Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post

For those of you interested in seeing more of Eckhart Tolle, this weekend, Friday March 7th and Saturday March 8th, he will be appearing in person at the Marin Civic Center in San Rafael, CA.

This will just be Eckhart Tolle speaking, alone on stage, without Oprah. I like Oprah but I think she talked waaaay too much last night.
OH you are so spot on...Oprah has done so much for the world but PLEASE< Let this awakened soul (eckhart) speak--Oprahs ego= ummmmmm ok I wont judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 05:31 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,368 times
Default Streaming Difficulties

Hi Everyone,

I am in NY and was so excited about the Webcast, as you all were. I had my worksheet filled out and ready, and then got the black screen, with intermittent seconds of Oprah, or Eckhart talking, then the black screen again. Finally gave up.

I watched it yesterday on the free download, or what ever it's called, and really liked the dialogue with the viewers and the references back to passages in the book. It definitely helped me to understand the concepts. I thought that the one guy who was on a phone call seemed who was talking about how he got a group together, was really just in in for his own personal agrandisement..i.e., the ego was talking. Like he was ready to be a disciple of Eckhart's word, and spread his message, but not to help enlighten people. Did anyone else sense that?

I liked that Eckhart brought it back to a personal experience of being in the present, sensing the formless, connecting to one's inner consciousness.
Well, have a great "now" everyone!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:59 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am in NY and was so excited about the Webcast, as you all were. I had my worksheet filled out and ready, and then got the black screen, with intermittent seconds of Oprah, or Eckhart talking, then the black screen again. Finally gave up.
So many of us experienced that. Hopefully, next Monday evening things will run smoother, but I don't think we should count on that, frankly. We'll be hopeful, but not so expectant as to be disappointed again. And, unless you're interested in trying to have a 'live' conversation with them, I suppose it doesn't matter when you watch it.

Quote:
... I thought that the one guy who was on a phone call seemed who was talking about how he got a group together, was really just in in for his own personal agrandisement..i.e., the ego was talking. Like he was ready to be a disciple of Eckhart's word, and spread his message, but not to help enlighten people. Did anyone else sense that?
He did seem to be wanting to talk about himself a lot. He and Oprah made a good pair. The Borders' guy was the best, I thought.

Quote:
I liked that Eckhart brought it back to a personal experience of being in the present, sensing the formless, connecting to one's inner consciousness.
Yes... he's very consistent with that. I loved watching Oprah interrupting him. I swear, I'm not even certain I'll be able to watch this series if Oprah continues behaving that way.

Quote:
Well, have a great "now" everyone!
Too funny! You too!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:19 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post

Yes... he's very consistent with that. I loved watching Oprah interrupting him. I swear, I'm not even certain I'll be able to watch this series if Oprah continues behaving that way.

!
I can see how constant interruption by Oprah can disrupt "the flow" of the class. But she is a talk show host, and I'm sure it's part of her reflex system to need to "control" the class. Maybe the on-line class isn't the best way in which to get Tolle's ideas across. Oprah seems to represent exactly that which we are supposed to silence (the ego).
I can imagine that it must be tough to find the right balance during the class, but I'm sure she's got the right intentions.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:29 AM

I looked on her site (messageboards) after the class at it was flooded with requests,rants,pleads for her to 'reel it in' and let Eckhart speak more.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:04 PM

I didn't think her 'fans' would dare tell her to reel it in. I guess it annoyed many people who tuned in to hear Eckhart speak, not Oprah. That's got to be a blow to her ego. Quite apropos, actually.

But, I absolutely agree with you, stmaarten, that this is Oprah's style and she has only the best intentions here. She's sincerely enthusiastic about his work and its potential for transformation on both an individual and, potentially, global levels. She has done a great service, bringing this book and Tolle's message to the attention of millions of people who might not otherwise have heard about it/him.

Last night at the Marin Civic Center, the person who introduced Eckhart mentioned that A New Earth had sold about 200,000 copies prior to Oprah selecting it as her next book club selection. Since then, I forget the exact figure, but it was in the multi-millions of new copies sold. In just about a month's time!

She's very influential... for good reasons, no doubt. So, I may fault her for talking too much in this particular situation but I respect and admire her overall.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:55 AM

Did you enjoy the experience last nite furyu ? Was the crowd huge ?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:06 PM

nanannie, I watched Eckhart at the Marin CCC via the Sounds True webcast. I had considered either flying or driving down to Marin County to see him in person but I wasn't able to work it out. But yes, I really enjoyed watching him. He's quite funny. Even when he doesn't mean to be! But there is just something about him that is so... I don't know: empowering, I guess, says it best.

My understanding is that the two day performance sold out. Plus it was stated that over one million people around the globe signed up for the webcast. So, yes -- crowded. But a well-behaved crowd.

Tonight, Oprah's going to give her 'class' another try.

Hope you (and everyone) enjoy it.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:37 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,722 times
How was Oprah's second class? I had a meeting and couldn't join in. Since missing the first and second class, I already feel as though I'm so far behind...
Would love to find out how the second class was.
TIA

Old 03-11-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
How was Oprah's second class? I had a meeting and couldn't join in. Since missing the first and second class, I already feel as though I'm so far behind...
Would love to find out how the second class was.
TIA
No, not behind at all. You can catch both the first and second class for free on Oprah.com. I watched the whole thing without the break ups and frustrating freeze frames of last time so they obviously fixed and improved the webcast. I also think she kept her ego reeled in a bit more and just guided the show along,,she did at times feel the need to use a different word or two and rephrase things for Eckhart which certainly is not necessary, but thats my only meeger complaint, and she kept the questions moving quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books