U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 03:35 PM

10,220 posts, read 6,580,145 times

Advertisements

DH and I both love books that deal with what happens after TEOTWAWKI.

Books we liked:

Alas Babylon
Earth Abides
One Second After

Please suggest works we might not have read. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 03:37 PM

3,299 posts, read 2,044,965 times
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler

Old 08-15-2016, 03:45 PM

9,806 posts, read 5,831,538 times
Read the Hugh Howey Silo series: Wool, Shift, and Dust. A separate story, also good, is Sand.

I recently read The Southern Reach trilogy by James VanderMeer. It's not TEOTWAWKI, it's more how TEOTWAWKI happened.

Agree that Cormac McCarthy's The Road is a great read.

Looking forward to leads on other good books.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:23 PM

54 posts, read 40,246 times
Cantile for Lebowitz
One Year later
Triumph-Wylie
Lucifers Hammer
When Worlds Collide
Just a few that come to mind. If you google post Apocalyptic sci fi there is a guy name Dan who has list of many others

Old 08-15-2016, 05:45 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,841,172 times
As already mentioned, Cormac McCarthy's The Road. It is quite possibly the most moving novel I have ever read. Beautifully rendered yet searing it is devastation.
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

And Peter Heller's The Dog Stars is a wonderfully wrought story about two men (and our protagonist's beloved dog) - a sort of odd couple pairing - living, about ten years after an apocalyptic plague kills nearly everyone, at a small airport north of Denver. It is one of the best books I've read in the last year.
'Dog Stars' Dwells On The Upside Of Apocalypse

From the late 1980s, I'll mention William Brinkley's The Last Ship. There is a TV series based on this book, though it involves a global plague, whereas the novel involves a nuclear war. The author really doesn't understand radiation effects very much, but the book is otherwise curiously accurate in its technical military renderings - like Tom Clancy, with the added bonus that Brinkley can actually write characters that aren't one dimensional.
The Last Ship by William Brinkley

Finally, I'll mention a series of seven books from the 1980s - The Pelbar Cycle. The stories are all set in North America, one thousand years after a nuclear war has destroyed civilization. The scattered survivors have developed their own small tribes that conflict with one another, living at an iron age level of technology. Much of the series is centered around the upper Mississippi River, though some books range as far as the East Coast, the Gulf Coast, the southwestern deserts and the Pacific Northwest. The prose isn't much and the writing can be trite, but I've always loved the overarching tales and the richly-detailed and wonderfully-imagined world. The first novel in the series is The Breaking of Northwall. I have two complete sets - they're long out of print, but I often run across volumes at used bookstores for a dollar or two apiece, and I'm sure you can find them cheap online.
[I take my username here from a very minor unseen character in the series, mentioned only once.]
Book Review: The Breaking of Northwall

Old 08-15-2016, 07:55 PM

8,667 posts, read 4,814,841 times
What is ~TEOTWAWKI? I'm thinking 'the end of the world'- something? as we know it?

I loved the first book in the Stranded series~Land (Stranded #1) by Theresa Shaver

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 08-15-2016 at 08:08 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 08:19 PM

6,028 posts, read 5,816,758 times
Pure by Julianna Baggot (series of 3)

Exceptional, stunning.

I also enjoyed Mara and Dann by Doris Lessing

The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri Tepper

Wool series by Hugh Howie.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:28 PM

4,395 posts, read 1,978,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exphysics teacher View Post
Cantile for Lebowitz
Usually A canticle for Leibowitz - Walter Miller - libraries tend to have it, or maybe online. It is a classic.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:03 AM

54 posts, read 40,246 times
Sorry about the spelliing of miller's book. Another post-apocalyptic from the 60's I just thought of is Dark Universe by Daniel Galouye

Old 08-16-2016, 10:57 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,789,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
DH and I both love books that deal with what happens after TEOTWAWKI.

Books we liked:

Alas Babylon
Earth Abides

One Second After

Please suggest works we might not have read. Thanks!
My first thoughts upon seeing this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or