U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:06 PM

14,251 posts, read 15,083,416 times

Advertisements

Almost anything by Bill Bryson. I loved A Walk In The Woods and his book Home is something that completely sucked me in. My ex-roommate and her mother also loved it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 07:09 AM

10,958 posts, read 7,027,620 times
Probably my number one book:

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It, Gary Taubes (2010)

and related:

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease by Gary Taubes (2004)
The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline, Dale Bredesen (2017)
Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams, Dr. Matthew P. Walker (2017)
The Big Fat Surprise, Nina Teicholz (2014)
Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution Robert C. Atkins (2002)
The Complete Guide to Fasting, Jason Fung, Jimmy Moore (2016)
The Diabetes Code: prevent and reverse type 2 diabetes naturally, Jason Fung (2018)
The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss, Jason Fung (2016)
Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers, David Perlmutter (2018)
The Circadian Code: Lose Weight, Supercharge Your Energy, and Transform Your Health from Morning to Midnight, Dr. Satchin Panda (2018)
The Longevity Diet, Valter Longo (2016)
Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health, William Davis (2011)

This one should be on my top 10 list somewhere:

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

Old 01-31-2019, 11:43 AM

17,560 posts, read 6,005,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
OK my wife gave me the following books for Christmas -- I will report back later and tell you which ones are worthwhile....
* Epic Survival -- Matt Graham (currently 1/2 way through it)
* Into the Wild - Jon Krakaur (discussed on this forum already)
* Buried In The Sky - P Zuckerman & A Paddan
* Death In The Grand Canyon (also mentioned earlier in this thread)
* No One Would Listen - Harry Markopolis

* Epic Survival -- Matt Graham - As previously mentioned - a good read in my opinion.
* Into the Wild - Jon Krakaur (discussed on this forum already)
* Buried In The Sky - P Zuckerman & A Paddan
* Death In The Grand Canyon (also mentioned earlier in this thread) I finished it but that included some skimming and skipping. This is a long book, some chapters are excellent, some are boring. It's not a bad book but I wouldn't call it "must read".
* No One Would Listen - Harry Markopolis

Other 3 are still on the pile to start.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:32 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,745,134 times
If you liked Into Thin Air and Into the Wild you would probably appreciate Alive by Piers Paul Read. Read many years ago. Enthralling tale of survival. The Perfect Storm and Infidel, already mentioned briefly, were great reads.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
If you liked Into Thin Air and Into the Wild you would probably appreciate Alive by Piers Paul Read. Read many years ago. Enthralling tale of survival. The Perfect Storm and Infidel, already mentioned briefly, were great reads.
And I did just finish Into The Wild, which I would consider to be must read. Probably not quite as good as Into Thin Air, but still very entertaining and informative.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:40 PM

24,472 posts, read 16,478,378 times
After about 4 people told me I had to read it, I just bought a copy of "Educated" by Tara Westover.

It's a memoir about her childhood in a family of survivalists. She never went to a school until she enrolled herself in high school, and when she did, she didn't know how to read or write. Eventually, she won a scholarship at Oxford.

Westover is still in her late 20s, so her life story is all quite recent. Everyone who's read it says its a really good book, and I seldom get so many recommendations as this one got to read it.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:57 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,540,151 times
Although I am only about half way through I highly recommend The Chickens**t Club by Jesse Eisinger. I've never understood why almost no one was prosecuted for the 2008 financial crisis and now I understand why.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:38 PM

3,857 posts, read 2,405,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
After about 4 people told me I had to read it, I just bought a copy of "Educated" by Tara Westover.

It's a memoir about her childhood in a family of survivalists. She never went to a school until she enrolled herself in high school, and when she did, she didn't know how to read or write. Eventually, she won a scholarship at Oxford.

Westover is still in her late 20s, so her life story is all quite recent. Everyone who's read it says its a really good book, and I seldom get so many recommendations as this one got to read it.
I read this and I've recommended it. I do think it's a worthwhile read. But I don't quite get the OMG you must read this kind of reaction that people seem to be having. It seems a little over hyped to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Although I am only about half way through I highly recommend The Chickens**t Club by Jesse Eisinger. I've never understood why almost no one was prosecuted for the 2008 financial crisis and now I understand why.
I've had this on my TBR list for a while. I need to move it up in the line.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:22 AM

20,732 posts, read 8,077,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I added it to my Goodreads "want to read" list. I may take it out of the library today, having finished Chernow's Hamilton.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:57 AM

The Wizard Of Lies -- Diana Henriques

In my opinion --- the best book on the Bernie Madoff swindle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or