Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

When I started reading (really reading) again last summer, I decided I wanted to discover new female writers. Most reviews seem to cover male writers, but I know there are good female writers out there. It seems to me female writers write about things that interest me more than most male writers. (There are exceptions of course.) Then after a few books, I decided that I didn't need to read any more about the upper classes of England, so I've been looking for female North American writers, at least mostly.

I am finding writers to read in various ways. I discovered Ruth Azeki and Elizabeth Strout by simply browsing in a bookstore before a trip. I needed two books, and I chose two books written by each of these authors. And I am glad I did!

I read reviews in the Wall Street Journal. There aren't a lot of reviews of fiction, but occasionally I run into a female mystery or fiction writer that intrigues me. I knew about Marilynn Robinson's books, but had not read them. Something I read reminded me of them, so I requested one of them and was hooked.

Sometimes I've checked the back flap of a book to see which other writers have written admiring stuff about a book I was reading. Sometimes I wrack my brain to think of female writers I have encountered before, or heard about before. In the case of Sue Grafton, I've been reading her for decades!

And I have followed a Barnes & Noble blog about authors as well.

As you can see, I've followed a fragmented path to finding books I want to read. I wondered how you guys find things you want to read. Do you decide you will read only one sort of book? Do you ask your friends? (Almost no friends of mine are readers.) I know some of you post queries in this thread.

So--what are you doing to find books you want to read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
My local library has a section of new and popular books and I browse that area exclusively. If I see a new book from a favorite author I grab it without a second thought. With the others I will scan the summary briefly and make a decision based on that. Nowadays, I read strictly for entertainment so I no longer read "heavy" or heartbreaking topics. A good book cover attracts me too.

Like Silibran, I'd have to really wrack my brain to remember all the authors I've liked over the years so now I leave it pretty much up to chance that I'll run across them again.

I read reviews in the newspaper and in some magazines and will place a hold from the library on a title that sounds good. I don't buy books, ever. Been there, done that.

I've also gotten ideas from this forum if it sounds like something I would enjoy.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:42 PM

61 posts, read 56,870 times
I focus on a subject I find interesting then google it. Read the reviews and the amazon chart. I mostly read non-fictions.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:05 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
I usually look for books by genre~ historical fiction, cozy mystery, science fiction, fantasy ect. at Amazon and goodreads. Or I put the title of a book that I particularly liked in the search bar at those sites, and read the reviews from others who enjoyed it and look at what other books they enjoyed.

I also look for books by subject, such as recently looked for WWII homefront-American and England,and War Brides, both fiction and nonfiction interests me.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:42 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I am forever grateful to this forum, and occasional mentions by friends and acquaintances. I do go to the library and just browse around for something to catch my eyes.
I am also in a book club, but browse other book clubs just to see what is being read by them just for ideas.
Of course when I find an author I enjoy I do tend to read their other works over time.
Finally, I admit to looking up books on amazon, and then seeing
at the bottom, "those who bought this bought this book also bought....." for inspiration.
Frequently - somehow- I will hear of the same books from multiple places.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:50 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Originally Posted by Mayvenne
Quote:
at the bottom, "those who bought this bought this book also bought....."
Oh yes, I always do that, as well! Especially with Kindle 'freebies', I often find more freebies in those next 20 pages!

Luuuuuv Amazon!

Old 11-04-2015, 12:36 PM

443 posts, read 437,996 times
I check out a lot of Book Lists whether on Goodreads, Pinterest, web sites, etc. I've been reading a lot of books off of the BBC Big Read list from years ago. Then others are recommended to me by friends or family. Others are books I browsed through in the library.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:44 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default There are many places to look

Yup, the public & college libraries usually have something like a reader's guide to books - If you liked that, maybe you'd like this. Libraries usually have a new books (in fiction & non-fiction) section. They also post lists of best-sellers, what's currently checking out a lot. You can always ask the reference librarian, they can look up or tell you what's trending.

Public libraries are great places for readers. & of course, you can look up best-seller lists on paper, in the NY Times booksection, the NYT Magazine, on the Internet, etc. Genres often run top 50, top 100, etc. reading lists - you can hunt them down on the Internet too.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:29 PM

371 posts, read 257,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When I started reading (really reading) again last summer, I decided I wanted to discover new female writers. Most reviews seem to cover male writers, but I know there are good female writers out there. It seems to me female writers write about things that interest me more than most male writers. (There are exceptions of course.) Then after a few books, I decided that I didn't need to read any more about the upper classes of England, so I've been looking for female North American writers, at least mostly.

I am finding writers to read in various ways. I discovered Ruth Azeki and Elizabeth Strout by simply browsing in a bookstore before a trip. I needed two books, and I chose two books written by each of these authors. And I am glad I did!

I read reviews in the Wall Street Journal. There aren't a lot of reviews of fiction, but occasionally I run into a female mystery or fiction writer that intrigues me. I knew about Marilynn Robinson's books, but had not read them. Something I read reminded me of them, so I requested one of them and was hooked.

Sometimes I've checked the back flap of a book to see which other writers have written admiring stuff about a book I was reading. Sometimes I wrack my brain to think of female writers I have encountered before, or heard about before. In the case of Sue Grafton, I've been reading her for decades!

And I have followed a Barnes & Noble blog about authors as well.

As you can see, I've followed a fragmented path to finding books I want to read. I wondered how you guys find things you want to read. Do you decide you will read only one sort of book? Do you ask your friends? (Almost no friends of mine are readers.) I know some of you post queries in this thread.

So--what are you doing to find books you want to read?
Amazon new releases area
Friends
Family
Digging through books at thrift stores. Ask my wife and she will say its the ONLY area I look for in a thrift store
Goodreads.com to organize them all and give me recommendations based on what I have read and what I want to read.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:31 PM

371 posts, read 257,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I am forever grateful to this forum, and occasional mentions by friends and acquaintances. I do go to the library and just browse around for something to catch my eyes.
I am also in a book club, but browse other book clubs just to see what is being read by them just for ideas.
Of course when I find an author I enjoy I do tend to read their other works over time.
at the bottom, "those who bought this bought this book also bought....." for inspiration.

Frequently - somehow- I will hear of the same books from multiple places.
Haha I do the same thing,its addictive. I find a book put it on goodreads.com look it up on amazon and look it up on paperbackswap to see if its available for free to me and if I have credits to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books