U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 08:49 AM

2,033 posts, read 2,530,529 times

Advertisements

Mirrorlands: Russia, China, and Journeys in Between by Ed Pulford.
It is part travelogue, part history, part anthropological, part linguistic. It explores the very long border between China and Russia, the people and the relationships of the people, by a UK scholar who is fluent in Russian and Chinese. I can't recommend it enough. Also, it's a tidy read, under 300 pages, so not a massive time commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 07:59 AM

10,840 posts, read 6,900,966 times
I am really enjoying Susan Orlean - having read The Library Book ( excellent! ) and am more than a quarter way through The Orchid Thief. Rin Tin Tin looks good too.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 1,189 times
Some non-fiction books I have enjoyed it found to be really intriguing:

Friday Night Lights: Tells the story of the Permian Panthers high school football team in the 80s. Very insightful about some of the sensation that is football in Texas. Th e book is more truthful than the movie, and is especially intriguing when paired with the ESPN 30 FOR 30 film, What Carter Lost. They combine for a really interesting view of the Texas "subculture".

The Odyssey of KP2: This book focuses on a rescued Hawaiian Monk Seal and his journey from Hawaii to California. I love reading about animals, animal research, and rescue stories, so I really think this one is a must read for people who love that topic as well.

The Lost Whale: A book that tells about the life of Luna, an orca that interacted with people and lived in the Puget Sound area. Very good, but also bittersweet. A beautiful story, truly.

Letters to John Glenn (1963): A book put together by John Glenn, the Astronaut. It collects letters that people sent him, either about the moon landing or his political aspirations (which I previously didn't know about). I was not alive for the moon kanding, but I stumbled across this book and learned a lot about the way people talked at the time and what issues they were concerned with. It was an interesting window into recent history.

El Paso and the Mexican Revolution: part of the Images of America series. I liked how in depth it was on this topic, while also being brief. The photos are neat to see. Generally, I like the Images of America series a lot.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 1,189 times
In the sports in Texas theme I also loved Glory Road by Don Haskins, a partial memoir about the 1966 NCAA championship winning team that were integral in changing the social perceptions of race in collegiate athletics.

For Southwest history topics, I recommend Down the Santa Fe Trail by Susan Magoffin and the Chronicle of the Narvaez Expedition (or La relacion) by Spanish explorer Alvar Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca

I read a little entertainment non-fiction also and liked As You Wish! This one is about the making of The Princess Bride, which is one of my favorite movies and fiction books.

More good animal focused books:
Tim Birkhead's Bird Sense. It presents information about birds as a species. I learned a lot from it.

Dean Kootz's memoir, A Big Little Life, about one of the dogs he has had that had a great impact upon his life.

Shark Trouble by Peter Benchley. Ironic that the author of the most feared cinema shark, Jaws (Benchkey write the book Jaws that turned into the classic movie of the same name), would turn around and write a non-fiction book clearing up some of the misconceptions his story caused. Very enjoyable, especially for me because I'm very interested in sharks and other marine creatures.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:11 PM

8,210 posts, read 12,299,265 times
Ted Turners Autobiography. Good listen, he narrates, easy listen. Amazing story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or