Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:12 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
Here's a good one, though it may not provide enough info. It's extremely interesting, though:

Amazon.com: Booknotes: Stories from American History: Brian Lamb: Books
Actually, Jickler, this book is on my Amazon Wish List that I have politely informed all friends and relatives over the years that if they ever want to gift me something I would love - Go To My Wish List! It has turned out just right so many times.

I think I may have to add this title to "My Cart", because it has been on the list long enough!!

Thanks, for reminding me of Lamb's book, one of several Booknotes books that he wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 11:38 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,071 times
It doesn't get much more relevant or comprehensive than People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present by Howard Zinn

Scathing, scholarly, and depressing as hell.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Kumud, do check back in, if time permits, and let us know if any of these recommendations are helpful.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:26 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
There are some texts written by Wirth - I've been trying and trying, but I just can't remember the titles. I can, however, clearly remember our US history teacher telling us to look it up [whatever it was] in Wirth.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 AM

71 posts, read 209,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Kumud, do check back in, if time permits, and let us know if any of these recommendations are helpful.
My bad I hadn't check this thread in ages
I'd say definitely
In Search of Tocqueville's Democracy in America
add to that the site that you mentioned very user -friendly.
I'm still working on getting to the other books mentionned .
Thank you guys

Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumud View Post
Which ones would you recommend to a non -American, person wanting to get the basics on the origin and dynamics of the U.S .
Some kind of comprehensive but thorough book covering a variety of topics such as politics, religion, ,immigration, and various industries etc... past and present.
Honestly? There two books by Richard Shenkman I'd check out. One is called "Lies, Legends, and other Cherished Myths"; the other is along the same lines.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:33 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,250 times
My recommendations:

A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present by Howard Zinn
Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James Loewen

Both tell the "untold stories" of American history and tell history through a fresh point of view, backed by factual evidence, and aim to dispel false, eurocentric, or mythologized views of history. A fascinating read.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,657 times
One of the best series of historical novels I have ever read is John Jakes "Kent Family Chronicles".
It is an 8 book series of a fictional family intertwined with factually correct people, places, and events. The way the author blends in the fictional family with actual American history is superb. I learned more about American history from reading these books than I ever learned in a class room or from reading school text books on history.
John Jakes writes in a way that makes you feel like you were there and experiencing the events.
I highly recommend this series.
They were written back in the 70's and I have worn mine out from reading the books again and again over the years.
I am going to try to find this series of books on ebay and buy them again.
I enjoyed and learned more about the ideas, everyday life and attitudes and struggles of early Americans from the Kent Family Chronicles than I ever learned in a class room.
The Kent family is fictional although there is a Kent or Kentland in England still today. The historical facts were as correct as research could make them.
A very good read.
I think they should be required reading in every high school in the country.
Did I mention I really liked these books??
I am an American history buff and it takes something a little special to really get me interested since I have read so much on the subject.
This series of books really grabbed my attention.
There is one drawback though. I have found myself still reading when the birds started chirping in the morning.
Whoops. Where did the time go?

Old 05-07-2008, 02:19 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,564 times
"Democracy in America" is THE book to read. I couldn't be emphatic enough to get this point across. If someone wants to understand America, that is it.

"The Wealth of Nations" by Smith is another MUST READ for any American.

Locke's "Second Treatise of Government" is the foundation of American government philosophy.

"The Constitution: For and Against" includes not only the Federalist Papers, but also the arguments against the Constitution that were made in speeches and writings by the likes of Patrick Henry and many others. This is another amazing, amazing book. I prefer it over the Federalist Papers by themselves because the opposing views put the papers in perspective.

These books represent what America is. You read just one of them, and you'll be a better American. You read them all, well, you'll be a very proud American.

Once a couple of those are taken in, I'd just read and read any book on American history by reputable authors. For a quick overview of our history, I'd just watch documentaries.

I would avoid Zinn like the plague unless you're looking to mislead someone. I suppose it's factually accurate, however, when you read the books I recommend first, you'll spend page after page rolling your eyes. He's a pathetic author who seems to view America through the eyes of citizen of the USSR... He's really out there... Wholly irreputable.

"1776" is a great book. However, I don't know if that's what you're looking for. It's pretty detailed about one year of the Revolution. It's a book worth reading, for sure. However, I don't know if it'll fit your goals. It's primarily strategy oriented, I'd say.

Last edited by One Thousand; 05-07-2008 at 02:29 AM..

Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
These books represent what America is. You read just one of them, and you'll be a better American. You read them all, well, you'll be a very proud American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I would avoid Zinn like the plague unless you're looking to mislead someone. I suppose it's factually accurate, however, when you read the books I recommend first, you'll spend page after page rolling your eyes. He's a pathetic author who seems to view America through the eyes of citizen of the USSR... He's really out there... Wholly irreputable.
Factually accurate, yet irreputible... Factually accurate, but really out there... I suppose the appreciation for this book comes through in one's political leanings, and this is probably not the forum for such a debate. [Mod Cut]

Should the goal of a historical study be strictly laudatory? That smells wrong to me. As an example: After reading Zinn I read A Patriot's History of the United States, and was disgusted...through the whole book actually, but specifically in the very short section on Westward Expansion and our treatment of Native Americans. It said something to the effect of, "And there was a bit of trouble with the natives..." Zinn spent a bit more time on it than that. Why the disparity? Why is it unpatriotic to admit to flaws? I know you didn't bring up the Patriot's History, 1000, but the books you mentioned, while great in their own ways, do not complete the history, especially considering the fact that they're a bit on the old side. What do you suggest for a "complete" history of the U.S.?

I hear constantly that the history we're taught in schools is biased by the left, but I couldn't possibly disagree more. All I remember about History class in my middle/high school years was the requisite memorization of dates and the distinct feeling I wasn't getting the whole story.

Last edited by ontheroad; 05-07-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books