Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times

Advertisements

I am interested in hearing if anyone has any recommendations for literary novels in which faith plays a decent role. I am not looking for Christian genre fiction. No Amish love stories and I prefer not to read books that are sometimes referred to as apostate fiction. I thoroughly enjoyed Leif Enger's Peace Like a River and The Girl Who Slept With God. I also enjoyed the book by the British writer, whose name now escapes me. A well-known writer and the book was about an adulterous love affair and the reasons why the woman did not continue it were religious. Duh. Maybe it was called The Affair? Green, the author? That's starting to sound familiar to me as I type it. Ah ha. The End of the Affair by Graham Greene. I'm sure I've read others I can't think of at the present time but hopefully the ones I mentioned will give you guys an idea of what I'm looking for.

The faith aspect doesn't have to be Christian - just a religious/faith aspect as it might take place in an average person kind of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 04:26 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,835 times
In The Screwtape Letters, C. S. Lewis provides a series of lessons in the importance of taking a deliberate role in Christian faith by portraying a typical human life, with all its temptations and failings, seen from devils' viewpoints.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
Have you read Michael Phillips A Rift in Time? I enjoyed the premise but found it over wordy at times. Have you read any of Taylor Caldwell's novels? If not, I recommend Great Lion of God as a starting point.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:00 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
The first line of John Irving's A Prayer For Owen Meany:

"I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice - not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany."

Despite the title and the line, this book is about faith and not Christianity, though Christianity is used as the vehicle to explore the concept of faith.

I am an atheist, and this is one of my favorite books - not because of the subject, but because John Irving is brilliant and this is him at the absolute top of his literary game. I still prefer Garp to this book for a variety of reasons, but it is clear that between the publication of that earlier work and this one, Irving polished his literary chops.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:25 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
After I posted, I thought of another author you might like to try. Susan Howatch's Starbridge series of books.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:30 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Anne Tyler's Saint Maybe perhaps?

https://www.amazon.com/Saint-Maybe-A.../dp/0449911608

Old 10-07-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Have you read Michael Phillips A Rift in Time? I enjoyed the premise but found it over wordy at times. Have you read any of Taylor Caldwell's novels? If not, I recommend Great Lion of God as a starting point.
Thanks very much. I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
In The Screwtape Letters, C. S. Lewis provides a series of lessons in the importance of taking a deliberate role in Christian faith by portraying a typical human life, with all its temptations and failings, seen from devils' viewpoints.
I've read that one. Thanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

"I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice - not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany."

Despite the title and the line, this book is about faith and not Christianity, though Christianity is used as the vehicle to explore the concept of faith.

I am an atheist, and this is one of my favorite books - not because of the subject, but because John Irving is brilliant and this is him at the absolute top of his literary game. I still prefer Garp to this book for a variety of reasons, but it is clear that between the publication of that earlier work and this one, Irving polished his literary chops.
That has been on my to-read list for a while but it somehow got lost in the shuffle. I will try that one, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
After I posted, I thought of another author you might like to try. Susan Howatch's Starbridge series of books.
I've downloaded the sample. Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That sounds quite interesting. It might be a while before I get it as it doesn't appear to be available on kindle.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

I just started reading it and I think this is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks again for bumping it up from wherever it was on my to-read list.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Have you read Life of Pi? The first part of the book is about a young Indian boy struggling with his faith. The second part is a tale of the boy's survival after a shipwreck when he finds himself in a lifeboat with a tiger... At the very end, you have to think very hard about what and how you believe stories of experiences that seem beyond belief.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Have you read Life of Pi? The first part of the book is about a young Indian boy struggling with his faith. The second part is a tale of the boy's survival after a shipwreck when he finds himself in a lifeboat with a tiger... At the very end, you have to think very hard about what and how you believe stories of experiences that seem beyond belief.
I LOVED that book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books