Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times

Advertisements

My favorite author to this day is Tom Clancy. He passed away several years, may he RIP.

However, there are still books released with him name, and actually written by others, especially by Michael Greaney and Scott Telep including most recently Command Authority, Locked On, Against All Enemies, Commander in Chief, and Under Fire. Most of these ARE pretty decent and the plotting is similar to old Clancy though the writing style is clearly different. I think the last book Tom Clancy wrote himself was The Teeth of the Tiger.

I'm wondering what's going on, if these other authors had agreements with Clancy to continue writing stories featuring his characters like Jack Ryan, John Clark and Domingo Chavez. These books are also being published at a fast rate compared to Clancy's old novels. However even though they're good exciting reads, its still not quite Tom Clancy.

My second favorite author Vince Flynn also passed away. Now my two favorite authors still alive are Clive Cussler (who also uses co-authors in all his releases now too) and Alex Berenson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm wondering what's going on.
"Tom Clancy" is actually Classical Latin for "Cash Cow," and his publisher knows it.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:27 AM

128 posts, read 102,048 times
Because "Tom Clancy" is a brand and if they are using his created worlds then fair enough they attribute him. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Here dat milkin' sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
My favorite author to this day is Tom Clancy. He passed away several years, may he RIP.

However, there are still books released with him name, and actually written by others, especially by Michael Greaney and Scott Telep including most recently Command Authority, Locked On, Against All Enemies, Commander in Chief, and Under Fire. Most of these ARE pretty decent and the plotting is similar to old Clancy though the writing style is clearly different. I think the last book Tom Clancy wrote himself was The Teeth of the Tiger.

I'm wondering what's going on, if these other authors had agreements with Clancy to continue writing stories featuring his characters like Jack Ryan, John Clark and Domingo Chavez. These books are also being published at a fast rate compared to Clancy's old novels. However even though they're good exciting reads, its still not quite Tom Clancy.

My second favorite author Vince Flynn also passed away. Now my two favorite authors still alive are Clive Cussler (who also uses co-authors in all his releases now too) and Alex Berenson.
Tom Clancy, sad that he passed. Brilliant author. Ubisoft is still releasing Tom Clancy games and movie shorts.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:14 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Well, as long as the ghost writers aren't very good and make sure to create only one-dimensional characters, while going into pointlessly excruciating technical detail on whatever piece of military hardware is the real star of the novel, who would ever know?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Maybe he started a bunch of books and others are finishing them. He may of had a ton of unfinished work in progress books and his estate us hiring authors to finish them.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 PM

10 posts, read 15,186 times
The publisher and Clancy's family have a contract, along with the other authors, to continue using Clancy's brand. This is common. Some authors still living have other writers writing their novels for them. How do you think they come out with a dozen novels a year?

Try Patriots Betrayed, by John Grit for more CIA spook action.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:53 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,623 times
This happens a lot. For example, take V.C. Andrews who passed away in 1986. The publisher hired a ghost writer named Andrew Neiderman (sp?) who finished her last few books, and then continued cranking out dozens of titles under her name. Publishers don't just publish. They own an authors name, and I'm guessing the families of the authors enjoy the royalties received for allowing their loved one's name on more books for years. It was just creepy to me, as a bookseller, to have the fans who loved the books rave about their favorite author and how soon she could write another book.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:28 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,789 times
isn't that the same with the Nancy Drew novels? I always though Carolyn Keene was an actual person but heard it was a ghost name and many authors were using it? so so weird!

Old 05-29-2016, 06:44 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommander View Post
Because "Tom Clancy" is a brand and if they are using his created worlds then fair enough they attribute him. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Here dat milkin' sound.

Tom Clancy, sad that he passed. Brilliant author. Ubisoft is still releasing Tom Clancy games and movie shorts.
I agree even after all the movies Clancy remains the draw not Ryan as opposed to say the post Flemming James Bond novels and stories.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:42 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
This happens a lot. For example, take V.C. Andrews who passed away in 1986. The publisher hired a ghost writer named Andrew Neiderman (sp?) who finished her last few books, and then continued cranking out dozens of titles under her name. Publishers don't just publish. They own an authors name, and I'm guessing the families of the authors enjoy the royalties received for allowing their loved one's name on more books for years. It was just creepy to me, as a bookseller, to have the fans who loved the books rave about their favorite author and how soon she could write another book.
This is not correct.

Sure, a publisher can acquire the right to an author's name, but this is most certainly not part of the normal author-publisher contract. Typically, a contract applies to one specific work. Some longer deals do happen, but they're usually with successful authors that have a proven track record, and they are invariably very specific - they're not some carte blanche for a publisher to slap an author's name on whatever it likes.

In the case of Tom Clancy, he probably received an extraordinary sum while alive in exchange for the continued use of his name. Such situations are only likely to arise when you have an author who is very successful.

Frankly, the only authors who do not own their names are ones who have made a bundle selling it off (such as Clancy) or those who poorly negotiated their contract with an unscrupulous publisher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books