U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 01:39 PM

4,245 posts, read 1,920,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exphysics teacher View Post
Sorry about the spelliing of miller's book. Another post-apocalyptic from the 60's I just thought of is Dark Universe by Daniel Galouye
No worries, I just figure it's easier to track it down with good data. It's hard to tell with the targeting on library cataloging & retail software - sometimes you only have to get close, sometimes you have to actually match the name.

Either way ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 01:44 PM

5,569 posts, read 5,619,292 times
When I was 11, I discovered John Christopher's "Tripods" trilogy. He later released a prequel, making it a tetralogy. I liked them as an 11-year-old, and have read them as an adult and still find them entertaining.

The White Mountains

The City of Gold and Lead

The Pool of Fire

When the Tripods Came (the prequel)

Old 08-16-2016, 03:00 PM

2,938 posts, read 2,219,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
As already mentioned, Cormac McCarthy's The Road. It is quite possibly the most moving novel I have ever read. Beautifully rendered yet searing it is devastation.
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

And Peter Heller's The Dog Stars is a wonderfully wrought story about two men (and our protagonist's beloved dog) - a sort of odd couple pairing - living, about ten years after an apocalyptic plague kills nearly everyone, at a small airport north of Denver. It is one of the best books I've read in the last year.
'Dog Stars' Dwells On The Upside Of Apocalypse

From the late 1980s, I'll mention William Brinkley's The Last Ship. There is a TV series based on this book, though it involves a global plague, whereas the novel involves a nuclear war. The author really doesn't understand radiation effects very much, but the book is otherwise curiously accurate in its technical military renderings - like Tom Clancy, with the added bonus that Brinkley can actually write characters that aren't one dimensional.
The Last Ship by William Brinkley

Finally, I'll mention a series of seven books from the 1980s - The Pelbar Cycle. The stories are all set in North America, one thousand years after a nuclear war has destroyed civilization. The scattered survivors have developed their own small tribes that conflict with one another, living at an iron age level of technology. Much of the series is centered around the upper Mississippi River, though some books range as far as the East Coast, the Gulf Coast, the southwestern deserts and the Pacific Northwest. The prose isn't much and the writing can be trite, but I've always loved the overarching tales and the richly-detailed and wonderfully-imagined world. The first novel in the series is The Breaking of Northwall. I have two complete sets - they're long out of print, but I often run across volumes at used bookstores for a dollar or two apiece, and I'm sure you can find them cheap online.
[I take my username here from a very minor unseen character in the series, mentioned only once.]
Book Review: The Breaking of Northwall
I have read it twice. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a book. It is a very moving story.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:22 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,760,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exphysics teacher View Post
When Worlds Collide
Ahem, you mean After World Collide, I think.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:23 PM

Oh, and The Stand, where God gets us wrong again and goes for reboot #4.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:01 PM

4,245 posts, read 1,920,575 times
Default Watch the sky ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exphysics teacher
When Worlds Collide

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Ahem, you mean After Worlds Collide, I think.

No, they're both good. Both written by the same team, & WWC was turned into a movie in 1951 & there was a newer version in 2012 - or @ least, it was in preproduction. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Worlds_Collide

Old 08-16-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by exphysics teacher
When Worlds Collide

No, they're both good. Both written by the same team, & WWC was turned into a movie in 1951 & there was a newer version in 2012 - or @ least, it was in preproduction. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Worlds_Collide
And "When..." is 97% pre-apocalypse.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:43 PM

3,496 posts, read 5,462,250 times
I enjoyed this one years ago, especially since I was living in the SF Bay Area.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/p...long-after.htm

Old 08-17-2016, 06:17 AM

And for a TV show: Life After People Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY

The HyFy channel is iffy at best, but this was interesting.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:16 PM

106 posts, read 53,712 times
Pulling through by Dean Ing

The Steel, the Mist, and the Blazing Sun by Christopher Anvil

Daybreak 2250 A.D. by Andre Norton (also titled Starman's Son)

These 3 run the gamut from while it's happening to long afterwards.

TU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or