U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:23 PM

27,826 posts, read 31,392,480 times

Advertisements

Karin Slaughter wrotes great books but they are very graphic. I just read Pretty Girls and really enjoyed it - a psychological thriller. Also her book Cop Town is a period book about the first female police officers in 1970s Atlanta. So interesting, and points a vivid portrait on race, sex and class at the time.

One indie novelist I have quite liked is David Barrie. He is pretty indie but to can find his books on Amazon. They are nice lighter mysteries that take place in Paris mostly and offer an education on surprising topics via the side stories: fashion, perfume, lingerie.

I also love Cara Black's novels about Aimee Leduc Parisienne PI. They take place in the 90s. Each highlights a Paris neighborhood woven in with the mystery. Super interesting. I have read them all, each are page turners! I also love when novels give me a good sense of place. I read them out of sequence. And it was fine. Only the recent ones need to be in sequence only because she has a big life change that unfolds.

And Harlan Coben is great. I have read many of his. If you like sports, you definitely want to check out the series with the Sports Agent. The rest are stand alone. Well paced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:57 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,841,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
There is also a sequel - "One Year After" which is also quite good!
Thanks for this; I've requesting both of them at the library I haven't read a dystopian book for quite a while now, so these might be a good return to this style of writing.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:21 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,841,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Great, thanks.

Also, I prefer current-day stories (not historical crime) & prefer not to read a series in which I have to read them in a sequence.

Any other suggestions?
Try Peter Abrahams. Here's a list of all his books; scroll down to see the stand-alone mysteries.
Order of Peter Abrahams Books - OrderOfBooks.com

Honestly, I LOVE his Chet & Bernie books! But these are best read in order of publication, because the characters are progressing wonderfully.

Peter Abrahams is, in my opinion, an excellent author. What he writes is not flashy or cheap in any way, yet sometimes there are very dark characters. He really knows how to make one love or hate a personage and I usually don't have a glimmer how it all will end.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:29 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,365,738 times
John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series and the Virgel Flowers series.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:22 AM

3,814 posts, read 2,417,227 times
I've just discovered Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware books and am enjoying them.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 PM

12,270 posts, read 9,907,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series and the Virgel Flowers series.
He has a new sci fi (!) book out called Saturn Run co-written with Ctein, who I'd never heard of before. I took a whack at it but I just couldn't get interested.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:10 AM

504 posts, read 432,480 times
I like John Connolly. "Bad Men" is a stand alone book that is good that he has written. Here is a wikepedia page for the rest of the books he is known for...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Connolly_(author)

Old 01-09-2016, 03:02 PM

60,034 posts, read 43,644,115 times
Two of my favorites:

Donna Leon and her Guido Brunetti series

Daniel Silva and his Gabriel Allon series

Old 01-11-2016, 09:15 PM

12,270 posts, read 9,907,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Daniel Silva and his Gabriel Allon series
Silva is one of the best natural storytellers I've read in a long time.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:59 AM

5,548 posts, read 7,011,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
Tana French (Dublin Murder Squad Series)

Louise Penny (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Series)

Both of these are excellent mystery writers. I was turned on to them by members in this sub-forum and for that I am most grateful
I got thr Tana French book and am loving it. Thanks for the recommendation

Good thread will try some of the others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or