Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:06 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,389 times

Advertisements

Everything went quite smoothly last night. No glitches!

Oprah is funny... isn't she? You're right, nanannie, she 'rephrased' so much of what Eckhart said, but I think it was her way of 'digesting' it or was a way for her to process it. Possibly.

And Eckhart is the epitome of patience. It amazes me the sense of peace, or rather, stillness, and joy that oozes from that guy. I want that in MY being!

stmaarten, do check out Oprah's website for the webcasts. It doesn't matter if you don't participate 'live' on Mondays. You can catch up or just watch it at your own pace.

iTunes also offers the webcasts under their 'podcast' section, so if you have iTunes on your computer, you can download it automatically every week. I then transfer it over to my iPod and watch it (or rewatch it) when I have a few moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 09:15 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Any reactions to tonight's class?

Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Any reactions to tonight's class?
Hi Stmaarten,

I was able to tune into the webcast for the first time. I am still skeptical, and sometimes it seems like Eckhart is describing a disassociative disorder..., (but I have to do some research on psychology sites to find out exactly what a disassociative disorder is.) Sort of escaping from reality, from the body, from the mind, into the great consciousness of "one". The whole ego defensive stance makes sense, along with the criticizing others to help bolster our own ego. But, a splitting away from one's mind/ego to find peace? Escapism? Not sure, it makes sense one minute, and then I've lost it the next. How do you feel about it? Is this new consciousness helping you at all? Tambre

Okay, what I was thinking is:
Depersonalization disorder:
Feelings of detachment or estrangement from one’s self are signs of depersonalization. Although these feelings are difficult to describe, individuals with this disorder will report feeling as if they are living in a dream or watching themselves on a movie screen. They feel separated from themselves or outside their own bodies. People with this disorder feel like they are "going crazy" and they frequently become anxious and depressed.

Last edited by tambre; 03-18-2008 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: new information

Old 03-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi Stmaarten,

I was able to tune into the webcast for the first time. I am still skeptical, and sometimes it seems like Eckhart is describing a disassociative disorder..., (but I have to do some research on psychology sites to find out exactly what a disassociative disorder is.) Sort of escaping from reality, from the body, from the mind, into the great consciousness of "one". The whole ego defensive stance makes sense, along with the criticizing others to help bolster our own ego. But, a splitting away from one's mind/ego to find peace? Escapism? Not sure, it makes sense one minute, and then I've lost it the next. How do you feel about it? Is this new consciousness helping you at all? Tambre

Okay, what I was thinking is:
Depersonalization disorder:
Feelings of detachment or estrangement from one’s self are signs of depersonalization. Although these feelings are difficult to describe, individuals with this disorder will report feeling as if they are living in a dream or watching themselves on a movie screen. They feel separated from themselves or outside their own bodies. People with this disorder feel like they are "going crazy" and they frequently become anxious and depressed.
I know what you're getting at.... I've had episodes of some type of "depersonalization", or "feeling out of body", which usually happened when I was extremely tired and feeling "sorry for myself" or overwhelmed. This used to propel me into mild to moderate panic attacks, but since reading Tolle's book, the practice of staying in the "NOW" has helped A LOT.

I'm not sure if Tolle is suggesting that anyone move away from the "self" (for lack of a better word), but rather the all-encompassing "I, ME, or the EGO". Does that make any sense?

Maybe someone else can elaborate?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:27 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I really dont want to elaborate, but will say that people 'know' when this is a teaching thats resonates with them and helps answer alot of life questions.It lights a fire and you must go further.It is also a very personal journey within, I find it hard to speak of it to others who are not familiar or set in their own firm beliefs/dogmas/my way is the only way . I would never argue about this or try to convince someone to listen to Eckhart and look into his teachings/books, or any of the Ancient Wisdoms. There are hundreds of teachers, teaching basically the same thing in different ways. Answers to Lifes Big Questions. Many pathways to the same destination. I watched last nite, thought Oprah kept things moving along, more questions answered, though I question the necessity of the Sky cams,( I guess its kind of unique.) I am glad they are starting to do the moments of silence in the begining. Its like a huge Universal prayer.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I know what you're getting at.... I've had episodes of some type of "depersonalization", or "feeling out of body", which usually happened when I was extremely tired and feeling "sorry for myself" or overwhelmed. This used to propel me into mild to moderate panic attacks, but since reading Tolle's book, the practice of staying in the "NOW" has helped A LOT.

I'm not sure if Tolle is suggesting that anyone move away from the "self" (for lack of a better word), but rather the all-encompassing "I, ME, or the EGO". Does that make any sense?

Yes, I would agree with this Only I would use the little i and me.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Yes, I would agree with this Only I would use the little i and me.
I was using capital letters for emphasis, not order of importance.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Hi Stmaarten and everyone,

I am trying to understand it better, so I appreciate your explanation. So it's not an escape, but more of a being of who you really are, without the shell of the "I, ME, EGO". It's what Oprah speaks alot of on her show, about living an authentic life. It's kind of like peeling away the facade, and finding the core. A core that is not conditioned on the material world, but on pure consciousness, or presence in the "now".

I have a very hard time trying to not dwell on the past, and be in the present. Also, I spend alot of time in a daydream type of existence, going through the motions, always wishing I was somewhere else....so this concept rings true. I'd love to hear everyone's ideas on how the concepts are helping them. I met a woman at work who is reading the book, so we will be talking, which I'm really looking forward to.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:02 PM

It does take time and ALOT of practice and probably more then one book, but its an excellent start. I usually read a book like this more then once. Have you read his "Living in the Now" ? It was not a quick process for me. Like a 'dimmer switch" slowly lighting up a room. It begins to feel like one has been hypnotized and are now begining a waking up process. Life begins to take on a different meaning, and everything does have purpose You realize you are far more in control of your reality then you ever realized. Not to say you dont still loose your temper or forget what you have learned, you do get 'sucked back' to old ways, but it happens less and less. So many books, teachers, groups are out there to help.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 PM

Hi Nanannie,

"It was not a quick process for me. Like a 'dimmer switch" slowly lighting up a room. It begins to feel like one has been hypnotized and are now begining a waking up process. Life begins to take on a different meaning, and everything does have purpose You realize you are far more in control of your reality then you ever realized."

That is just amazing...hopefully I can get there some day.

Tambre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books