Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:46 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times

Advertisements

Can you help? I've never been a "reader" in my whole life. When I was in grade school, I positively rebelled against reading and only read what I absolutely had to. Don't think I read anything in high school either (barely scraped by getting decent grades ~ even tho I could've been an honor roll student if I'd have put any effort into it at all). Didn't go to college, never had a desire (until just recently). Now I'm almost 44 years old, have raised several kids, and I see my young adult daughter getting so much pleasure from reading. I want that!!

So, can you give me some suggestions on where to start? I've scanned thru several of the threads here, but so many of the titles/authors just seem so foreign to me, like it's the language of a secret society that I'm not a part of. I have read To Kill a Mockingbird and enjoyed it quite a bit. Just finished Little Children and that was an easy read. Tried reading The Scarlet Letter awhile ago, and it didn't quite grab me.

Should I start with all the books that are on the "required reading" list for high school, or ??????????? Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Can you help? I've never been a "reader" in my whole life.

Should I start with all the books that are on the "required reading" list for high school, or ??????????? Ideas?
One sure fire way of getting the best info and the books at the same time and for FREE is to go to the library and ask for some advice. Librarians are a lovely breed and can't wait to help you.

Hope you have a good library near you!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
southdown's advice is so good, the public library and the librarian are your first resource.

You might also just go to a bookstore, and look, look, browse, read titles, synopses and table listings to see what might just "grab ya."

You might try looking at who won prizes in literature, and see if any of those titles capture your interest.

So many little, free ways to read a book--and a very good book, too!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Thanx southdown and ontheroad!! I actually went to library today to get a new card (lost the old one). It definitely is not close by, but do-able. And I realized that a young lady I had met in real estate class and become friendly with was a librarian previously. Bet she'd be a great source!!! Checked out a couple of books today and gonna keep plugging away at it!

Thanx again!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:22 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
ok, now this is just my personal opinion, but why not try to read something fun? I have nothing against Little Children or The Scarlet Letter, but why read something so...literary? please don't feel you HAVE to read books by Shakespeare, Dickens, Fitzgerald, and all those Russian dudes whose names I won't attempt to spell, in order to be considered a serious reader. again, I'm not saying those books aren't fun (and the authors I mentioned are some of my favorites), but don't feel the books you have to read must come from a HS reading list (I've heard of a lot of people that have stopped reading b/c they hated the stuff on those lists, yet failed to realized that there's more out there in terms of literature that isn't included on those reading lists).

IMO, it's great when someone who goes from reading nothing to reading something, even if that something is a Danielle Steele/Anne Rice/Plum Sykes book. if you've rarely/never read in the recent past, it may be nicer to work up the the oft times harder/more metaphorical/thematic stuff.

I know a few people who've completely stopped reading novels after taking the mandatory English course in college. I got one girl to start reading the Harry Potter series, another Carrie. the major similarity between these two people is that they most of the first few books had been adapted into movies they had liked. and once they tackled the lenghtier HP/SK novels, they felt confident enough to move onto different types of books. if there's a movie you love, check to see if it was adapted from a book (even though you may technically know the ending, the novels tend to be better than the movies and sometimes major things are changed)

I'd follow ontheroad's suggestion: just go into a bookstore/library and pick up the first book that grabs you. don't feel ashamed if you find yourself browsing through the children's section (I LOVE this section. some of my favorite books would be classified a kids/YA books), or picking up books w/ dragons or half naked women on the covers. and of course, if you really want to tackle War and Peace or Kafka, by all means, go for it! variety is good, keeps things interesting

...or, you could do what most people do and go the WWOR route (What Would Oprah Read?).

Old 02-08-2008, 06:48 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Great advice from all..I would just say to start with books on interests you already have and go from there. Fiction or non fiction. I just started reading history a few years ago, starting with 'easy' books and it has become an obsession!!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
The most important thing about reading is enjoying it. There are as many books as there are readers so whatever your tastes and personality there will books for you to enjoy.

My advice would be to decide what kind of thing you enjoy and go to the library or a GOOD bookstore .
And don't give up if some books don't appeal. All books are different, many bad ones out there and some fantastic ones too. The world is your oyster and most important "HAVE FUN" !

Books open up a new world for readers and are the best escapism there is. They make you think, laugh, cry and feel , they keep you company when you are lonely and will always be there for you unconditionally !

A lot of people are afraid of books, i think because a lot of people are pretentious about it and make it sound purely like an intellectual exercise. A good book is one you enjoy, relish and devour. A bad one is one which bores you and leaves you cold.
What those books are I can't tell you, only you can make that decision.

People are far too prissy about books, like food. It is what you make of it and don't let others make you feel "silly" because they don't like the same things you do. Ignore book snobs. Which most of us are as I guess human nature is to think that our taste is "superior" to others. Ignore us still. We are not you, your mind is what you make it.
You are the reader.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:21 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Go for whatever interests or intrigues you. I've run the gamut over the years, but the last several months since my husband died, I've pretty much stuck to chick-lit, aka Romance. I have more than enought reality to deal with now, I want escapism, pure and simple, and Happy Ever Afters. It's not all that easy to find well-written ones, so I stick to a minority of writers who I know do good work, and they don't disappoint. Once life has gotten back to normal, whatever that is, I'll probably go back to reading anything and everything I can get, as long as it's on tape [part of that 'reality' thing I've gotten so much of lately]. So, don't worry about trying to 'catch up' or anything like that. Just go on from where you are now, in whatever direction appeals.

One of the things I've noticed as I've gotten older is that some books are best read at different stages of life, and just because a book is on a reading list somewhere doesn't mean it's enjoyable to read - on the other hand, some books that were on reading lists when I was in college a lifetime ago are a lot better when seen from the perspective of age and experience. Except Hemingway. NO amount of age and experience will ever enable me to enjoy him!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Talking Thanx!!!!

Thanx so much for all of the encouragement everyone! I actually picked up a book at the library called "California Demon" about a demon hunting soccer mom! LOL! Sounds silly, so it might be right up my alley for a lazy Saturday in the hammock tomorrow.

And that's too funny about Hemingway! My little dog's name is Hemingway, since he's one of my daughter's favorite authors. Right now, tho, our little Hemingway is "in the doghouse" and not one of my favorites, either!!

Old 02-09-2008, 06:47 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,948 times
Way to go, Jules!
The advice was so great here,
they each said what I was I was thinking already!
As was said already...Just have fun!
Look for books that will be of an interest to you.
(Looks like you found one already...enjoy!)

Books can inspire you, transport you, make you laugh until you cry,
or genuinely weep with sadness.
They can be a great escape from the mundane,
(fantasy or fiction) or an affirmation to appreciate the mundane,
(once we read of another's plight or struggle).

(Most importantly...
They shouldn't be a chore...now that you have made a choice to read, instead of being told to do so, it will be a joy I am sure you will look forward to each day.
A sweet little pleasure that you cannot wait to get to at the end of the day, or a little get-away from the rest of the world.)

It cracked me up to hear about your bad boy Hemingway..hope he's behaving better today...

(BTW: If you love animals...you might want to read a few books by author James Herriot. He has written many and they are all great)

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books