits.

Excellent writing, evokes the time & place in Hungary. Follows the nine through twists & turns, as they find what they seek – or not. Worthwhile to fill in information on some towering personalities in the sciences & arts.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:19 AM

47,545 posts, read 6,392,104 times
Southwest88, I just repped you on another thread so I can't again, but you have mentioned some excellent reading options.

Thanks for sharing them!

Old 02-03-2018, 03:01 PM

82 posts, read 70,255 times
Anything by Malcolm Gladwell, especially Tipping Point and Outliers.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:42 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanieCoyle View Post
Anything by Malcolm Gladwell, especially Tipping Point and Outliers.
Love his books.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-09-2018, 08:47 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I just finished reading Ohitika Woman, by Mary Brave Bird, (her last book was Lakota Woman), life on the Pine Ridge and Rosebud reservations in SD. In the poorest county in the country.

You really need a good stomach to read through this book, and I'm amazed she survived all these years, without being killed.

The substitutes to get high, when they run out of alcohol, is unbelievable. Cooking up shoe polish to get high??????

I knew life on the reservations was bad, but not this bad!

Old 02-25-2018, 01:26 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
This book, about the infamous 2015 NY prison escape, is coming out on Tuesday. I'll be getting it.
David Sweat reveals details of his 'Wild Escape' from N.Y. prison - NY Daily News

Old 02-25-2018, 02:33 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
This book, about the infamous 2015 NY prison escape, is coming out on Tuesday. I'll be getting it.
David Sweat reveals details of his 'Wild Escape' from N.Y. prison - NY Daily News

Hope he doesn't get any proceeds....

should be interesting read.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
I just finished The Boy Kings of Texas after someone here mentioned it. Maybe KathrynAragon?

I didn't think I cared for it much for a while but I ended up liking it quite a bit. I had originally searched for My Heart is a Drunken Compass because I thought the title was cool without knowing Domingo Martinez is the author of both. I noticed The Boy Kings of Texas on the shelf and chose that instead. I'll probably pick up the other book when I return the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books