Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times

Advertisements

Would Mary Shelley's Frankenstein be considered chick-lit?
Anywayz, I'm of the opinion that the early Dungeons & Dragons fantasy genre is mainly guy-lit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Hmm. . . thinking here. . . Mary Shelley's Frankenstein as chick-lit?

Not sure I see that. In what context, exactly? That the monster destroys Frankenstein's Elizabeth so the good DR can fathom the loneliness the monster experiences?

I did read a great take-off on Frankenstein, years ago -- something along the lines of Elizabeth's Diary. Like I commented upon earlier, I do like a clever sequel to a classic. Admittedly, some attempts fail miserably, but every once in a while, you come across a treasure.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Mary Shelley's book would make an excellent discussion. Much has been written about it, and many theories abound. And I have a really beautiful antique version of it here somewhere.

Tricky D perhaps you'd like to start on a thread on it?

But as to its classification as "chick-lit," I'd vote no. My own reading of Shelley criticisms makes me think it is more an opera mask not a beach side read.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by RDSLOTS
Quote:
Not sure I see that. In what context, exactly?
Well, giving birth and raising children is considered feminine right?
If you treat your child, in this story Frankenstein's monster, as a monster and you wish you never had it, you should not be suprised that it turns into a (psychologically scarred) monster; the hole nature vs. nurture thing.
Granted just because the lead characters are both male and the Victorian age was predominantly male oriented, one could forget that the story is written by a woman from a female perspective. If the monster was animated by magic instead of science it would be more feminine. SF and / or science is mostly regarded male while magic is regarded female.
Or maybe the whole concept of chick-lit is vague to me.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 PM

Mary Shelley is a more than average writer of interest. Not only was she the wife of a well-known poet, she was the daughter of Mary Wollstonecraft.

If my memory is still operating, both the influence of her rather out-spoken mother and free-thinking husband contributed largely to the writing of Frankenstein.

Some analysts suggest the book is more socio-political than romance in the guise of a novel.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein science fiction or fantasy?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 PM

You've asked that question before, Tricky D, and I don't believe it has a simple answer. But perhaps these 9 articles will help establish the complexity of the writing to your satisfaction.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:01 PM

I know but since the topic is called Is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein... I wanted to ask it again to no one in particular without going off topic.
I just find it hard to place (some) stories in a certain genre.
To me SF and fantasy are the same, but I don't believe that many people will agree with me.
But at least everyone will agree with me that SF and fantasy are both fiction.

Thx for the link.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:04 PM

At least a few of the articles in the link address that very question: Fantasy or Science Fiction.

What I find fascinating is that it was not intended to be either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I know but since the topic is called Is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein... I wanted to ask it again to no one in particular without going off topic.
I just find it hard to place (some) stories in a certain genre.
To me SF and fantasy are the same, but I don't believe that many people will agree with me.
But at least everyone will agree with me that SF and fantasy are both fiction.

Thx for the link.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:09 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Wish it was recommended reading for parents who create 'monsters' by their ignoring their offspring approach to child-rearing -- especially those who appease children by giving them everything they want, in terms of material things, and not necessarily love, just to keep the darlings out of their hair.

OK, that may be way off topic?

I agree with the socio-political analysis. It was one of my HS Seniors' favorite reads in Brit Lit for that very reason. We had great discussions on who exactly was the monster and why. Shelley's bio makes for interesting reading.

TrickyD, are we being conned into a discussion of Shelley's work to give you fodder for a term paper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books