U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:34 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,340,588 times

Advertisements

I read " That part within you that nudges you to find God -IS God" And also, "when the student is ready, the teacher appears". One gets the desire to KNOW, when its time. Its your time kid
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,340,588 times
We are in this world to experience many things, and many people. We can never be really fulfilled by the 'outside' , how often we read of those people who have it all, fame, beauty,wealth,health and still become drug addicts or suicidal. That void remains no matter what on the outside we fill it with. Answers,Truth,Fulfillment-its within, which sounds nuts to some people, but we cant become whole by someone/something else. We ourselves become whole by a change in our own Consciousness and everything else (relationships,money,job) is simply an added thing. We learn to be 'in this world,but not of it'. You will be like a candle in a cave to those who seek also, and as Burroughs said,'' Like a river finds its way to the sea, so my own will find a way to me". ps. Hey, a gin and tonic sounds good !

Old 03-28-2008, 08:28 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,752,422 times
Hi Nanannie,

You do understand. That means alot! Thanks for sharing the flame.

Last edited by tambre; 03-28-2008 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: spelling, oops.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:47 AM

7,778 posts, read 17,455,159 times
tambre wrote:
It is the empty spot...you know, the disconnect from the rest of the human race. Does anyone share that? On the one hand, I really want to have friends and be part of a group, and on the other hand, it it so problematic, and people usually are disappointing, that I don't want to be part of a group. There lies the rub. I think perhaps the spiritual searching is to fulfill that disconnect to a certain extent. Any insights?
I am strongly inclined to concur with nanannie, that fulfillment is an inside job. I notice that when I'm in a good space, it's becasue I'm focusing on something that generates a good feeling, and when I'm in a crummy space it's becasue I'm focusing on something that generates a crummy feeling.

One way you might play with your feeling of disconnect is to shift your focus away from that. Instead, focus on the times in your life when you felt really connected ( I'm sure you've experienced times like that ), and really appreciate those experiences. Allow the feeling of being connected to become your predominate focus by going back to it again and again. Anytime you catch yourself running your disconnect program, gently shift your focus back to connectedness. You might say sometime similar to this, Even though I'm running my disconnect program again, on a deeper level, I am strongly connected to every living being, and I choose to focus on being connected. If you don't believe the words when you say them, be willing to believe them and just play with the idea.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:36 AM

7,778 posts, read 17,455,159 times
tambre

After writing the post above, I watched this video and immediately thought that you might enjoy watching it to. The speaker shares an incredible experience regarding her connection to the world. It's about 18 minutes long, so give yourself enough time to enjoy the whole thing.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 AM

Default Empty Spot - Get the Backhoe!

Hi NewAgeRedneck,

I like your idea of dwelling on the positive times when I felt more like I belonged. I'll definitely give that a try. It's not that I always feel so separate, but it is an underlying theme. Maybe at the bottom of a cycle of positive/negative thinking. Also, to me it seems that the "empty spot" can only be filled with love, and divine love, at that. When interpreting Eckhardts message about "beingness and living in the now", I also sense, that he is suggesting a connectness to the universe, god, or whatever one would like to call it, perhaps, the infinite. Hoping to be able to experience that, and find peace there. Sending love your way.

Tambre

Old 03-29-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
tambre

After writing the post above, I watched this video and immediately thought that you might enjoy watching it to. The speaker shares an incredible experience regarding her connection to the world. It's about 18 minutes long, so give yourself enough time to enjoy the whole thing.
Unbelievably powerful video, and could be exactly the underlying cause of the disconnect and the feeling of belongingness. Very moving and touching.
Thank you for sharing it.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:16 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,283,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post

So, possibly for some of us, a non-mainstream religious background has opened us up to this journey. What has been the source/background for you, Nanannie, and St. Maarten and others, to be on this search? Do you think it is just something within some, and not within others? The idea of harmonic vibration, but on a thought level? A sort of Close Encounters of the spiritual kind? lol. Tambre (too much caffeine, sorry)
Tambre,
I grew up with a father who claimed :"There is no God, it's all Science." (Whatever that means.) And a mother who tried to instill some type of spirituality in me, by going to Lutheran churches every once in a while. We moved around the globe a lot, so there wasn't much consistency.
Later, after I met my husband, whose family is devoutly Roman Catholic, I felt "comfortable" in the traditions and the "routine" of going to church. It felt very stable and comforting to me. I converted to Catholicism, because I felt it important to give my children a sense of connectedness to God. But I've also always known that there was more to the church's teachings and how we are all connected. There was always a longing to find more, understand more.
Then one day, during Yoga class, I heard the chants of Krishna Das and Deva Premal and I had this strange "AHA!" moment. I still can't quite discribe it, but it was definitely a feeling that there is still so much more to learn (outside of going to church).
Finding Eckhart Tolle's book was a huge step in the right direction, IMO.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Tambre,
I grew up with a father who claimed :"There is no God, it's all Science." (Whatever that means.) And a mother who tried to instill some type of spirituality in me, by going to Lutheran churches every once in a while. We moved around the globe a lot, so there wasn't much consistency.
Later, after I met my husband, whose family is devoutly Roman Catholic, I felt "comfortable" in the traditions and the "routine" of going to church. It felt very stable and comforting to me. I converted to Catholicism, because I felt it important to give my children a sense of connectedness to God. But I've also always known that there was more to the church's teachings and how we are all connected. There was always a longing to find more, understand more.
Then one day, during Yoga class, I heard the chants of Krishna Das and Deva Premal and I had this strange "AHA!" moment. I still can't quite discribe it, but it was definitely a feeling that there is still so much more to learn (outside of going to church).
Finding Eckhart Tolle's book was a huge step in the right direction, IMO.
Hi Stmaarten,
In your situation, it sounds like you were in the right frame of mind, and open to new spiritual ideas when you had your AHA moment. We are all still learning, and Eckhart's message seems like one the world need to hear to help develop a global peace consciousness, as well as a personal one.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Default Chapter 5

Hi everyone,

Did you watch the latest Oprah webcast session on the pain body? Any insights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or