U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,347,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I will have to give Tolle's books another try. I know it is worthwhile to read, and his concepts have depth. Do love to listen to Wayne Dyer and have most of his CDs and books. Have seen him on tour several times. Don't care for Deepok too much.
How about Neal Walsh ? (Conversations with God)
Gary Zukav? Mariane Williamson? They all have the ''message'',a gentle, easy approach.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 01:48 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,284,982 times
This book (Tolle's) reminds me so much of Gary Zukav's writings. Once I got over the "hurdle" in the first few chapters, I found it easier to read than Zukav's.
I tried to put the concious thought process into action, but sadly my ego is very strong. This whole concept does make perfect sence, though. I find it heartwarming that Tolle quotes the Bible and Jesus' teachings. It's amazing how much wisdom has been at our fingertips for years!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
It's amazing how much wisdom has been at our fingertips for years!
Yes indeed ! And there is a teacher for every student whos ready.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:25 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,572,834 times
Neal Walsh also seems too esoteric. But do like Zukav and love Marianne Williamson, have most of her books/CDs. I also really like Thich Nhat Hahn.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:58 PM

239 posts, read 1,215,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykwak View Post
I love this new book New Earth. I have not read any other books by this author but I find him very enlightening. I have never noticed how much my ego is involved in my every day living. How someone can make my moods change in an instant because the person is striking a cord in my own emotions. It is absolutely fascinating. Is anyone taking the Oprah classes on this book.
Yes, I signed up for it! I was amazed and delighted to discover that Oprah was going to do this book. It's been out for a couple of years. I'd downloaded the audio version of A New Earth last summer and listened to it several times. And then last fall I found hardcover first editions of the book at Barnes & Noble, in the REMAINDER section, for $5 a piece!

I discovered Tolle in the spring of '07; I'd never read The Power of Now when it first became popular back in the ... 90s?. Figured it was just another book on meditation and Buddhism and all that stuff, which I'd practiced for years. But last year a situation came up in my life that plummeted me into despair and it was then I discovered Wayne Dyer and his work with affirmations, and soon thereafter, Eckhart Tolle. Indeed, when the student is ready....

Eckhart blew me away! His words brought me healing and serenity, and set me back on a spiritual path I'd long forsaken. I listened to all of his books over & over again, and bought several all of them for further reading, including A New Earth, which I think is his best.

What people need to understand about Eckhart Tolle is this: he had a sudden awakening, instant enlightenment, if we are to believe his 'story' and I have no reason not to. But because of that, he is very different than most people, than most teachers even. I do not think he should even be compared to Wayne Dyer; they are so different. Dyer is more accessible but his teachings have far less depth. They are good, don't get me wrong, but not equal to Tolle's. Chopra is good too, highly intelligent but he can be quite technical.

Most of us will work for years--perhaps our entire life--to experience just a glimmer of the state-of-mind, the consciousness, that Tolle apparently experiences 24/7. We will sit hours in meditation, go on silent week-long retreats, read and/or listen to every spiritual book we come across, and after all that, our ego will remain in control of our lives 99% of the time.

If you've ever watched Eckhart speak, you see that he is distinctively different from anyone you've seen previously (YouTube has a lot of his 'performances' and Sounds True offers many of his seminars on DVD). He's simply not like "us". The only other teacher I've seen who was remotely like Tolle was J. Krishnamurti, and even then, the comparison is slim. Eckhart dwells in a different state of consciousness/awareness than most of us and that's why it's sometimes--or often!--hard to understand him.

Unlike a lot of spiritual teachers, he doesn't emphasize formal meditation practice, but I think for most of us, certainly for me, that is the only way to approach his teachings if you desire to 'get it.' As he states repeatedly, this is not about intellectually understanding something. It's about being, simply being, here and now. That's why I've gotten so much out of his audio books rather than his written books. If you just sit and listen to him in a meditative state, you're better able to approach his teaching. As many zen masters and other teachers have stated, the practice is simple but it's the hardest thing you'll ever attempt to do.

I'm looking forward to Oprah's series of online classes with Eckhart. It should be very interesting.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,689,546 times
I'm not sure how old, or young, everyone here is, but, do you think as we get older our ego becomes less? I have found that true for myself.

I have Tolle's books on order, as I enjoyed reading Deepak Chopra, and others mentioned here years ago.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:45 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,284,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I'm not sure how old, or young, everyone here is, but, do you think as we get older our ego becomes less? I have found that true for myself.

I have Tolle's books on order, as I enjoyed reading Deepak Chopra, and others mentioned here years ago.
I would imagine that life's trials and tribulations would make one more humble and appreciative as life goes on. I can't imagine a lot of teenagers enjoying Tolle's teachings.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:31 PM

I think something has been happening, a 'quickening' if you will, and people are being jolted to find answers.Seems the last 10-20 years a flood of people are seeking Spiritual answers. "THATS JUST THE WAY IT IS" just doesnt cut it anymore and we are looking behind the scenes for answers. Something awakens within, no one can entice another to read/study these things. I have heard- the God we are seeking is what is within us pushing us to do the seeking.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 PM

791 posts, read 2,758,602 times
I have heard Oprah talk about this book constantly lately.
What is the ego thing about? I am so confused by reading these posts?
Is this book aimed at those seeking spirituality without being religious??

Old 02-23-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I have heard Oprah talk about this book constantly lately.
What is the ego thing about? I am so confused by reading these posts?
Is this book aimed at those seeking spirituality without being religious??
Yes, finding answers without being told you will burn in hell for eternity if you dont follow a certain dogma.There are many books out there now, and many wonderful teachers as well,,,,dont be confused by this thread, just find some authors,books, that 'speak' to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or