U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:40 PM

975 posts, read 2,044,961 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about getting a Kindle or Nook for Christmas. I don't want a real expensive one, a refurbished model would be fine. I am thinking of a price <$100. Which would you recommend? What model would you recommend? Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 PM

995 posts, read 962,528 times
My mother has a Nook, and she only uses it when she is gifted with a B&N gift card.
Her Kindle is just the app on her iPad...that's what she uses for the most part. Every time she gets an Amazon gift card, or sees something she wants in all the cheap $1-3 books suggested by her Bookbub subscription, that's where most of her ebook purchases are now.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:26 AM

8,665 posts, read 4,827,770 times
You can get a brand new basic Kindle for $99 with the $20 power adapter that you must buy, or a new Kindle Paperwhite with built in light for $139[w power adapter]. They both store thousands of books.

I got my Kindle Touch back in OCT.'11 and it's still going strong.I have over 800 books stored on it, most of them downloaded as Kindle Freebies, which I find by checking the freebies forum daily.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...DiscussionsNew

Then I scroll through the similar books on the page of a freebie that I downloaded. Since prices can change within hours, always make sure that the price is still $0.00 before you click that download button! However, if you accidently DL an ebook before noticing that it is no longer free, you can return it for a refund through your "Manage Your Devices and Content". You also have up to 7 days to return any Kindle book, which I don't think is an option through Barnes and Noble with their nook books.

I chose a Kindle because I believe Amazon has the best Customer Service and A to Z guarantee on the planet!

When I need a new Kindle eReader I will go with a Paperwhite next time for the convenience of having that built in light.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:13 AM

2,242 posts, read 2,495,937 times
The Kindle Paperwhite is an amazing reader and well worth the cost. The standard is not bad either, but you need a light source. Don't buy the charger, because it's micro USB and will work with nearly any phone charger. I would chose Kindle over the Nook if for nothing else the huge amount of free books that Amazon releases daily. Also, if you already have Amazon Prime or are thinking about getting it there are additional free books, and they have a "library" loan system for even the most popular books.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 AM

9,154 posts, read 9,279,388 times
Also, I read books I take out from my library on my Kindle. As time goes by, I'm able to access newer and newer books. I'm reading A Little Life and will read Purity next.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 AM

24,475 posts, read 26,367,589 times
I have a Nook and a Nook app on my work tablet--Even though Barnes and Noble is a huge company, I like the idea of supporting a bookstore rather than Amazon.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,926,616 times
I'm all for the Kindle myself. I had both the Kindle and Nook apps and found I just liked the selection better from Amazon as well as the prices are oftentimes better with Amazon than B&N. I know people who have had Nooks and just did not like them or when they took on a Kindle or the Kindle app preferred it. I also get library books on my Kindle all the time and my library has a fantastic selection of Kindle books. I'm hoping to get a new Kindle Paperwhite soon as my Kindle is pretty old. Still works fabulously but I figure I can get myself a new one and then give the old one to my daughter.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:14 PM

27,456 posts, read 17,796,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
I was thinking about getting a Kindle or Nook for Christmas. I don't want a real expensive one, a refurbished model would be fine. I am thinking of a price <$100. Which would you recommend? What model would you recommend? Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated.
If you get a Kindle, you will want to get books from Amazon. If you get a Nook, you will want to get books from Barnes & Noble. I'd choose whichever retailer I wanted to work with, and then I would buy whichever reader went with it. You can actually look at Nooks at any B & N, and Kindles at any Best Buy.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:05 PM

81 posts, read 54,881 times
I just read on a Kindle Fire HD. It's a tablet, but I like it because when I'm traveling, I can also use it to play a few games or listen to Spotify music that I made available offline without sucking the life out of my phone. If the hotel has wi-fi, I can also watch movies or TV shows on it instead of being limited to what the hotel offers. I watched all seasons of The Wire on that thing.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:28 PM

15,895 posts, read 16,049,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
You can get a brand new basic Kindle for $99 with the $20 power adapter that you must buy, or a new Kindle Paperwhite with built in light for $139[w power adapter]. They both store thousands of books.

I got my Kindle Touch back in OCT.'11 and it's still going strong.I have over 800 books stored on it, most of them downloaded as Kindle Freebies, which I find by checking the freebies forum daily.

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV

Then I scroll through the similar books on the page of a freebie that I downloaded. Since prices can change within hours, always make sure that the price is still $0.00 before you click that download button! However, if you accidently DL an ebook before noticing that it is no longer free, you can return it for a refund through your "Manage Your Devices and Content". You also have up to 7 days to return any Kindle book, which I don't think is an option through Barnes and Noble with their nook books.

I chose a Kindle because I believe Amazon has the best Customer Service and A to Z guarantee on the planet!

When I need a new Kindle eReader I will go with a Paperwhite next time for the convenience of having that built in light.
I agree with all of the above. I love my Kindle. It's the basic model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or