Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:36 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times

Advertisements

What good mystery/thriller novels (and/or currently popular mystery authors) are there nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 09:45 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,011 times
Tana French (Dublin Murder Squad Series)

Louise Penny (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Series)

Both of these are excellent mystery writers. I was turned on to them by members in this sub-forum and for that I am most grateful

Old 12-16-2015, 09:44 AM

Great, thanks.

Also, I prefer current-day stories (not historical crime) & prefer not to read a series in which I have to read them in a sequence.

Any other suggestions?

Old 12-19-2015, 06:01 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Try Franck Thilliez, author of Born to Kill and Syndrome E.

Both books are the definition of mystery/thriller.

Another good book is Start Shooting by Charlie Newton.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:07 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Crime mystery novels by Michael Connelly. They're all set in SoCal. He has a number of characters in a number of series going, but each novel can be read separately. He is a former crime reporter for the LA Times.

MichaelConnelly.com

Old 12-19-2015, 10:29 PM

Thanks guys. I went to B&N today & I recall seeing Michael Connelly's book called Crossing today.

I got The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins today. It seems good & I read an article that says it's the fast-selling adult novel in history, so that says quite a bit.

Any others?

Old 12-20-2015, 02:24 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
IMO, for a thriller, it would be hard to top ~~"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly

real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America

loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon,

an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all

Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look

at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a

weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe

and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and

our end.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:49 PM

i_love_autumn, great, thanks for sharing.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:22 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
i_love_autumn, great, thanks for sharing.

You're most welcome. I read the 2-chapter sample and believe it is going to be a 'white-knuckle' read! I'm waiting for it to be returned to my library, but I am 4th in line!

Old 12-21-2015, 05:40 AM

301 posts, read 823,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
IMO, for a thriller, it would be hard to top ~~"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly

real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America

loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon,

an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all

Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look

at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a

weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe

and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and

our end.

There is also a sequel - "One Year After" which is also quite good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books