U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 AM

6,232 posts, read 2,318,073 times

Advertisements

Really the writer, but you know what I mean. Have you ever read a book and got mad when the plot took a turn you didn't like, like one of the good characters dies or makes a life damaging decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 11:34 AM

6,730 posts, read 8,071,634 times
Not if it 'belongs' there. If it seems like the writer is forcing the characters in a direction that seems to be out of character for the characters, then I would stop reading the book. Usually. One exception was A Little Life. I kept reading, and the writer is a great writer but at the end, I felt I had been played and manipulated. It made me very, very angry. But I recently tossed that out with qualified recommendation to my SIL who is a big reader. I will be very interested to hear what she thinks of it.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:09 PM

3,377 posts, read 7,372,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Not if it 'belongs' there. If it seems like the writer is forcing the characters in a direction that seems to be out of character for the characters, then I would stop reading the book. Usually. One exception was A Little Life. I kept reading, and the writer is a great writer but at the end, I felt I had been played and manipulated. It made me very, very angry. But I recently tossed that out with qualified recommendation to my SIL who is a big reader. I will be very interested to hear what she thinks of it.

When I think about getting angry reading a book - this was the first one that came to mind. I didn't get angry for the same reasons that Netwit did, however. My anger was with some of the decisions that the protagonist made when I knew what impact they would have on his life. A Little Life was a powerful, difficult read, for sure!

Old 01-08-2016, 01:40 PM

15,895 posts, read 17,173,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
When I think about getting angry reading a book - this was the first one that came to mind. I didn't get angry for the same reasons that Netwit did, however. My anger was with some of the decisions that the protagonist made when I knew what impact they would have on his life. A Little Life was a powerful, difficult read, for sure!

I love that book but I'm still angry at the author for daring to make me cry so often while reading the book. At the end it totally wrecked me. My sister called me around the time I finished the book when I was in a despondent crying jag. She thought I was having a nervous breakdown. She really did.

I know it sounds melodramatic but that book and the characters will always be with me. I was left with a feeling of complete loss of hope. I will never read it again but I will also never delete it from the kindle, either.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,199,029 times
I felt angry at a lot of the characters in "A Casual Vacancy." What a pathetic lot! I just wanted to shake some sense into most of them.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 825,917 times
Yes

"It" by Stephen King disgusted me so much I've never read one of his since

20 odd years ago

When they all had to have sex with the Pretty Girl to get rid of the spider

what a load of sexist BS

Old 01-08-2016, 03:27 PM

15,964 posts, read 19,302,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I know we've talked about it, netwit, but I got mad at A Little Life for the same reason you did. But I thought the writer made up for lack of a story by putting every appalling detail of a crappy life she could think of in the book to try and hold interest.

I get mad at authors if characters do things or say things that (IMO) no one would do or say in real life. I guess it's a feeling that my expectations of reading a good book have been dashed, which is pretty immature when you think about it. I was angry with the author of Gone Girl for that reason.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:35 AM

6,564 posts, read 13,705,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Really the writer, but you know what I mean. Have you ever read a book and got mad when the plot took a turn you didn't like, like one of the good characters dies or makes a life damaging decision.
Not for those. I have gotten angry when an author so insulted my intellect as a reader, so obviously sent the contracted publisher garbage, so clearly just hired a band of 'lancers to milk a famous name, that I had a hard time believing they felt they could get away with it. Laurell K. Hamilton, take your bow. Brian Herbert, stay bowed down so that you can be struck across the brain stem, where it won't do lasting harm. W.E.B. Griffin, your kid can't write, cut him loose. Dale Brown, just stop. Ian Slater, seriously? Harry Turtledove, will you never evolve, or are you just too money in your genre to be obliged to evolve?

Old 01-09-2016, 02:09 PM

6,232 posts, read 2,318,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Yes

"It" by Stephen King disgusted me so much I've never read one of his since

20 odd years ago

When they all had to have sex with the Pretty Girl to get rid of the spider

what a load of sexist BS
I didn't know that about that book. Jeez!

Old 01-16-2016, 09:11 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,116,027 times
I didn't get angry, per se, while reading A Little Life so much as I felt forced to do so many eyerolls. Did that woman ever meet a gay man? At least one of the characters, the actor, made no sense whatsoever. You can't just decide to be gay one day because you like your best friend so much. If I have any actual anger towards the book, it's directed at the idiots who called it "book of the year" or "the first great gay novel of the 21st century."

I was angry, perhaps, when I read or, I should more accurately say, tried to read the first book in Anne Rice's Vampire series. What hogwash. I literally threw the book (paperback) across the room somewhere between pp. 50 and 60, and it lay there for a couple of weeks before I tossed it. I was late to the series, and I was able to return the next two of three volumes to B. Dalton for a full refund. How could so many of my friends liked that POS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books