U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:30 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,285,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I have heard Oprah talk about this book constantly lately.
What is the ego thing about? I am so confused by reading these posts?
Is this book aimed at those seeking spirituality without being religious??
IMO, Tolle successfully weaves the teachings of many religions into this book to get his point across.
The message that I've gotten, so far (I haven't finished the book yet), is that, if you can get your ego out of the way, you'll be enlightened to another level of conciousness. It is as if you were to pull the curtains away from your present level of "me, I, my ego" to see the reality of just "Being".
It isn't easy to do, and takes stillness and a lot of practice, but if everyone on this earth can practice this, it will be life changing, not only for each individual, but for the entire planet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 PM

239 posts, read 1,215,565 times
The process of "awakening" is like peeling an onion; layer after thin, transparent layer is peeled away as one opens to one's core or essence. What that essence/core is, however, remains undefinable because our lexicon cannot express a state of being that goes beyond ego-identification.

I believe Tolle's message is essentially the same as many other spiritual teachers (as it incorporates many others) and that is, our ego/separate self-identities are fabrications. As the layers peel away one becomes aware of the baselessness of the ego, even as one wrestles with peeling away yet another layer. The ego: a tenacious specter!

As to the question of religion v. spirituality, religion requires a person to accept certain dogmas and to fall into step with the religion's group/church, at least to a certain degree. Spirituality demands nothing more than personal experience. As you seek, so you find.

As a teenager, I sought. I would have loved to have read Tolle at that time in my life, but would I have been able to understand him? Probably not. But I don't think it's so much a matter of age but of maturity, and maybe 'timing'.

And as to the question of ego declining as one ages, I would say it really depends upon the person. I think some people get more immersed in materiality as they age, more attached to their opinions, desires, aversions, etc., while others are more able to let go, and just be.

I agree with Nanannie that there has been, seemingly, a resurgence of interest in spirituality, a quest for answers to bigger questions, in the last decade or two. I've heard it predicted that there will be a sudden evolution of human consciousness. Honestly, I find that hard to believe, knowing people as I do (as we all do, no doubt). Still, if a paradigm shift occurs in our social-political understanding, which could happen, even beginning with this upcoming election, then it is possible that other shifts may occur, leading to a sudden, expansive shift in the consciousness of the world. It's exciting to think that may happen. To go from living in fear of the future and our fellow human, to embracing it with a day-by-positive-day spiritual mentality. No doubt, it's important for each of us to try assist this 'shift'. And I think we are, even just by being here.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM

15,768 posts, read 28,863,166 times
I just ordered the book but doubt I will have time for the classes on Oprah. I look forward to delving into this one.

This definitely surprised me to be an Oprah pick.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,691,838 times
Default Oprah's classes

Are any of you involved in Oprah's online book discussions? and are you planning to participate in the classes she and Eckhart Tolle will be doing, beginning March 3? Not sure exactly how I feel about participating or how well the classes may go. Last I heard, 300,000 had signed-up? Man, talk about an online book club.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:03 PM

Re Eckhart Tolle's New Earth, Oprah said on her show last Monday, that over 300,000 people have signed up for the class. With that many people, I'm wondering if the website can handle the traffic. It's unlikely all 300K will sign on come Monday, but still... Hope the site doesn't crash.

I'm now reading the book for the second time and I've listened to his audio book a couple of times too.

I'll be one of many people logging into the site this Monday at 6 p.m. (PDT). I'm not sure what to expect exactly either. Should be interesting though.

This is the first time I've ever participated in anything Oprah, other than watching her show infrequently.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:34 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,285,973 times
Eventually we will all be watching, and choosing what we want to watch, over the internet. So, instead of watching a screen, that is a television hanging on your wall, it will actually be a large computer screen.
This is Oprah looking into the future, IMO.
I signed up for the online class as well, but am concerned about the sheer volume of people signing on at the same time.
But as they say: "Oprah can do anything..."

Old 03-01-2008, 05:41 PM

1,464 posts, read 942,415 times
Although I did post earlier about having read this book...
I wanted to pass on one of the many lines in the book that I appreciated.

"Acknowledging the good that is already in your life is the foundation for all abdundance." ~Eckhart Tolle

Old 03-01-2008, 09:16 PM

Default 90 minutes? is she kidding?

Out of curiosity, more than anything else, I signed up. Never have done anything "Oprah" before, either, furyu, but wanted to see what all the hype was. That, and I am so technology-challenged until I thought this might be a neat way to learn how to do something new and/or different.

Oh, LOL!, but just installing the player was challenging for me. Hubby, darling that he is, had to do it for me, and that was with me on the phone to a computer-savvy neighbor, asking, "where's __?__," and "how do I __?__."

300,000+ people is staggering, no? And when I looked at the site sometime today, I think I read to plan on class being 90 minutes? For 10 weeks? Wish there were some sort of credit tied to this, other than the benefit of having read the work and participating.

You reckon this is going to work?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:31 PM

I read yesterday somewhere that now 500,000 people have signed up for Oprah/Eckhart's class! Hard to imagine.

RDSLOTS, the classes are going to be 90 minutes long, really? I did not see that on the website. I can't imagine it going that long but maybe because of the number of people signed up... ? I have no idea, and again, it's going to be interesting.

I have a friend who was worried about attending this class. She wasn't sure she could hold her own. I had to laugh, kindly of course. I told her, it's not like anyone is going to call on you ... for an answer or idea ... that you may not have. I mean, I'm sure any (possible) participation is voluntary and with so many people attending, it'll probably be quite hard to be 'called on' to speak, I would think. But again, I don't know. I'm curious as to what the format will be.

Yes, RDSLOTS, I reckon this will work. Oprah seldom fails. Eckhart--never.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM

Oh, my! 500,000! Now I'm intimidated.

I admit I am curious to see how this goes. I've read the first chapter, answered a few of the questions in the workbook, highlighted some interesting quotes, but still . . . I'm not sure about this.

However, I am always one to say, "I'll do anything once."

There is a local group where I am that plans to get together at a Borders book store to discuss the book. Hubby says he'd go to the first one with me, if I wanted to, but after reading the first 50 pages of A New Earth, he says he thinks Tolle's style, or 'soft voice' is not for him.

Interesting concepts here. I think I have always known these things Tolle talks about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or