Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,239 times

Advertisements

I read the Power of Now in a day and found i related to it so much, then moved onto A New Earth and finished that yesterday, but find I still struggle with the fact that it denies God as a seperate being. Also question the fact the he talks of Jesus so often but ignores the fact that Jesus constantly refers to the "father" as a different entity to himself. I would love to 'get it' as I think it could bring so much peace but it only makes me feel discouraged every time i fail to follow his principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 05:19 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Has anyone read Eckhart Tolle's book "A New Earth"?
Any thoughts?
I was a bit overwhelmed at the beginning of the book, and found myself re-reading some of the pages to be able to "grasp" the meaning. But as I read on, I began to understand, but am still struggling.
Has anyone else had this experience?
As someone who is very long in the tooth, I'd like to make a suggestion. It was something that I stumbled upon after chasing after things for years.

Don't assume that more of the same is going to lead you to some breakthrough. (Not that you have suggested that.) What I mean is that some of us chase after "getting it" running from book to book, as if more of the same would finally overwhelm us. It did not for me, at least.

I would suggest that you hold onto this one book, mark it up (and not just for the pretty phrases you may come across, but the prickly stuff) and come back to it from time to time just to get a poke from it. Give his thoughts a chance, give yourself a chance. Sometimes running after something becomes, in fact, more like running away from something. Yes, he has other books, but hang in with this one.

You can get the equivalent of "punch drunk" reading book after book or guru-chasing. Let this one percolate. The struggling is good, I would suggest. Don't resist not "getting it." Keep the book like a friend for awhile, come back to it.

P.S. I have not read this particular book. I have read Tolle's The Power of Now, and I did my usual: yeah, yeah, yeah - great, and started to move on to another book (of his). And then I thought to myself that I was nuts, that I was acting as it the next book...like all the other next books I'd read, was going to do it - whatever it was.

So, I tossed out the next book I had bought, and stuck with The Power of Now. Sticking with it, and staying with my own not getting it was a turning point for me. That was years ago, and my copy is pretty tired by now. And, yes, I have read other books since then, but I knew when I was ready to, and I had learned at last not to treat them like potato chips.

I'm sure you will do well with the book, in your own time and way if you hang around with it for some indefinite time.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,971 times
Default Start where you are

What do these sayings mean to you?

Stop & smell the roses

Wake up and smell the coffee

Live like there's no tomorrow

I'm not myself today

Life gives you lemons made lemonade

Never say never

Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
yes, a book like this takes more then one reading, but it is life changing if you are ready for such teachings. A little 'easier' read might be along the lines of Depok Chopra or Wayne Dyer. I think Eckharts delivery in audio is like his demeaner in person , very monotone. Or I would suggest his earlier book- "The Power of Now''. Might be clearer for a first time Tolle read.

I was recommended this book two days ago. Actually, my Soulmates Brother bought this book for her two days ago. She was tired after a bothersome visit from her Mother and Daughter... phony as phony can be, those two are. Anyway, while she was sleeping I picked up this book and COULD NOT put it down. I finished it in about 5 hrs. I have already incorporated a great deal of this book into my life, through many different life experiences. However, between pages 48 and 160 I actually learned a few new and great things. I so very much look forward to reading 'A New Earth' very soon. Please read 'The Power of Now'. Hopefully more and more of us can grasp these teachings. And soon.

Last edited by shroombeanie; 08-10-2010 at 12:54 AM..

Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
This sounds so up my alley. Thanks for posting this thread! I found a PDF version online but does anyone know of a text-only version? I can read the PDF but it's once straight through, there's no going back to re-read unless I start against from page 1 all over again. I don't know if this was posted already, but for anyone who's interested in a free online PDF version, here it is:

Eckhart Tolle - A New Earth.pdf - 4shared.com - document sharing - download

Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,820 times
Brand new here and not sure how to post but here I go: Having only a couple of more pages to read and being I'm back in State Court for jury duty tomorrow I'm sure I'll finish it. Best book I've read that had prompted me to underline (most of the book) and have taken notes to further understand if I find someone else who has read this great book. So now I find this sight and don't know where to start other than I've been given a 'green light' to lighten up my load of worrying about every thing and living in the past and frightened of the future, and instead accept the feelings as they are yet, after reading most of the book, and deal with each emotion situation as they arise. Makes life much more adveturous. Don't you agree? Thank you for your opinion.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:41 AM

I figured out how to get my screen reader to read it page by page instead of the whole way through. That said -- this book is so eye-opening! It's just... wow. There are no words. Just wow!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle ryan View Post
I read the Power of Now in a day and found i related to it so much, then moved onto A New Earth and finished that yesterday, but find I still struggle with the fact that it denies God as a seperate being. Also question the fact the he talks of Jesus so often but ignores the fact that Jesus constantly refers to the "father" as a different entity to himself. I would love to 'get it' as I think it could bring so much peace but it only makes me feel discouraged every time i fail to follow his principles.
Instead of trying to follow each principle, why don't you just start with being present? Just be present and see what ensues.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Instead of trying to follow each principle, why don't you just start with being present? Just be present and see what ensues.
How? The person you quoted wrote:"...the fact that it denies God as a seperate being."

Their present is inside the cast-in-concrete prison of an idea. This make the present a prisoner.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
How? The person you quoted wrote:"...the fact that it denies God as a seperate being."

Their present is inside the cast-in-concrete prison of an idea. This make the present a prisoner.
For some reason I thought that was two separate posters. Lol.

But if you can let go of the idea God is a separate being for a moment, and try to be in the present free of any concept of God, then see what happens from there. The whole point of the book is that it's not just another list of principles, code for ideas to follow and internalize. The whole point is to let go of those ideas by being present. Be the observer of your mind and ego and realize that those ideas and emotions are the product of the mind and ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books