U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:58 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,305,116 times

Advertisements

I re-read all of my favorites.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:08 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,863,969 times
I often reread novels.

Every few years I read John Irving's The World According to Garp or A Prayer for Owen Meany. When I do, I feel like I'm getting reacquainted with old friends.

Since I read to enjoy both the way the author tells the story and the process by which it unfolds, and not to 'find out what happens', the fact that I already know the ending does not lessen my enjoyment of a book I am rereading. When I finish a new novel that I love, I am pleased that in five or ten years I'll get to enjoy it all over again.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:13 AM

14,017 posts, read 18,750,106 times
I'll get in line here as another one who enjoyed re-reading The Lord of the Rings several times. Nor had much time elapsed since the first reading! I came to that work late in life, about age 70. I tried to analyze why re-reading it gave me so much pleasure, but I could not come up with adequate reasons. Sure, one does discover new connections and so forth, but there is something which transcends all that which I couldn't (and stil can't) put my finger on.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:09 PM

522 posts, read 608,218 times
I love rereading books. It's like being greeted by an old friend.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:46 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,869,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony321 View Post
I love rereading books. It's like being greeted by an old friend.
Exactly. Lots of times, if you haven't read the book in many years, you have an entirely different perspective on it, too.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:22 PM

40,477 posts, read 50,033,115 times
Yes, I have done this, although not very often. Once in awhile, a book takes you to your happy place, so why not go there often?

Old 03-11-2016, 06:14 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,801,516 times
Yes, I normally read books more than once (not too often though because it takes me so long to get through a book anymore!). Typically though, if it's been a few years I won't remember what I've read (same with movies). I recently re-read a book about 2nd Manassas and I hardly remember reading a word of what I read the first time and I think it had only been 2 or the most 3 years since I read it!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:56 AM

862 posts, read 1,026,995 times
Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. They number 40+ and most TP fans I know have reread the entire series multiple times both in and out of order. It's like visiting with an old friend.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:53 PM

32,147 posts, read 50,509,311 times
There are many books I have read numerous times and often I won't finish a book after starting it because I know it won't rate re-reading...
I read mainly mysteries now and there are only a few writers I will re-read...not because I know how it ends but because the characters aren't worth revisiting...
Those I do enjoy include
Lawrence Block's series with private detective Matt Scudder and those of the hit man Keller, Thomas Perry's novels especially the early Jane Whitefield ones and the 3 Butcher Boy ones, the Fiona Griffiths series by Harry Bingham, Donna Leon's series with Commissario Guido Brunetti of Venice, Anne Perry series with Thomas Monk.
Other writers I retread--Rosemany Gellis's historical novels especially "Fortune's Bride" and "Tapestry of Dreams", Laura Kinsale's romance novels Flowers from the Storm, For My Lady's Heart, and The Shadow and the Star...C.S. Forrester's Hornblower books...
Kenneth Roberts's novels Northwest Passage and others about the American Revolution...

Old 04-08-2016, 12:29 AM

111 posts, read 98,147 times
Absolutely! Some I re-read regularly like once a year ("Lord of the Rings" e.g.) because they are cream of the crops and my absolutely favorites.

Others I re-read because I simply don't remember them. Sometimes I browse through my bookshelf, grab something and frown. Like I remember reading it but I can't recall what it was about. So I go again. It can be a great adventure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or