U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 05:44 AM

8,667 posts, read 4,817,244 times

Advertisements

There was a massive world wide warning, so everybody is running to the shelters. A guy in America is in a crowd of people, he gets pushed and trampled/knocked out. When he wakes up there are no people anywhere, no clothing left in piles or anything. The shelters are completely empty, with the doors open.
Later he finds a coma patient in the hospital and figures out that only the ones who were unconscious did not disappear.
Gets in touch with a woman in England, who just gave birth and was unconscious in the after care unit.
It ends with him managing to learn how to fly a plane, and getting to her, and them deciding to keep looking for more people and more answers.

Someone is looking for this book on goodreads, and I think it sounds like a great read that I want to read soooo bad, plus help them find it.

BTW the book was read 15-20 years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:32 AM

15,895 posts, read 16,024,507 times
Wow. That does sound good. It also sounds like something John Wyndham would write but it is too much like his The Day of the Triffids so he probably did not write it. I'm checking through his books to make sure. I'll report back if I find it.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Wow. That does sound good. It also sounds like something John Wyndham would write but it is too much like his The Day of the Triffids so he probably did not write it. I'm checking through his books to make sure. I'll report back if I find it.

Cool, I've asked at the Amazon forums and everywhere I can think of, but no luck, so far!

Old 01-19-2016, 05:55 AM

20,544 posts, read 27,469,774 times
Ooh…love Dystopian.

I am checking for you.

Here is a good list:
96 Dystopian Science Fiction Books - The Best Sci Fi Books

Wow…some good ones there. No luck on yours yet.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Ooh…love Dystopian.

I am checking for you.

Here is a good list:
96 Dystopian Science Fiction Books - The Best Sci Fi Books

Wow…some good ones there. No luck on yours yet.

Hey thanks Lisa, I saved your list, but actually I think this book is Apocalyptic-post apocalyptic,which I actually prefer over Dystopian, except totally love the movie-I, Robot with Will Smith, lol!

A dystopia is a society where societal perfection or societal transcendence is obtained at the expense of something else. That "something else" could be a devalued class of people, the loss of a fundamental freedom, or the surrender of some aspect of human nature. Literary dystopias often arise through a slow process of societal change, or more abruptly as the result of some cataclysm. In either case, the dystopia represents society in a stable state, albeit a state most of us find appalling in some manner.

Post-apocalyptic literature, on the other hand, focuses on the instability during and/or following a cataclysmic event that shatters society both in form and headcount. During the story, whatever society exists is typically small, isolated, and highly threatened. Often there is little or no hope for any meaningful future. Although it is true that post-apocalyptic events can lead to the formation of dystopian societies, it is the immediately endangered nature of the society that interests me as a reader.

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...tic-literature

I'm just getting into both, recently. Can't wait to read One Second After, but there are still two ahead of me at the library.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 01-19-2016 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-19-2016, 08:17 AM

555 posts, read 679,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
There was a massive world wide warning, so everybody is running to the shelters. A guy in America is in a crowd of people, he gets pushed and trampled/knocked out. When he wakes up there are no people anywhere, no clothing left in piles or anything. The shelters are completely empty, with the doors open.
Later he finds a coma patient in the hospital and figures out that only the ones who were unconscious did not disappear.
Gets in touch with a woman in England, who just gave birth and was unconscious in the after care unit.
It ends with him managing to learn how to fly a plane, and getting to her, and them deciding to keep looking for more people and more answers.

Someone is looking for this book on goodreads, and I think it sounds like a great read that I want to read soooo bad, plus help them find it.

BTW the book was read 15-20 years ago.
Sounds like a Twilight Zone episode.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post
Sounds like a Twilight Zone episode.

That it does!

Old 01-20-2016, 06:16 AM

20,544 posts, read 27,469,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Hey thanks Lisa, I saved your list, but actually I think this book is Apocalyptic-post apocalyptic,which I actually prefer over Dystopian, except totally love the movie-I, Robot with Will Smith, lol!

A dystopia is a society where societal perfection or societal transcendence is obtained at the expense of something else. That "something else" could be a devalued class of people, the loss of a fundamental freedom, or the surrender of some aspect of human nature. Literary dystopias often arise through a slow process of societal change, or more abruptly as the result of some cataclysm. In either case, the dystopia represents society in a stable state, albeit a state most of us find appalling in some manner.

Post-apocalyptic literature, on the other hand, focuses on the instability during and/or following a cataclysmic event that shatters society both in form and headcount. During the story, whatever society exists is typically small, isolated, and highly threatened. Often there is little or no hope for any meaningful future. Although it is true that post-apocalyptic events can lead to the formation of dystopian societies, it is the immediately endangered nature of the society that interests me as a reader.

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...tic-literature

I'm just getting into both, recently. Can't wait to read One Second After, but there are still two ahead of me at the library.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Old 01-20-2016, 02:49 PM

3,935 posts, read 2,427,595 times
Please post when you find out because now I want to read it.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Please post when you find out because now I want to read it.

I sure will if it's found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or