Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'm happy to say I've never "read a book on Kindle" or any other e-reader, and I don't plan to.
You and I are kindred spirits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 12:50 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Doing three books right now, in addition to the other half read books lying around that haven't been picked up for a while.

A Cousteau coffee table book on whales and "Captives of a Savage Empire" by Jean Lorrah. The latter was a paperback that I picked up at sale value back in May and it somehow managed to come to the surface in my home. Must have been in a book bag that got tipped over. It's a nice fantasy get away book, of interesting people with good descriptions of distant lands.

Then there is "Cruising Attitude" by Heather Poole (memoirs of a long time flight attendant), another book that floated to the surface to be read. I'll start that one tonight at work....I hope.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:10 AM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Expanding our view of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt
I'm happy to say I've never "read a book on Kindle" or any other e-reader, and I don't plan to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
You and I are kindred spirits!
Or more likely, Kindle-less spirits.

But yes, reading is a good thing, in & of itself. I encourage everyone to read - because reading can take you outside of yourself, into different thoughts, words, worlds, settings.

I anticipate that escapist literature will sell really well for the next cycle.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:08 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
I read real books. On my Kindle.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Quote:

But yes, reading is a good thing, in & of itself. I encourage everyone to read - because reading can take you outside of yourself, into different thoughts, words, worlds, settings.

I like your sense of humor, southwest88 and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Blows against the empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I read real books. On my Kindle.
Yep, you're right. The format of the book shouldn't matter that much. I'm just pleased that people read @ all any more. I think of reading as a tiny blow for the rational side of the World, chipping away @ all the irrationality out there.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:51 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
I went to the Kentucky Book Fair last weekend, and it was jammed! I ran into lots of acquaintances from various aspects of my life, met with several favorite authors, heard interesting lectures and panel discussions, and bought stacks of books for myself and for Christmas giving. Had a great time.

All those interesting new books (both fiction and non-fiction) provided welcome consolation and comfort following last Tuesday - I read six books in about four days before emerging into the less pleasant real world once again.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:19 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Quote:

I've read more books in the past week than I have read in the past 3 months!

I read one book that made me sob like a baby and it was still better than the news.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:52 AM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
OP your prices sound more than fair. I sell books to a used bookstore a couple of times a year. Do you have one in your area?

Old 11-17-2016, 11:07 AM

Default Live & learn

Reading The Wives of Los Alamos, TaraShea Nesbit, c2014. Quirky novel, based on real events - WWII & the Atomic City in NM. Interesting read so far. All kinds of people - military, civilian, locals (Native People, Hispanic, often as maids, cooks, nannies) thrown together, isolated, with security protocols to work through. The Native People apparently spoke as many as 3 languages - Tewa (their native), Spanish, English - interested to see if the military/civilians learned any Spanish or Tewa.

Some of the locals & civilians struck up friendships. A facet of WWII that I'd never considered. It's always something ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books