Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:34 AM

22,915 posts, read 28,256,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Yeah, he 'went to Rome' as he himself termed it. But what's wrong with confession? Christians have been going to confession since the earliest times, as you probably know. It's a good thing!
I agree wholeheartedly. But many Protestant denominations do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Are you trying to profile me?! Btw, Chopin rules.
Chopin is beautiful but lacks punch. Listening to Chopin is like watching a butterfly cross a flower-filled field. Or watching a summer rain.

Listening to Beethoven is liking watching an archangel kindle a star.

They're both beautiful in their own way, but Beethoven has an awe and a majesty that I've never heard in Chopin.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:47 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,615,558 times
Chopin hardly indulged bombast (not every composer needs to) but there is an exquisite beauty to his Nocturnes, Etudes, Preludes and Polonaises (etc.) that I never found in Beet. Chopin's compositions emphasize intricacies. It's a different aesthetic altogether. Cute attempt at belittling him with that butterfly-across-a-field analogy...LOL!

Old 08-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Chopin hardly indulged bombast (not every composer needs to) but there is an exquisite beauty to his Nocturnes, Etudes, Preludes and Polonaises (etc.) that I never found in Beet. Chopin's compositions emphasize intricacies. It's a different aesthetic altogether. Cute attempt at belittling him with that butterfly-across-a-field analogy...LOL!
No belittling intended. I like Chopin. And I like butterflies and fields covered in flowers. It was intended as a compliment. And not a backhanded one. Hand fully forward.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:40 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That you would criticize a book you admit you haven't even read is beyond beyond beyond wrong. Seriously, that isn't an opinion. That is a prejudice.

Lewis was also a great admirer of Blake, and his book is not so much a refutation as a sequel.

But on a broader note: I hope you don't only read books to enforce your own beliefs. Nothing wrong with reading books that do that. But you should also read books that challenge your beliefs, even offend your beliefs. If the beliefs don't stand up to hard scrutiny, then perhaps it's time to change them. If they do, then you've only proven them strong.
I did try to read him while I was a fundamentalist. Even back then I still didn't get him. His books are not for critical thinkers. He just writes what he believes with no objective facts to support them. I know that a lot of people agree with him, and perhaps these people just like the way he writes. But to me his defenses of the faith just make no sense whatsoever.

As far as reading "challenging" literature, the day that Christians begin to do the same I will be all over that idea.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:42 PM

For the record I am a fan of the Beatles, the Who, Beethoven and Chopin. I have never thought to compare any of them against each other.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:52 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
I've read the Narnia books, and what is apparently called the Space Trilogy, and The Screwtape Letters, and a few stray short stories.

And I'm not at all religious.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've read the Narnia books, and what is apparently called the Space Trilogy, and The Screwtape Letters, and a few stray short stories.

And I'm not at all religious.
But isn't it kind of weird to read books that were influenced by a particular religious belief?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:44 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I did try to read him while I was a fundamentalist. Even back then I still didn't get him. His books are not for critical thinkers. He just writes what he believes with no objective facts to support them. I know that a lot of people agree with him, and perhaps these people just like the way he writes. But to me his defenses of the faith just make no sense whatsoever.

As far as reading "challenging" literature, the day that Christians begin to do the same I will be all over that idea.
Did you ever read Lewis' book called Letters to an American Lady? These are letters he wrote to an evangelical (I think) believer here in the States, and his responses are very informative. If you haven't yet read it, I highly recommend doing just that.

You said:
Quote:
He just writes what he believes with no objective facts to support them.
Ahem.... .. isn't this the only way any of us can write about what we believe? Faith comes only by Believing and asking God for illumination. Those who insist on some kind of tangible "proof" are, in my opinion the ones who have already decided Not to believe in God, and are looking for ways to bolster their decision.

The true God of the universe doesn't need to prove Himself to anyone at all! That's an arrogant way of thinking, in my understanding.
Rather, we need to try and make our faith and devotion relevant to Him. Which takes humility and repentance.

Each soul past and present, and to be born on this earth absolutely has complete freedom to choose faith in Him or to choose not to believe. This freedom is sovereign, and not even God Himself interferes with this choice. This thread of thought runs through much, if not all of Lewis' writing, if one can but see it.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:36 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Hi, again, OP!

I have read this thread, in it's entirety about 6 times now because I couldn't figure out what it was I was wanting to say...but finally; it dawned on me!

I feel like when Lewis wrote "The Last Battle" that he wrote it for you...not kidding.

I wish I could explain it but I'm not near as smart as these other posters here & compared to Lewis I'm a total knucklehead.

I wish I would have thought of it before but wow...yep; gotta try that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books