U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:34 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,347,043 times

Advertisements

Yes, Seth and "The Nature of Personal Reality" was one of those books that I read more times then I can count. Krishnamurti resonated deeply as well. I just watched a documentary of Ram Das about his recovery and current life after his stroke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,754,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I was raised by nuns,tambre, a very Irish Catholic family. I knew there was something 'behind the scenes' in life, and those nuns and their dogmas left much un answered to me. As a child I imagined God like Walt Disney at Disneyland. You see and do all these adventures with characters and scarey rides and fun rides, but there is something brilliant behind it all running the show. Actually I was searching my whole life because I had planned to enter the Convent to be a nun. I dabbled in many things, Theosophy, Occult, Course in Miracles, were starters.Yes, "something' was awaken in me, and my mind/soul hungered for this knowledge, the answers to what is really going on. I could not see life as "thats just how it is", I needed, I demanded answers. Something took over, I was never the same. I eventually ,by miraculous means that I wont go into, found a book by JOEL GOLDSMITH, a one time head reader of the mother church of Christian Science who left CS, holding much respect for it, but fitting in missing peaces that resulted in his having a huge foloowing and this very modest man became a miraculous healer. Reading his books and listening to his tapes, attending a few 'classes' with like minded seekers and it all became clearer for me. The INFINTE WAY , and all Joels other books spoke to me.Not for everyone, but that was a teacher that really spoke to me. Eckhart is more of a teaching of Truths for the masses, wonderful read for me and very clear, but nothing I dont already know. Besides, filling my Consciousness with the likes of Eckhart ,Joel, Wayne Dyer, Depok Chopra, etcetcetc keeps me where I should be and my mind in Peace. Its up to me what I choose to dwell on and hold my attention on. The results are obvious to me. However, Life isnt perfect, I am far from perfect, but when I live and see life thru the eyes of Truth, life and its scarey rides make alot more sense.
Hi Nannannie,

It sounds like you were born with an innate desire to know the truth. My husband was also raised in the catholic church, went to parochial schools, and has denounced his religion, to some extent. He is not open or curious about new ideas, however. What did you think of Part 4 of the show? Any insights? The whole idea of there being a structure to the way the mind operates rings true...habitual ego-based thinking patterns. Boy am I ever stuck in that! As they say, the truth will set you free.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
During the past 40 years I've read many books written by the likes of Krisnamurti, Yogananda, Trungpa Rinpoche, Alan Watts, Charan Singh, Ram Dass, the channelled teachings of Abraham, Seth, & Elias, etc, so the material that Tolle addresses is old hat. Yet, he brings a freshness to the whole thing, that is leading to deeper insights for me even as I've read only the first 70 pages of A New Earth. There's something about the guy that really resonates at this time in my life. I'm getting a deeper grasp of what makes the TAT technique so effective, which has enabled me to clear resistance from increasingly deeper levels of my being. I'm also making alot of connections with another book that I'm reading called The Vibrational Universe. I'm continually amazed how all of these teachings have so much in common and how they dovetail so nicely.
Wow, you are very well read on the topic. What is the TAT technique?

Old 03-25-2008, 04:06 PM

7,778 posts, read 17,463,315 times
tambre wrote: Wow, you are very well read on the topic. What is the TAT technique?

Click on the link I provided and download the FREE manual, then do the technique as described. TAT is one of those things that need to be experienced to understand it.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
tambre wrote: Wow, you are very well read on the topic. What is the TAT technique?

Click on the link I provided and download the FREE manual, then do the technique as described. TAT is one of those things that need to be experienced to understand it.
Thanks N.A.R.,

I printed it out, and may try it someday, but first I want to get through the web cast/book review of A New Earth. It sounds like you have had success with it. I hope you have found some peace, if that's what you needed.

Tambre

Old 03-27-2008, 12:29 PM

239 posts, read 1,215,304 times
Hi everyone,

I really enjoyed last Monday's 'class' and thought the discussion was quite engaging and lively. I even burst out laughing a couple of times, some of the things that Oprah said. The remark that you COULD be going into the woods to plan, I found especially funny. I totally understood where she was coming from with that remark, but it was so funny just the same.

nanannie, I've read a few of the works of Krishnamurti too. He was another teacher who definitely had 'it.' A friend of mine went to see him numerous times, and is more knowledgeable of his teachings than I am. We were discussing the similarities and differences between he and Eckhart Tolle recently. Prior to this discussion, I'd pretty much thought they were very much philosophically aligned, but she pointed out numerous differences. However, most of those differences were semantical rather than intrinsic, I contend. We're still debating this!

Joel Goldsmith is someone I've heard about for decades now but have never read one of his books. Thanks for the brief bio of him. I'm definitely going to get one of his books, probably Infinite Way, given your recommendation, and discover him for myself. I had no idea he came from the CS tradition.

Ernest Holmes, and his Science of Mind, is a favorite of mine. He founded Religious Science, which my father used to proclaim a 'rip-off' of Christian Science! I like the way Holmes coalesced many religions into one, albeit, an open-ended one. I've subscribed to the monthly journal, Science of Mind, for twenty years now, yet still discover new thought and new ideas in it regularly.

Many of the teachers you speak about, NewAgeRedneck, are ones I am familiar with too, although I doubt as thoroughly as you are. Years ago, I read through two of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche's books and found them extremely dense and hard to follow. This was after I saw him speak at Hunter College in NYC. He was really entertaining, funny, wise, and surprisingly "western' in appearance and demeanor! But his written books left me wondering... what the heck is he talking about? Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism was especially difficult, although I did eventually understand the premise. Much of my confusion may have been age related, I was quite young at that time. However, I've always found that particular branch of eastern thought, Tibetan (vajrayana) Buddhism, more difficult than other branches. Pema Chodron who was one of Trunpa's students and is now an ordained nun in that tradition, is someone I find more accessible; she has some wonderful teachings on meditation as well as dealing with various aspects/problems of living.

I like what you said about Eckhart 'resonating' with you at this particular time in your life, even though, as you said, much of his teaching is a recycling of the same ol' same ol'. I find that very true for myself: Certain teachers, at specific times, lead you in the direction you need to go. Years later, you can return to those teachers and their teachings, and find them less potent or sometimes even stale. Everything/everyone in its own time, I suppose.

I still have the Seth books that I read as a teenager; they are now yellowed with age and falling apart. I was blown away by the Yoganada's Autobiography of a Yogi when I first read it. There were so many mysteries and even what seemed like magic detailed in that, and the Seth books, and I was wondering how I myself might experience these mystical, magical states of consciousness. After reading Yoganada's Autobiography, I further investigate his Kriya Yoga tradition and learned about its other followers, including Babaji who (SUPPOSEDLY!) is alive and well and walking the earth to this very day, even though he was born sometime in the third century, A.D.

It didn't take me too long to understand that these traditions and practices were way out of my league, and my cultural experiences and temperament. Ram Dass was a good bridge between those 'extreme' teachings and practices and the gentler, more down-to-earth practices I would later take up.

I think what all these teachings prove though is this: whatever you put your mind to, eventually you will experience. Eckhart's teaching is essentially that too, only he's saying keep your mind, or awareness rather, focused on what is present right now rather than attempting to conjure stuff up, be that magical stuff or just plain ol' ego-driven stuff.

You gotta admit though, that magical stuff sure is fun!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:03 PM

furyu

Even though I've been attracted to these teachings for 40 plus years, read many books by many different authors, spent thousands of hrs meditating...in a way, I feel like I KNOW ( I mean really knowing ) no more than I did 40 years ago, that I SHOULD be so much more advanced, that I've read & practiced so much, yet I've changed and grown so little. I keep telling myself, even though I'm caught in the maya of dissatisfaction, all-is-well in the heart of my being...and I'm OK!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:28 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,347,043 times
To students who said to Joel Goldsmith, " I have been studying for years and I still dont feel spiritual" he told them "And you never will".

Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 PM

nanannie wrote:
To students who said to Joel Goldsmith, " I have been studying for years and I still dont feel spiritual" he told them "And you never will".
That sums up my experience to a T!

Old 03-28-2008, 05:17 PM

Default A little spiritual fulfillment

Hi everyone,

You are all extremely impressive, with your interesting educated tales of spiritual searching. By the way, I am having a vodka/tonic, so "things in the mirror may appear closer than they really are"...lol. I guess that I want to discuss the underlying reason that I always am searching for the "truth". It is the empty spot...you know, the disconnect from the rest of the human race. Does anyone share that? On the one hand, I really want to have friends and be part of a group, and on the other hand, it it so problematic, and people usually are disappointing, that I don't want to be part of a group. There lies the rub. I think perhaps the spiritual searching is to fulfill that disconnect to a certain extent. Any insights?

P.S. I do think that the only way to fill the empty spot is from within, but in a spiritual sense. Yet, the angst is, I need something to believe in.

Yur buddy,
Tambre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or