U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:06 PM

975 posts, read 2,042,588 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies everyone! If anyone has any more replies or suggestions, feel free to contribute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:24 PM

1,745 posts, read 986,888 times
i have a nook glowlight. i like it. it's a dedicated e-reader, so there are no fancy schmancy apps or anything else. it's just for reading! just like a regular book, no colors. i would recommend it if that is what you are looking for. i think it's about $100 new right now.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:20 AM

8,665 posts, read 4,824,076 times
Good point beachie! I also recommend just the dedicated eReader of whichever brand that you decide, for reading. The eInk is wonderfully soothing to read versus the backlit 'color' ones that are like reading on your computer screen!

I also own a Kindle Fire HDX7, but I wouldn't think of reading an eBook on it! I bought it for games and browsing the internet on a portable device.

Paperwhite and Nook Glowlight are NOT backlit so not at all like reading on your PC.

Another neat thing I love about borrowing Kindle books from my library, you borrow[download from home], and they are returned automatically, or you can return them early manually, without even leaving the house, once you set up your library account for PC access.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:47 AM

81 posts, read 54,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Good point beachie! I also recommend just the dedicated eReader of whichever brand that you decide, for reading. The eInk is wonderfully soothing to read versus the backlit 'color' ones that are like reading on your computer screen!

I also own a Kindle Fire HDX7, but I wouldn't think of reading an eBook on it! I bought it for games and browsing the internet on a portable device.

Paperwhite and Nook Glowlight are NOT backlit so not at all like reading on your PC.

Another neat thing I love about borrowing Kindle books from my library, you borrow[download from home], and they are returned automatically, or you can return them early manually, without even leaving the house, once you set up your library account for PC access.
I just use the different font, brightness, size, spacing, and color options. During the day, I use the sepia words on the beige background, at night white letters on black background and I read in the dark. It has never kept me up or strained my eyes. You know, like typing on this message board without my dimmer program on at 3:30 a.m. would. Good thing I'm off tomorrow!

Old 09-17-2015, 05:43 AM

3,383 posts, read 2,629,495 times
I just recently got my first e-reader and went with the kindle paperwhite. I am really enjoying it and though I didn't have much to compare - the deciding factor for me is the fact that I can read it out in the sun on my deck - as well as reading in bed in the dark. ( I don't read much in bed but it's nice that you don't need a light).

I actually thought I would find more available at the library (and we do have the whole inter-county and state wide availability). I have subscribed to a few of the sites that list daily free or promote kindle books and have yet to find anything of interest. I have found project Gutenberg to be a good source for some older interesting (lots of classics but lots of old interesting that you never heard of) free books.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:32 AM

983 posts, read 806,507 times
I have a Kindle Voyage, no it's not inexpensive, in fact it is the top of the line Kindle. But...it is the King of the Kindle. Nice page turning, nice weight and size. I can't seem to fill it up though. I guess I'm just particular about what goes on my Kindle.

Kindle vs Nook, Kindle all the way.

The Kindle has led to a Reading Renaissance for me.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:01 AM

988 posts, read 896,716 times
I use my iPad mini for reading most of the time. I can read .epubs on it using iBooks, and .mobis using the Kindle app. I have one of the original Kindles that I use for reading outside, and I love the fact that the book syncs between the device and the app on my iPad, so I can pick up right where I left off at night when the lights are out.

My husband has an original Nook, which he claims is his favorite reading device. He also has a Kindle Fire HD that he uses at night, or for reading books in .mobi format, but it also cannot be used outdoors in bright sunlight due to glare.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:40 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,432,684 times
I have a Kindle basic (given to me) and I love it. I don't need anything fancy. I do like being able to get a ton of free books from Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or