U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:44 PM

13,510 posts, read 15,421,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
For some reason I thought that was two separate posters. Lol.

But if you can let go of the idea God is a separate being for a moment, and try to be in the present free of any concept of God, then see what happens from there. The whole point of the book is that it's not just another list of principles, code for ideas to follow and internalize. The whole point is to let go of those ideas by being present. Be the observer of your mind and ego and realize that those ideas and emotions are the product of the mind and ego.
I would agree, at least to the extend of saying, if you can let go of God or Dialectical Materialism or any one of a zillion other defining dogmas as something that defines everything else...yes. If the present always overriden by concerns about Zardoz (for example) that idea is a filter, at best, if not a wall. One's present is always to be stuck in Zardoz no matter what is happening.

The "whole point of the book" is absolutely horrifying to many people, and I sometimes I think not least to those who seem to feel compelled to read yet another book and another book....it becomes a big scene of gas-bagging about Tolle's books, which has a lot in common with worrying about God is the Father, Zardoz, etc. etc.

As for "watching," I keep getting this earworm of an old Labelle lyric: "Who's watching the watcher while the watcher's watching you?"

They may have been singing about something else, but I think they bottom line Tolle very well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:39 PM

378 posts, read 799,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I tried to put the concious thought process into action, but sadly my ego is very strong.
That what one of my friend's said as well, she said the book made her look at herself and she didn't like what she saw...
I don't think she ever finished the book...

Quote:
I find it heartwarming that Tolle quotes the Bible and Jesus' teachings.
I love the fact that he quotes from different religious teachings, it truly shows that all religions lead to ONE God and it is people who created the illusion of separation, not God.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post
Eckhart blew me away! His words brought me healing and serenity, and set me back on a spiritual path I'd long forsaken. I listened to all of his books over & over again, and bought several all of them for further reading, including A New Earth, which I think is his best.
Ditto

Quote:
What people need to understand about Eckhart Tolle is this: he had a sudden awakening, instant enlightenment, if we are to believe his 'story' and I have no reason not to. But because of that, he is very different than most people, than most teachers even. I do not think he should even be compared to Wayne Dyer; they are so different. Dyer is more accessible but his teachings have far less depth. They are good, don't get me wrong, but not equal to Tolle's. Chopra is good too, highly intelligent but he can be quite technical.
I absolutely agree. I was done with Dyer, felt like I cannot learn anything new from him.
And then, just in time, discovered Eckhart Tolle.

Quote:
If you've ever watched Eckhart speak, you see that he is distinctively different from anyone you've seen previously (YouTube has a lot of his 'performances' and Sounds True offers many of his seminars on DVD). He's simply not like "us". The only other teacher I've seen who was remotely like Tolle was J. Krishnamurti, and even then, the comparison is slim. Eckhart dwells in a different state of consciousness/awareness than most of us and that's why it's sometimes--or often!--hard to understand him.
Agree again. Our modern lives are so fast-paced, we're not used to someone speaking slowly, some of us even get irritated when people are not speaking or moving fast enough... we forgot how to talk without saying any unnecessary extra words... we forgot how to listen... and really hear what the other person has to say...
So yes, for many Tolle sounds "slow and monotone".
I find his voice soothing and his teachings very deep.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
But as they say: "Oprah can do anything..."
Yes, as Denis Leary said: "Becoming the US President would be a step down for her"

Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle ryan View Post
I read the Power of Now in a day and found i related to it so much, then moved onto A New Earth and finished that yesterday, but find I still struggle with the fact that it denies God as a separate being. Also question the fact the he talks of Jesus so often but ignores the fact that Jesus constantly refers to the "father" as a different entity to himself. I would love to 'get it' as I think it could bring so much peace but it only makes me feel discouraged every time i fail to follow his principles.
Don't focus on things you disagree with, continue reading.
He is not trying to change anybody's beliefs, he just describes things as he sees them.
You don't have to agree with everything to "get" the message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 PM

I have ANE in an audio-book format in my car and I re-listen to it every few months.
I find myself re-listening to certain parts again and again until they really sink in, and every time I listen to the book I rediscover it. I highly recommend it.
Don't give up if it seems difficult to grasp, it gets easier as you go further.
Don't focus on details that don't fit perfectly with your personal beliefs, keep reading, try to see a bigger picture as it will be well worth your effort

Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 967 times
Default I read the book

Quote:
Has anyone read Eckhart Tolle's book "A New Earth"?
Any thoughts?
I was a bit overwhelmed at the beginning of the book, and found myself re-reading some of the pages to be able to "grasp" the meaning. But as I read on, I began to understand, but am still struggling.
Has anyone else had this experience?
I finally found you!! Someone else that has read the book. Well I was not overwhelmed when I read it. I was asking for the answers this book gave me for years. I read the bible and stayed close to God and kept asking.
Then the book came to me It was like a bolt of lightening hit me.
Even though I got my ansewers I am struggling for lack of a better earthly word with staying in the moment and continueing to recognize the EGO. Staying aware of the fact that the EGO is not ME and the thoughts that create emotions are not ME either. Have you reread it yet, I would suggest that you reread it until it starts to open your awareness.
I am glad I found you I hope you will ansewer me I know I am not alone but sometimes my EGO trys to convience that I am.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 PM

43,991 posts, read 43,047,668 times
I've read Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth about 4 times now. Each time I read it I take away something new.

The first time I read it, a lot of it sorta went over my head.

It has changed the way I see things, I still struggle to stay in the moment and be present, I still struggle with Ego, but I think one of the major things I got is that now I "see" these things, before I was so entrenched in Ego, I didn't even know that it was Ego.

LOL, funny how those things work.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 AM

885 posts, read 1,369,075 times
Love Tolle, I have his first video. I didn't know he has a new book, I will check it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or