U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 11:08 AM

52 posts, read 38,614 times

Advertisements

I also enjoyedsorry don't remember authors)
Dark Universe, Lucifers Hammer, Triumph, Footfall,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 04:04 AM

21 posts, read 4,477 times
I also prefer stories in other worlds that attract you to them, but unfortunately I did not read novels on this matter just short stories on Kindle
But for novels, I liked the Hobbit

Old 09-25-2019, 04:14 AM

Location: “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who
129 posts, read 37,150 times
Out of the ashes - Johnston

He has an entire ASHES series.

Any of you guys visit the SS&Preparedness forum?

Old 09-25-2019, 04:42 AM

2,521 posts, read 766,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM Ebraham View Post
I also prefer stories in other worlds that attract you to them, but unfortunately I did not read novels on this matter just short stories on Kindle
But for novels, I liked the Hobbit
A long time ago, I recognized a correlation between my interest in post-apocalyptic fiction and Tolkien-esque fantasy.

The fantasy genre is typically one of mysterious ruins in a lightly-populated world of limited government authority and various bands of bad guys might fall upon our protagonist at any moment.

Interestingly, that also applies to the post-apocalyptic genre. Sure, there's no wizards or elves/dwarfs, but the parallels are still there.

The one key difference is that while fantasy novels are, well, pure fantasy, there's an element of possibility to well-done post-apocalyptic works. Many of them plausibly describe the conceivable aftermath of a nuclear exchange or a global pandemic or a Malthusian collapse or somesuch. And the idea that this could actually happen lends a certain vividness to those tales. This realization made me understand that in post-apocalyptic fiction, I was finding a certain non-fantasy analog to the sword-and-sorcery books I had loved as a teen.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:27 PM

88 posts, read 15,545 times
Not a big Stephen King fan but really like his Darktower series.

One I haven't reread in a long time: The Day of the Triffids

David Wingrove's Chung Kuo series is another.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:37 AM

9,987 posts, read 11,863,474 times
My favorite is Jerry Ahern's The Survivalist series. Do read them in order. There's a preview on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Total-War-Sur...XB02WCZT7XT3NT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or