Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 02:36 PM

4,788 posts, read 2,767,113 times

Advertisements

A brotherhood of spies : the U-2 and the CIA's secret war / Monte Reel, ©2018, Doubleday, 327.1273 REEL.

Subjects
  • Land, Edwin H., -- 1909-1991.
  • Johnson, Clarence L., -- 1910-1990.
  • Bissell, Richard M. -- (Richard Mervin), -- 1909-1994.
  • Powers, Francis Gary, -- 1929-1977.
  • United States. -- Central Intelligence Agency -- History -- 20th century.
  • Intelligence service -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
  • U-2 (Reconnaissance aircraft)
  • U-2 Incident, 1960.
  • Spies -- United States -- Biography.
Notes
  • Book one. Icarus rising -- The idealist -- The man who could see air -- The mysterious Mr B -- The human element -- Book two. Icarus soaring -- In plain sight -- Rocket men -- To the sun -- Part three. Icarus falling -- Fallen angel -- Secrets and lies -- The verdict -- New frontiers -- Book four. Icarus reborn -- Trade-offs -- Together and apart -- Endgame -- Epilogue: Landings.
Length 342 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : chapter notes, select bibliography, index

A wide-ranging look @ the U-2 program, Powers’ shoot down, the effects on US/USSR relations. Surprising players & their impact, on national security & the reign of experts. Casts light on US intel efforts, how they’re managed, the infighting to direct them. The birth of US electronic intelligence gathering – for its pluses & minuses. The U-2 continues to fly, over our worst trouble spots. Something to ponder, as the years wear on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 07:31 AM

31,343 posts, read 14,067,458 times
Belichick by Ian O'Conner

Bill's Biography... I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and it's really good. O'Conner did his homework, and there are a lot of interesting stories about the long time NFL coach.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:43 AM

Default Is the US essential to the World?

Still the best hope : why the world needs American values to triumph/ Dennis Prager, 1948-, ©2012, Broadside Books, 303.48 PRAG.

Subjects
  • Social values -- United States.
  • Right and left (Political science) -- United States.
  • Islamic fundamentalism.
Notes
  • Introduction: Humanity at the crossroads: the future will be Leftist, Islamist, or American -- pt. I: Leftism -- What is Leftism? -- Why the Left believes what it believes -- Why the Left succeeds -- The Left's moral record -- pt. II: Islam and Islamism -- On evaluating religions -- The moral record of Islam -- Islam, America, and the West ; Responses to arguments on behalf of Islam -- pt. III: America and its unique values -- The American trinity.
Summary
  • Conservative radio host and syndicated columnist Dennis Prager provides a bold, sweeping look at the future of civilization with "Still the Best Hope," and offers a strong, cogent argument for why basic American values must triumph in a dangerously uncertain world.
Length
  • viii, 440 pages ; index, addendum (Leftism-Americanism differences)
An interesting book. Prager defends the US as the last bastion of values to produce a good society. He makes a good case, except that I think his defense of the US in Vietnam is a mistake on several levels. Still,worthwhile ideas, a muscular defense of traditional US values.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:08 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,673,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Still the best hope : why the world needs American values to triumph/ Dennis Prager, 1948-, ©2012, Broadside Books, 303.48 PRAG.

Subjects
  • Social values -- United States.
  • Right and left (Political science) -- United States.
  • Islamic fundamentalism.
Notes
  • Introduction: Humanity at the crossroads: the future will be Leftist, Islamist, or American -- pt. I: Leftism -- What is Leftism? -- Why the Left believes what it believes -- Why the Left succeeds -- The Left's moral record -- pt. II: Islam and Islamism -- On evaluating religions -- The moral record of Islam -- Islam, America, and the West ; Responses to arguments on behalf of Islam -- pt. III: America and its unique values -- The American trinity.
Summary
  • Conservative radio host and syndicated columnist Dennis Prager provides a bold, sweeping look at the future of civilization with "Still the Best Hope," and offers a strong, cogent argument for why basic American values must triumph in a dangerously uncertain world.
Length
  • viii, 440 pages ; index, addendum (Leftism-Americanism differences)
An interesting book. Prager defends the US as the last bastion of values to produce a good society. He makes a good case, except that I think his defense of the US in Vietnam is a mistake on several levels. Still,worthwhile ideas, a muscular defense of traditional US values.
I'm skeptical of this book based purely on the fact that the choices set out are Leftist or American (or Islamist, which I assume is supposed to mean an Islamist theocracy, rather than a society that could embrace other values of Islam without a theocratic government, but I won't even get into that). Certain Leftist values are very American. The leftist policies (medicare, social security) are among the most popular programs that exist in the United States.)

Old 11-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 10 days ago)

34,416 posts, read 16,517,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
The leftist policies (medicare, social security) are among the most popular programs that exist in the United States.)
Some of those are popular in the Toquevillian sense of people voting themselves more program than they have funding for. Or two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:04 AM

31,343 posts, read 14,067,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Some of those are popular in the Toquevillian sense of people voting themselves more program than they have funding for. Or two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
That is exactly what I thought of as well. Good job.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:21 PM

Default Didjaeatyet?

Stuffed and starved : the hidden battle for the world food system / Raj Patel, ©2007, Melville House Publishing, 338.19 Pate

Subjects

• Food supply.
  • Food industry and trade.
  • Poverty.
  • Agriculture -- Economic aspects.
  • Agriculture -- Social aspects.
Notes
  • A rural autopsy -- You have become Mexican -- 'Just a cry for bread' -- The customer is our enemy: a brief introduction to food system business -- Better living through chemistry -- Glycine rex -- Checking out of supermarkets -- Chosen by bunnies.
  • Originally published: London : Portobello, 2007.
Length
  • ix, 398 pages : Notes, references, index, graphs, drawings
An inside look @ the World food business – who it serves, who it doesn’t, & why. The money & the commodification of food, & their march across the World, as the World develops. Scary reading.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:10 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,673,353 times
Red Notice by Bill Browder. If you haven't read this, you should get it now. Very entertaining and very informative.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:04 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,537,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I am almost finished reading The Radium Girls The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore.
When I mentioned this book to a few people, they seemed to be aware of the story. I had no knowledge of any of this and am just in awe reading it.
The book has so many people in it that I am not really getting a good sense of who is who, but it doesn't seem to matter for the actual story.
You need to read this.
(it's the story of the young women who were painting the luminous numbers on watch and clock dials....New Jersey and Illinois mostly....)
I had the misfortune of learning about 'phossy jaw', a long-since eradicated affliction suffered from matchstick makers, and some of the articles I read mentioned the radium girls. Those poor, poor women.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:35 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Eiffel's Tower
by Jill Jonnes

History of the conception, building and reception of the tower as well as the World's Fair/Paris Exposition of 1889, where the tower was established as an iconic image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books