U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 02:11 PM

239 posts, read 1,214,197 times

Advertisements

Hi tambre,

I missed this week. First week I've missed. Darn it.

I have downloaded it onto my iPod but haven't had a chance to watch it other than the first five minutes or so. "Eckhart has a cold."

How about you? Anything you wish to share?

My original understanding of the 'pain body' was similar to Freud's "id" although a darker and more troublesome id. But in listening to Eckhart and re-reading his books, I've come to understand it differently. His teaching is that our unresolved emotions take on a life of their own, growing in intensity and capacity, to continually wreak havoc on our lives until such time that we face them down in that dark alley of our consciousness and cast the light of awareness on them. At which point, the pain body dissolves. At least that's the gist of what I've gleaned from his books.

I'm going to try to carve out some time this weekend to watch the webcast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 AM

2,503 posts, read 5,748,255 times
Default Pain body

Hi Furyu and everyone,

I like your interpretation of the pain body. I was talking with a woman at work about the pain body, and we are just on the level of identifying it in ourselves and others. It feels like emotional baggage, and can be hard to control...it likes to take over conscious thought. I've been trying to increase my "awareness" of it. It seems to lead to negative thinking, which at least I am now questioning. Trying to create a space between the pain body and consciousness...maybe.

On a more intellectual level, it reminds me of Carl Sagan's view of the limbic system in his book, The Dragons of Eden. The emotional fight/flight/fright system deep in our brains that was helpful in survival during the evolution of our species. It's been years (30 plus) since I read that, so my interpretation is more than a little cloudy.

Last edited by tambre; 04-06-2008 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 PM

187 posts, read 577,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post
Yes, I signed up for it! I was amazed and delighted to discover that Oprah was going to do this book. It's been out for a couple of years. I'd downloaded the audio version of A New Earth last summer and listened to it several times. And then last fall I found hardcover first editions of the book at Barnes & Noble, in the REMAINDER section, for $5 a piece!

I discovered Tolle in the spring of '07; I'd never read The Power of Now when it first became popular back in the ... 90s?. Figured it was just another book on meditation and Buddhism and all that stuff, which I'd practiced for years. But last year a situation came up in my life that plummeted me into despair and it was then I discovered Wayne Dyer and his work with affirmations, and soon thereafter, Eckhart Tolle. Indeed, when the student is ready....

Eckhart blew me away! His words brought me healing and serenity, and set me back on a spiritual path I'd long forsaken. I listened to all of his books over & over again, and bought several all of them for further reading, including A New Earth, which I think is his best.

What people need to understand about Eckhart Tolle is this: he had a sudden awakening, instant enlightenment, if we are to believe his 'story' and I have no reason not to. But because of that, he is very different than most people, than most teachers even. I do not think he should even be compared to Wayne Dyer; they are so different. Dyer is more accessible but his teachings have far less depth. They are good, don't get me wrong, but not equal to Tolle's. Chopra is good too, highly intelligent but he can be quite technical.

Most of us will work for years--perhaps our entire life--to experience just a glimmer of the state-of-mind, the consciousness, that Tolle apparently experiences 24/7. We will sit hours in meditation, go on silent week-long retreats, read and/or listen to every spiritual book we come across, and after all that, our ego will remain in control of our lives 99% of the time.

If you've ever watched Eckhart speak, you see that he is distinctively different from anyone you've seen previously (YouTube has a lot of his 'performances' and Sounds True offers many of his seminars on DVD). He's simply not like "us". The only other teacher I've seen who was remotely like Tolle was J. Krishnamurti, and even then, the comparison is slim. Eckhart dwells in a different state of consciousness/awareness than most of us and that's why it's sometimes--or often!--hard to understand him.

Unlike a lot of spiritual teachers, he doesn't emphasize formal meditation practice, but I think for most of us, certainly for me, that is the only way to approach his teachings if you desire to 'get it.' As he states repeatedly, this is not about intellectually understanding something. It's about being, simply being, here and now. That's why I've gotten so much out of his audio books rather than his written books. If you just sit and listen to him in a meditative state, you're better able to approach his teaching. As many zen masters and other teachers have stated, the practice is simple but it's the hardest thing you'll ever attempt to do.

I'm looking forward to Oprah's series of online classes with Eckhart. It should be very interesting.
I enjoyed your remarks, I just found this forum about this book and I have just started it. I have found it difficult but very rewarding and I am going to get the audio now after reading your remarks. Sorry it took me so long to find it. Thanks

Old 04-17-2008, 02:05 PM

239 posts, read 1,214,197 times
Hi everyone... and welcome Laurbell,

I assume, Laurbell, that you've been following along with the Oprah webcast classes. Most of the people who are interested in A New Earth have found the webcast very informative and interesting.

I've had some 'issues' lately that have taken away much of my spare time so haven't been around 'here' lately. I missed Eckhart this past Monday and although I downloaded the webcast to my iPod, I haven't watched it yet. I'll catch up, probably this weekend.

tambre, I've never even heard of that book you mention by Carl Sagan. Based on what you mentioned, his 'limbic' system does sound similar to Eckart's pain body. There are no doubt many ways of interpreting this 'dark side' of ourselves. Being aware of our behavior is essential to changing it; as Eckhart stated, awareness itself is enough to eventually dissolve certain undesirable behaviors.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:32 AM

135 posts, read 376,634 times
'a new earth' saved me. i was in the right place to recieve it when this book fell into my lap. my failing marriage is now recovered, i'm happy and i have a sense of hope that was nonexistant before. in other words, i recommend it.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 AM

22 posts, read 73,805 times
i've read both books
They're very insightful.
I'd like to start a local San Diego study group, but have had no interest.
Guess everyon'es too busy, These books take time to absorb. it's kinda a daily practice, changing ones mindsets.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:25 PM

43,826 posts, read 42,915,851 times
I'm in the process of rereading ANE. I'm only on chapter 3 of the reread but the material is definitely starting to slowly sink in. I also downloaded all of Oprah's "classes". I agree with some of the other posters that said that they kinda wished Oprah would like Eckhart talk more. Oh well what can you do, Oprah brings more good to the world so I guess you have to put up with her butting in.

I'm at a place in my life where I really need these teaching. My whole life I was walking around in a deep depression/anxiety didn't even really know that it is depression. Just know that I felt like crap inside all of the time. I've been feeling better lately trying to understand the pain body and the Ego. I have a long ways to go yet but I feel like there is hope.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,329,353 times
Chowhoud,Good for you, there is a world of people in your shoes, you are a lucky one to have found a life raft. I bought the audio for my car, beats listening to news/top 40 stuff. You might consider it. Its one of those teachings that everytime you read/hear it, you catch something new. Check out his website and the many links/ Good Luck to you.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl75 View Post
'a new earth' saved me. i was in the right place to recieve it when this book fell into my lap. my failing marriage is now recovered, i'm happy and i have a sense of hope that was nonexistant before. in other words, i recommend it.
I have found that its not what happens to us that is as important as what we do about it. Good luck to you on your journey.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnb33 View Post
i've read both books
They're very insightful.
I'd like to start a local San Diego study group, but have had no interest.
Guess everyon'es too busy, These books take time to absorb. it's kinda a daily practice, changing ones mindsets.
Indeed its a total reconditioning of the way we think and see the world. We have a life time to disassemble. Dont give up, if you really want a study group, it will happen at the right time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or