U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 06:20 AM

202 posts, read 308,907 times

Advertisements

I'd like to read some novels that a few of you here would consider "perfect" or "near-perfect". Also state the genre of the novel. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 09:14 AM

4,527 posts, read 7,734,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
I'd like to read some novels that a few of you here would consider "perfect" or "near-perfect". Also state the genre of the novel. Thanks!
I have read thousands of books over the years. I am now approaching 70 and I started reading at around age 5. So I would think if I remember reading and enjoying a book YEARS after I read it that book must have been very special. My reading interests have expanded over the years because my life experiences have affected my appreciation of various topics. I may forget the title of a good book after a few years but I can almost always recall the name/s of authors that I have enjoyed. Some of those authors may not have written too many books (Harper Lee, Margaret Mitchell) but they wrote at least one I remembered.

Science fiction stories were my main enjoyment when I first started reading and I still love the genre but I haven't read any GREAT Sci/Fi by a NEW author for many years. There may be great writers of Science Fiction producing stories worthy of reading now but when you grew up reading authors like H.G. Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Phillip Jose Farmer etc any current author of Sci/Fi has some serious competition from the early authors.

Great stories told by great story tellers will stand the test of time. Political Correctness has tried to CENSOR great authors (Mark Twain for one) but greatness overcomes idiocy eventually. Many still read works by authors that have been dead for centuries. I have to wonder how many of our current authors will still be on the reading list of those alive in the 25th Century. I think authors like Larry McMurtry, Herman Wouk, James Michener, and a few others of the 20th Century will still be read in the future but very few of those on the Bestselling list of the current NYT list will still be read.

So here is my list of books/authors from my memory in approximate chronological order of my reading of them not by when the authors wrote them.
Genre is Sci/Fi.
Edgar Rice Burroughs
H.G. Wells
Jules Verne
Ray Bradbury
Isaac Asimov
Philip Jose Farmer
Larry Pournelle/Jerry Niven
Ender's Game

Westerns
Zane Grey
Louis L'Amour
LONESOME DOVE and sequels, prequels.

Classics
Dickens
Mark Twain
Herman Melville
Edgar Allen Poe
James Fenimore Cooper
Shakespeare (great story concepts IMHO but can't stand his wording)
to be continued after I get all of my "honey do's done for the day.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:30 AM

72 posts, read 41,946 times
Hands down the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons in Science fiction genre is the best ever.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:31 AM

3,180 posts, read 6,821,486 times
I have read many books that I thought were perfect for me at the time, though I'm not confident enough to declare them perfect all around.

One book that definitely comes to mind as close to perfection is Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. I loved the characters, the pacing, the setting and the beautiful writing.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:07 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,840,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Great stories told by great story tellers will stand the test of time. Political Correctness has tried to CENSOR great authors (Mark Twain for one) but greatness overcomes idiocy eventually. Many still read works by authors that have been dead for centuries. I have to wonder how many of our current authors will still be on the reading list of those alive in the 25th Century. I think authors like Larry McMurtry, Herman Wouk, James Michener, and a few others of the 20th Century will still be read in the future but very few of those on the Bestselling list of the current NYT list will still be read.
No one has ever tried to prevent the issuing of Twain's works, only their presence in certain areas. While I do not approve of such a thing generally, the sniveling that this is some new phenomenon called 'political correctness' needs to stop.

Go read Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls (1940) - the author uses the words 'obscenity' and 'unprintable' for words he knew no publisher would ever print. He uses the word 'muck' (as in 'muck this whole treacherous much-faced mucking country') because he couldn't write the word that was actually appropriate. Go read Mailer's The Naked And The Dead (1948), which contains many instances of the word 'fug' being used by the troops, because he couldn't use the proper word that occurs in just about every other sentence spoken by most soldiers and sailors in the course of their duty - again, no publisher would take it. See when the government stopped actually censoring (in the actual definition of the word, unlike how you use it) imports of Lawrence's Lady Chatterly's Lover (it wasn't until 1959) or when the ban on Miller's Tropic Of Cancer was lifted in the United States (published in 1939, federally banned until 1961).

That's censorship. That's political correctness on steroids.

And there's a whole lot less of it today than there was in the supposedly-halcyon yesteryear of Twain.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:55 PM

11,421 posts, read 10,446,911 times
Pride and Prejudice, of course!

Old 12-29-2015, 07:32 AM

19,378 posts, read 17,511,473 times
Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova
Ethan Frome, Edith Wharton

All of them beyond perfect, IMO.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:40 AM

461 posts, read 282,395 times
**** My Dad Says if you want absolute rolling on the floor humor!

Old 12-29-2015, 05:48 PM

15,894 posts, read 16,019,289 times
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Trinity by Leon Uris

Old 12-29-2015, 09:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,530,139 times
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or